Wiring Woes

Discussion in 'Nebraska' started by akriot, Jan 11, 2020.

1. akriot

akriot Active Member

I have an interesting problem for you folks. I bought a little motorcycle pop up (350lbs) to tow behind my 2018 Honda Civic Hatchback. From what I learned this car is not set up to accept a wiring harness for trailer lights. It's my understanding a universal type harness would have to be spliced in to my wiring system on the car. I believe that would void my warranty?? 20200105_135413.jpg I did find an alternative and wonder if you could help me determine if it is viable or if it is junk and to be avoided. Thanks in advance for your time and especially for your expertise.
    https://www.autoanything.com/towing/tow-ready-taillight-converter

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

A google search for 2018 Honda Civic towing wire harness showed a lot of options. Go to Etrailer and find the appropriate kit. Its plug and play after that.
    Etrailer says this works.
    https://www.etrailer.com/p-C59236.html

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Milemaker13 and akriot like this.
  3. akriot

akriot Active Member

I'm beginning to wonder if the guy at the Uhaul place knew what he was talking about. I don't like to bash anybody but he was the one who told me that they didn't make a plug and play harness for my car.

Milemaker13 likes this.
  4. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I edited my first reply with a link to what etrailer says works for the hatchback. I would give them a call and trust what they say over someone at Uhaul.

Milemaker13, akriot and kcsa75 like this.
  5. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

ANY vehicle can be wired to power a trailer the vehicle it's towing HOWEVER many newer vehicles don't take kindly to the additional load by simply splicing into the vehicle's tail & brake lights. What the Uhaul guy was saying is that there isn't a kit that will allow you to power the trailer's lights directly from the vehicle's lighting system because it's wire gauge isn't sufficient to power both the vehicle AND trailer lights. The solution is a POWERED tail light converter, which is what bheff has linked to. Using this solution means power to actually run your trailer's running & brake lights comes directly from the vehicle's battery / alternator system while the splices you make into the vehicle's lights are used only as a sense voltage, thereby protecting your vehicle's light gauge wiring. Powered converters are available from a variety of manufacturers, one of the originals being Modulite which these days is a Draw-Tite product.

https://www.draw-tite.com/products/electrical-wiring/power-converters/modulite-protector/!FQHI|fPlggjiHowRSguPQ1CG07IspwAbwUS5gBVJK4=

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    kcsa75 likes this.
  6. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

I installed the same kind of harness for my Jeep Liberty, had to run a new power lead to the battery - I ran it under the car, and got several eyefuls of grit.

akriot likes this.
  7. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

My jeep was the same way. Had to run a power wire to the battery but it was easy mind the road grime.

akriot likes this.
  8. akriot

akriot Active Member

What you say makes all the sense in the world. Here is a link to what the U haul guy was going to put in period he would have spliced it into my system at least that's what he said. https://www.google.com/search?sourc...22i10i30.5d_bcxYUAns#lbl=OVERVIEW&pie=plaji-i

9. akriot

akriot Active Member

This is the one the Uhaul guy wanted to put in...he told me it might void my warranty. :(
    So does the one I linked to in the op work? It does not splice into the wire.

10. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Seeing as how you've already established the U-haul rep's limited knowledge on the subject, I would not recommend you take their word about the impact to your vehicle warranty. I'd check with the dealer directly regarding the impact, if any, to your warranty.

akriot likes this.
  11. akriot

akriot Active Member

Thanks! I'll call the dealer on Monday to see what they have to say.

12. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

That is the correct universal kit for your Civic. The reason "experts" are talking you not ...... is that you just can't plug it in. The wires will have to tapped into the Civic's wiring. It also have a separate power lead, meaning the currant sent to the Civic's taillights does not go the trailer lights ....... it only triggers the new convertor , which uses power form the battery to power the trailer lights. Your Civic's wires will be very small in gauge so the tapping has to be done carefully. I would recommend shaving back the insulation on one side of the needed wires and sliding the convertor wires under the uncovered wire and soldering. Tape each one up and you should be good to go. The dealer and uhaul would be the last place I would go.

akriot likes this.
  13. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

akriot likes this.
  14. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Even better ....
    IMG_0870.JPG

akriot likes this.
  15. akriot

akriot Active Member

16. akriot

akriot Active Member

I learned a lot today. I watched several videos, read instructions for several similar kits and read all of the comments here. Not sure I'm ready to do the job myself, but I do have a good shop that used to work on my old car that I can go to.

17. akriot

akriot Active Member

I want to thank all of you for your help with this question. My old mechanic will put in the model that is hard wired, solder the connections. I read about the Magnuson Moss Act which allows modifications on a vehicle with aftermarket parts. The dealer cannot void your warranty because you have modified your vehicle. The onus is on the manufacturer to prove that the aftermarket part is the cause of the system failure. @bheff @GreyFox @Raycfe @generok

Anthony Hitchings likes this.
  18. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

It is early in the morning and I am half asleep. The question in my mind was not seen earlier in this thread. If Honda was going to complain it wont be about wiring a brake light. The question is are you permitted to tow?? A quick check of the internet indicates it can. Between 1000 and 1500 depending on model. Call the Dealer and ask.

Maybe I'll think differently at lunch when I wake up. Only on the second cup.

19. akriot

akriot Active Member

Yes...tow capacity is 1000lbs. The whole thing started when the Uhaul guy mentioned that installing the wiring harness may void my warranty. :(

20. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

Real mechanics do not solder connections. That's a red flag to me.