Wiring repair question - 12v wiring up into the roof

bknjohnson

Tyngsboro MA
Apr 1, 2006
Tyngsboro, MA
So, the last camping trip the ceiling interior lighting stopped working, right after we popped up. Long story short, thanks to those on the forum, troubleshooting revealed the wiring that runs on the outside of the PUP on one corner had pulled apart from the connector to the wires that go into the roof. The connector was toast. I fixed it temporarily, here's my question. The stretch of wire that is on the corner itself is very easy to replace if needed, a zipper compartment opens up, and there it is. The problem is the end of the wire that goes into the roof is so short, it's difficult to reach, and the repair I made today I do not believe is going to last. The wire coming from the roof is very difficult to insert into another connector without trimming and splicing it again. Is there any slack inside the roof for that wire? Or is this a case of no matter how many times I cut the wire, it keeps getting shorter? Any suggestions? The picture attached is looking straight up from the ground, not a lot of room to work from the outside, might be something to tackle from inside later this year.

Attachments

• Wiring corner.jpg
    Wiring corner.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 32

pej

Jul 17, 2013
They are getting short, but there is still enough to work with. Crimp on butt connectors to wiring that is long enough to get to the next connection point.

4833f9772d33584bf079670a4a8ba702.jpg

PEJ
2001 Palomino Pony 21/2011 Ford Escape
headpond.ca/Palomino.html

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
The wires come out of the tenting at the top near the lift post. Try a cord (tightly) to the wire(s) and pull the wire out through/at the top. You can now make the wire longer and then pull it back out of the bottom with the cord. I would solder and insulate the connection. This would make a strong smaller connection point and last mush longer.

bknjohnson

Tyngsboro MA
Apr 1, 2006
Tyngsboro, MA
Hi PEJ, I used butt connectors originally for the first repair, and when I popped up today to work on it, the wire had pulled right out again. Must be I didn't crimp it well enough, I was tool-limited at the campground. When I bring the roof down later this week it might be easier for me to get too and try again.

Hi Raycfe, I have plenty of wire length running up and down the corner of the canvas, and actually it's very easy to replace that entire piece if I needed too. The zipper seen on the right side of the photo just makes a small channel for the wire from top to bottom. Any suggestions for the section escaping into the roof, the shorter piece in the photo heading straight up from the blue wire nut?

Thanks both, I appreciate the assist.

pej

Jul 17, 2013
If your ceiling lights are screwed to the ceiling (vs riveted), then remove the screws to see if the wiring in the photo simply travels through the ceiling cavity loosely. If they are not stapled and not binding then you could fish in new longer wiring.
Careful not to get yourself in a pickle. Do one at a time. The joint to the new wire should not be thicker than the wire in case it has some tight spots to go through and don't force it or in may break off.

PEJ
2001 Palomino Pony 21/2011 Ford Escape
headpond.ca/Palomino.html

gruss

Super Active Member
May 6, 2014
I remember a long long time ago my friend had a brand new pop up. Same issue, I soldered in a couple inches of wire for slack and used some heat shrink. As far as I know it never failed again. If you've never soldered practice first before ya get around the tenting.

sent from a phone.

real lite virgin

Rob,Suzanne & Jessie - Black Lab
Apr 15, 2010
If you are able to, solder a piece of wire onto the piece coming out of the roof and put some heat shrink on it. If you can then slide that piece up into the roof so you have extra wire for future repairs.

Rob