Women-Owned Popups!

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by spearmint, Aug 9, 2007.

1. mncricket

mncricket New Member

Our PUP is in my name. I do all the maintenence I know how to do and schedule what I don't. I am married and have 2 kids, but DH is mechanically challenged so I leave him in the house to cook and clean and I get to be outside playing with all my toys (also all in my name)! I haven't backed it into a spot yet, but don't anticipte any real trouble. I can back other trailers just fine. I set it up and take it down all by my lonesome....

I would go to a rally for women!

2. Ace878

Ace878 Modified-1982 Coleman Redwood

If there is interest in a women's rally being organized. I would like to suggest the Ozarks in southern Missouri. It is gorgeous down there and tons of different lake areas to camp around. I keep seeing advertisements for Table Rock Lake on tv. I've never camped there but know it is historically well known for camping & other outdoor recreation. I am suggesting it because it is pretty central to the U.S. many of the people who have commented on this thread of posts seem to be with in a half days drive or less. Unfortunately, not everyone is so close. Maybe, this post can get the ball rolling on the initial discussion of planning something fora women's rally!

3. jim123

jim123 New Member

hay what happened to the singles rally .. lol [:D]

4. Ace878

Ace878 Modified-1982 Coleman Redwood

I am all for the single rally too!

5. mr pep

mr pep Member

I bought mine last month from a woman. She was in her early 50s - late 40 s and she knew the ins and out. She even broke it down in front of me with ease. You should be ok.

6. Samanthaj79

Samanthaj79 New Member

I have to say I really have felt like I was the only crazy single mom out there taking on the big adventure of camping with my 2 DD's. We bought our (myself and DD's) ntu popup about 2 months ago. We love camping and not having a man around was not going to stop me from giving my children the camping experience. I am one of those women who will die trying to do it myself lol. Most of the time the DD's help, they are 6 and 8 so it just depends on the day if mom gets any help, but it is all so worth it. The way I look at it, I will camp until they tell me they are tired of it, which I dont see happening. I have to admit, camping is not the venue to meet other singles, most are camping families, but honestly its not why I camp. So to any women debating on the experience, I say go for it!

7. clairyrindfleisch

clairyrindfleisch New Member

I will be the only operator, mechanic, and repair person for our popup. I was taught by my dad when we were growing up how to operate their old one...and now my husband leaves it to m. It is mine mine mine. You will do completely find. At age 17 I was camping with my girlfriends alone...just us young girls...and had no issues using one myself. The backing in was the hardest for me at that age...but now it's no issue. I even replaced wiring, lights, tires, and one piece of rotten wood. I also patched 2 holes...so you'll do great!

8. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

Most problems would be size and can your car pull it you can check out at a RV dealer what they recommend that you can pull without having any trouble. We have a 8' box no water inside and all you have to do is open it up before you start camping to check for little house guests and make sure the all the tires have the right amount of air in them. PUP are one of the easiest ways to go and hope you have fun camping.

9. Selffamily

Selffamily New Member

I love it! My husband no longer enjoys camping and our 2 oldest DS's are grown and no longer go on many trips with us. I, however still enjoy it and want to give my 2 youngest -10 year twins- the experiences of camping. We purchsed a ntu pup in March and put it in MY name. My DH has made sure it is in working condition and went on a practive weekend trip with us. In July me and the twins are starting a trip cross county (NC to OR) with a girlfriend, her two kids (she also has a pup) and her sister and her two kids. A true womens adventure and we are not worried at all, we might have some situations, but will overcome and have good laughs. We just happen to be spending 1 night in the Ozarks MO- will let you know how it is.

10. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

A woman who owns a popup is sexy in my book! [8D]

11. Andromedarl

Andromedarl New Member

I love this thread. I've been camping my kids alone..always. I've sometimes had friends come etc, but if they bail, I go anyway. At this stage of the game I don't even really ask anymore, I just go anyway! I have had a lot of people question me about it though, and most people think its awesome I take them out, but some think I'm crazy(and sometimes I feel like I'm crazy haha)

Yay for girl power and yay for popup portal. I'm going to need you when I have to start doing maintenance ;) [MOD]

12. Neecie

Neecie New Member

I made a promise to my kids after I divorced that someday we would have a camper again. Well that time has come and I'm now a proud single pup owner. I'm not the most confident yet but am hoping that if someone sees me struggling they will come to offer help or I will just seek help from other pup owners. But to be honest, I do wish I had another adult to go with us. Dear boyfriend is stationed 10+ hours away so for now Ive got to do it on my own.

13. backwoodsmama

backwoodsmama New Member

Im married and DH and DS go on trips with me, but it's always good to know how to do things and takes care of stuff like this by yourself. I odn't think that you will have any problem whatsoever. I tent camped by myself for years! (18th century French and Indian War reenactments), and that's actually how I met my husband. I was camping by myself at an event. Now, we do the reenactments as a family.

As far as PUP goes, I haven't been by myself yet, but that's coming up in August. I will be at our site for the nite by myself. (No DH OR DS!!!!) Can you say RELAX?! Lol! He has to work Friday, so it will be later that he gets there. I'm looking forward to it!