Women popping up solo

JunieB

May 8, 2018
Central Florida
I enjoy solo camping. I can set up everything in and on the PUP myself, and I am short. Bought my first PUP after divorce, and after my Mom passed a few years later. The hardest part is the cranking up, then everything else is gravy. I take my time. Have a good back which helps. Nobody criticizes how I do it, or cares if the camper has gotten a bit "messy."
I did notice that after I took AC off the roof of my Taos, it got a LOT easier to crank up and down. That 100 or so lbs. of AC equipment counts for something! I took it off because the roof was starting to leak around the AC, maybe just the gasket, but I had to do repairs inside.
Now I consider, maybe not reinstalling the AC at all and to sell that unit, which worked. I already put in my own Fantastic Fan, instead. The AC is a great luxury and extends our FL camping but maybe not always worth it.
I love being able to build my own campfire WHEN and HOW I want to, and to cook and grill outside. Not allowed to grill at my condo, technically. Also camping is a way to get away from my work and endless computer screens that go along with that.
I will see you at the FL rally, Lord willing, Orchid.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I did notice that after I took AC off the roof of my Taos, it got a LOT easier to crank up and down. That 100 or so lbs. of AC equipment counts for something! o
. My old Jayco had no AC that roof was so much easier to raise but fans did no good cooling the camper down when it was hot.
On my new to me popup I have the AC and there is no way I'm getting rid of it. That AC has extended my camping not to mention cools my overheated dog. However it's mainly for my mom who has a serious problem in the heat. (Heat stroke is a real problem for her). Fans just seemed to blow hot air around and sure wasn't doing any good cooling anyone down. Now after a day in the sun we are able to go in and cool down. Then again we are not used to seeing the heat you all are known for although we do get the humidity.

JunieB

May 8, 2018
Central Florida
Other options exist for AC, going not on the roof. I've seen folks cut a hole in side of the camper and put a little Window AC in there. Scares the heck out of me to cut a new hole into a PUP though, since I don't know what is structurally supporting what. Also there's a Rube Goldberg kind of thing where you put ice and a fan into a Cooler and have a tube coming out of the top. Relies on replacing ice often, though. See youtube for further info!

Halford

Super Active Member
Sep 28, 2011
Santa Clarita, California
You could always buy a small portable A/C rather than putting A/c back on roof or use window A/C. You could unzip one of corner and run an exhaust pipe out. Be sure to cover the end of exhaust pipe with something similar to screen door. If I ever move back to east, I will do this.

Orchid

Sharp Shootin' Grandma
May 8, 2011
Florida by way of WV and MD
Now I consider, maybe not reinstalling the AC at all and to sell that unit, which worked. I already put in my own Fantastic Fan, instead. The AC is a great luxury and extends our FL camping but maybe not always worth it.

I will see you at the FL rally, Lord willing, Orchid.

Oh my, you're brave! I wouldn't go out camping often, here in Florida, without our rooftop a/c. I agree it adds substantial weight. We bought a socket genie and drill to raise our roof. It worked great until DH stripped it out. He's going to grind some flat sides on it, maybe this weekend, as he has been hand cranking the last couple of trips.

Since I originally started this thread, I've learned I CAN do all the set up and break down alone. I can even back up the camper now. I rearranged the storage cabinets to make the galley lighter to move up and down, also. Now I don't need anyone, but DH is still around. We just took a short vacation from each other.

Looking forward to meeting you at the rally!!

Katskamper

Super Active Member
Nov 21, 2015
Fort Worth, TX
Orchid, to answer your first question
yes I camp alone (without humans) but always take the dogs!
STILL SINGLE @ 62. officially an old maid!

I am not afraid of being alone !
( I find it rather distressing that so many people in this country live fear-based lives. the “if you do that, something bad could happen” folks.)
fearful to terrified to be out in nature, alone. i laugh at them.

I was a Girl Scout, so I know basic first aid, all the fire safety tricks and what to do in an emergency. I also keep a basic tool kit in the camper from the mechanical type issues and a AAA+RV GOLD CARD.

I always email a copy of my camp confirmation to at least three friends so they know where the hell i am. most trips cel service is not available at campsite ( low areas close to lake)

i will install the “Eye On” app tomorrow, for added safety while out.

as for your DH, go without him!
i’m sure there is another single-ish woman in Florida close to you, who would be thrilled to have a camp companion ! even if you book indiv sites next to each other.

and DH can only miss you if you are gone for awhile.
A few days apart would probably do you both some good, but that’s my single girl marital advice .

