Wiring portable radio to 12v battery

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by capslock118, Jan 17, 2013.

1. capslock118

capslock118 New Member

For Xmas I received a cute radio that can take ac power or run off 2 d batteries.

You might say this is sufficient....but I'm kind of a Tim the tool man Taylor... Interested in doing things my way but will probably screw it up and cause a fire.

What I'd like is, rather than carrying around single use d batteries for my radio, instead run off the 12v deep cycle battery I have on my pup.

Obviously using the ac plug would not work. Im thinking I'd need something that will step down the volts from 12 to 3 volts. And I only assume three because it takes 2 d cells.

I'm at a loss on what that part it is I need, the part that would do the step down. A fuse wouldn't do that, fuses concern amps. Can anyone flash a light in the right direction?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

2. bondebond

bondebond New Member

For $18.95, you too can own the PowerStream DC to DC voltage converter found here.
    12 volt to 1.5V, 3V, 4.5V, 6V, 7.5V, 9V Volt DC/DC Converter and uses a standard 12 volt cigarette lighter plug for the source voltage. I just did a Google search on "12 volt to 3 volt" and came up with that. I've never used it or anything of the sort so I can't say how effective it is.

Just add a 12 volt outlet like this if you don't already have one and that keeps it pretty simple.