Wolf attacks

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by nineoaks2004, Aug 26, 2019.

1. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I thought some of y'all would be interested in this
    https://www.outsideonline.com/2401179/wolf-attacks-family-banff-national-park

2. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

That is why I am glad I can live where a gun is always just inches from my hand.
    Everywhere I camp.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  3. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

I always carry anyways and camping is no different. The surprising thing about this story is he is a police officer you would think he would have had one with him.

alabasterjar, Kampus and campfire Joe like this.
  4. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

It is hard for US citizens to have a gun in Canada.

5. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Gee guys, some of us live in the middle of wolf country. Attacks are sooooo rare and we don't carry iron for them. Maybe we should drive and talk on the phone, if we'd like to live on the edge.....
    IMG_1940.jpg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  6. Minimalist

Minimalist Active Member

I live in metro Atlanta. Driving on 285 is way more dangerous than any animal could ever be. Oh, and I ride a bicycle on the road. I don't need no gun when camping. ;)

7. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Ask Matthew Pelsoli what he thinks now.

8. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

E8D3D244-A19C-490E-BF5A-8E61A552C801.jpeg Last weekend.

9. myride

myride Well-Known Member

It's IMPOSSIBLE for any visitor to be carrying in Canada.....that's our gun laws.

10. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Could have happened anywhere...the wolf was destroyed, was found to be old, sick and malnourished. ...hense the reason it took the chance.

11. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

This is crap. He's going to reach for a gun while a wolf has his hand in its mouth?? That would be one well trained sob. Wrong place, wrong time. I don't care who carries and who doesn't, but let's be realistic - sh*t happens.

Dan Wilson, Mike76, Kampus and 5 others like this.
  12. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Well said Mike.

13. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

94457662-4029-4A0E-B44F-44316DBC032F.jpeg Why couldn’t it have been this knucklehead?

14. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

They have a small herd at Paynes prairie SP (Gainesville Fl area), Ranger told me about an idiot that climber the fence to get a closer picture of the Bison
    the animal charged and the Ranger jerked him back over the fence at the last moment, same weekend another idiot knocked down a hornet nest that had been there for years so he would have a souvenir (big one and very active)
    the nest now hangs in the museum, the idiot ended up in the hospital for several days. People just do not get it that these animals are WILD and not tame pets in a petting Zoo.

gladecreekwy and Rik Peery like this.
  15. p

p Active Member

Evolution.

neighbormike likes this.
  16. Grizzly_Wayne

Grizzly_Wayne Member

You win!! It's amazing you are still with us! :)

Rik Peery likes this.
  17. Minimalist

Minimalist Active Member

It is, isn't it? :D

18. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

People do things every day that end up in tragedy. Other people do those same things and nothing happens.

Yellowstone and other parks spent many years treating the wild animals like sideshows - setting up feeding stations, etc. Many people today have been regaled by stories of close encounters that went "to plan" by their older family members. Often, they go to these parks to try to recapture the romance and awe of those stories. There is not enough education out there to keep man and animals safe.

When I started taking my niece on photo outings, our favorite ops were those of animals. Instinctively, your first reaction is to get in as close as you can before trying to take a photo. This always results in the animal getting spooked and taking off - and no photo. I taught my niece to do what I call the three step manuever. See an animal, take a photo, take three steps closer while talking softly to the animal, stop and take a photo and wait a couple moments, take another three steps softly talking, stop and take a photo. This allows us to interpret the animal's behavior before reaching a "point of no return" with it. It also means we always get the best possible photo of the animal. I try to share this technique with others who want to engage in wildlife as it protects the animal from us. The animal has time to back away, leave, or stay at each step, rather than feeling cornered and blocked in.

I got an "inside" tour of Bergeron's Exotic Animal Santuary by the owner Joe. I was happily taking photos of the animals (mostly big cats) while Joe talked to the other visitors who were behind the main tour gate. At one point, I was kneeling on the ground taking photos of the male African lion sunning himself on a platform in his enclosure. Joe broke into his spiel to say, "I suggest you get up and back away from the fence by about 2 feet". I looked over and a female lion was stalking me along the fence line. Her reach was long enough that she could have easily grabbed and dragged me to the fence. My crouching made me perfect prey even for a well fed lioness. He also let me pet a young female cougar and go in an enclosure with two 6 month old wolf cubs. These experiences are some of the most amazing things in my life and I know just how much the opportunity to have them creates that willingness to take a chance. At the same time, they made me realize just how quickly things can change. Simply dropping my body into a kneel turned me into prey. With the wolf cubs, they were about 1000 times as energetic as the most nippy and playful puppy I've ever met. But they reacted to my stance also - I stayed standing and after a few minutes, they started to drop their gazes and calm down towards me. Joe, in contrast got down on their level and they were all over him.

In most natural settings, we don't have the time or experience to learn how such simple things affect us. We hear and see stories of people owning exotic pets and only see flashes of the relationships.

PBS has a show "My Wild Affair" that detailed a relationship between a particular human and wild animal. The one that really caught my attention was the story of the baby rhino. His mother was accidentally killed during a relocation and the vet in charge brought the baby home to try to save. Within just a couple months, he realized the rhino was just too big to bw safe with the family - even though he had been a part of the family in every way. One of the sons came back to Africa as a 50+ year old man to try to experience that connection again. Over the 40+ years since his first experience knowledge of rhinos has greatly increased. And the realization that a rhino must maintain it's childhood relationships for more than 3 years or it will die from heartbreak if separated earlier. The man visited a sanctuary and they took him out into the bush to see a rhino that had been released 2 years before from the rehabilitation center after 3-4 years there. Rhinos have a big reputation for charging first and thinking later. The man and this rhino's childhood handler went out to where he was living. They stopped and the rhino looked ready to charge. But the handler just quietly talked to him - long enough for the rhino to recognize him as his childhood friend. The charge stance changed and they made their reunion. The handler pointed out that rhinos are very near-sighted. They see something big come into view and they assume it is a threat and charge because they can't see what it is at a distance and charging is more successful than waiting.

Sharing information like this is the best way to teach people. Belittling them, yelling at them, etc., never helps.

The wolf attack happened for a reason. It wasn't the people's fault, it wasn't the park's fault. It was simply a perfect storm of circumstances.

The bison attacks are the cause of lack of knowledge. Understanding how a bison sees, how it responds to a perceived threat, and what a perceived threat looks like to it, can help people make better choices. There is always the one person who will ignore that knowledge, but providing the education to the others who viewed the interaction will make an impression that will get shared.

Rather than just condemning the people in these stories, why not share the knowledge. Let's talk about how that wolf attack might have been handled. What did the man do right? What else might they have done? Keep the movie action scenes out of the discussion - seriously, one person cannot single handedly beat down 12 trained assassins - so keep the conversation real.

19. Kampus

Kampus Active Member

New Jersey cop...camping out of country....not sure Canada is so friendly when it comes to this.

20. Kampus

Kampus Active Member

Maybe not......but maybe his wife could have. My girl knows the drill. Get to the piece, defend yourself, family, others if I cant...ie fisting a wolf. (she is licensed and trained, trust her with my life and you should too)