Wiring Standards

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by AlexVanEks, Aug 20, 2019.

1. AlexVanEks

AlexVanEks Member

Okay so I'm new to this whole pup thing and my old girl Belle is from 1986. Many campgrounds up here have limits on age of your campers, and I want to tell them where to put that :)

What I'm planning to do is a complete rewiring of my pup to add a dedicated circuit for AC and one for 'everything else' - which entails led lighting and maybe charging phone or running fans. I'm planning to replace the incandescent fixtures with new LED inside and out, as well as add new GFCI outlets on the interior for safety.

What I don't know is what the current standards are in RVs for wiring. I'm not sure what to look for, so here I am. I want to be up to code (my uncle is a licensed residential electrician and an electrical engineer, so I have help ) and be both functional and safe. If I'm going to take the time to do this, I'm doing it right so I don't have to do it again.

Any direction is appreciated

2. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Here is a typical wiring setup for a 30A system for the 120VAC and 12VDC distribution panels...

[​IMG]

The typical 30A Wiring configuration for the 120VAC and 112VDC Distribution panels...
    [​IMG]
    Google images...

A good reading place on-line for RV wiring is NOSHOCKZONE.org... Using family Wiring Professionals has one drawback whereas if they wire it up wrong and burn up a bunch of high dollar components guess who pays for it. using the RV Places has Insurance to cover mistakes...

Just saying haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  3. AlexVanEks

AlexVanEks Member

Thanks for the diagrams! They make zero sense to me but I'm sure my uncle will know lol. I figure if he can wire a house/garage/hot tub/pool/etc he can assist me wiring a camper.
    More than anything I want to make sure the wiring is up to the current standards so I can go camp anywhere. I mean the majority of it is tail and running light so that can't be too hard, right?? (Famous last words!!!)

I will definitely check that site out. If they have camper wiring for dummies that would be great

4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

RV wiring usually follows the NEC recommendations for house wiring, thus the black is hot rule. The main concerns are that the 12 volt and 110 volt systems do not get crossed.

AlexVanEks likes this.
  5. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I doubt if the limits on age of the camper has anything to do with the electrical wiring.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

That's exactly what I'm thinking as well. I mean updating your electricity will probably be beneficial but if it's a private campground they just like to cater to the fancy big rigs and trying to discourage other, hate to say it, "lower class campers". Been to one private campground with a similar rule and boy you would think I was pond scum judging by their I'm all mighter attitude. Hated that place. In my experience, state and national parks don't have those type rules and don't treat you as inferior. Not saying all private campgrounds are like that, but it will take research to determine the good from the "bad".

AlexVanEks likes this.
  7. AlexVanEks

AlexVanEks Member

Thanks so much! The NEC tag will be super beneficial for me :)

Yeah, it's kind of what I figured too. I kind of want to tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine with my remodeled camper I'm really petty at the end of the day lmao.

8. NavarWynn

NavarWynn Member

While it seems most RV wiring follows NEC Residential 'standards', this shouldn't be assumed. However, if you are doing a complete rewire, then the old wiring is a moot point. You are certainly safe to rewire by these standards, but the extent of the wiring depends on what you are installing - and thus, how complicated the job is. As the component diagram above demonstrates, even with a relatively simple pop-up, you can certainly make it complicated...

As far as the running lights and brake lights go, for simplicity sake, if you have no brakes on your pup, and don't need to charge a 12V battery with your towing vehicle, simply wiring them w/ basic 4 wire light circuit may be the simplest thing to do, and can be done with a completely separate circuit - requiring zero tie in to the rest of the popup's wiring. I am doing this temporarily until I install a new battery pack, and tie it in to the converter, charger, and the TV charging cable - once that's done, the TT's running lights will still be mostly separate, but share a common frame ground, and the 6/7 pin connector to the TV.