❤️

you have to make yourself happy before you can spread it around. cant pour from an empty jug.

k

Last edited:

JunieB

May 8, 2018
Central Florida
Camping Dec-April is just fine with no AC in Florida. Same goes for hiking. I tent camped last year in JULY in the Keys, probably last time I'll do that. It was pre-Irma. Weather reports lied; it was 90 in the keys, not mid-80s like the forecast said. LOW that night was like 81. I took along a kiddie pool, filled it 1/2 up at the campsite, me and fuzzy pup spent the evening in it sipping Pina Coladas (Ok, it was actually wine mixed with fizzy water but Pina Colada sounds better.) But it sure was pretty first thing in the morning near the beach.
Oh, and the dog wasn't drinking.

Orchid

Sharp Shootin' Grandma
May 8, 2011
Florida by way of WV and MD
I am not afraid of being alone !
( I find it rather distressing that so many people in this country live fear-based lives. the “if you do that, something bad could happen” folks.)
fearful to terrified to be out in nature, alone. i laugh at them.

Oh, I'm totally not afraid of being alone. :smiley: I'm not one to live in fear, ever. My biggest concern was the physical labor, but I do have that all under control now.

I was only looking into going with a group of people so I had some people to hang out with and talk to. There is not much I'm afraid of in this life, and none of them are camping related.

Katskamper

Super Active Member
Nov 21, 2015
Fort Worth, TX
Oh, I'm totally not afraid of being alone. :smiley: I'm not one to live in fear, ever. My biggest concern was the physical labor, but I do have that all under control now.

I was only looking into going with a group of people so I had some people to hang out with and talk to. There is not much I'm afraid of in this life, and none of them are camping related.
so start a girls mini rally near you.

equest

Dec 22, 2016
Tampa FL
The only time I have camped solo I felt fine, and secure. It was at Sebastian Inlet SP here in Florida, and if anyone is familiar, all the sites are close to one another. Your neighbors can hear your clear your throat, so I am sure if I had a problem I would have been able to get help right away. The physical labor part is not a problem, I view cranking as a good upper body work out.

JunieB

May 8, 2018
Central Florida
Florida state parks are nice for camping alone because all the ones I have visited, have front gate/secure gate that closes after the ranger staffing at entryway stops. Only campers receive the access code, so campers can still drive in and out after the ranger is off-duty.

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
I've never felt safer because there was a gate that got closed at night. And as those campgrounds with gates tend to be big campgrounds (100+ sites), I actually find they are more likely to "harbor" problem people than the small 10-50 sites campgrounds.

Like Kats, I have been solo for a long time. I just don't have the energy to be afraid of people and things. That's not to say I'm not cautious or attuned to a situation, but I won't deny myself an opportunity or experience due to fear of an unknown entity. Let me out and enjoy. If something comes up, i'll handle it. Otherwise i'm not sitting around afraid of "what if".

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
Back to the OP's concern about the physical issues, I think women are a lot more capable than they often allow themselves to be.

My Mom always told us girls to be self sufficient because you never know what might happen. She may not have known the difference between a hammer and a mallet, but she could do almost anything with a butter knife, fingernail file and a hard heeled shoe.

Katskamper

Super Active Member
Nov 21, 2015
Fort Worth, TX
having dogs improves safety. even in the big parks, packed like sardines, the “farthest from the shower house/no elec” sites are usually very quiet. thats where i like camping!

PaThacker

Super Active Member
Feb 11, 2010
Poconos
I had an ac with pup and non ac pup. The ac pup would over work in pup, freeze, and condensate rain onto the interior of camper. Next up hybrid with ac still sucked until I got popup gizmos. Now with non ac model. I have fantastic fan, bunk fans and gizmos x3. No issue whatsoever in direct sun or super humid.

PaThacker

Super Active Member
Feb 11, 2010
Poconos
The only time I have camped solo I felt fine, and secure. It was at Sebastian Inlet SP here in Florida, and if anyone is familiar, all the sites are close to one another. Your neighbors can hear your clear your throat, so I am sure if I had a problem I would have been able to get help right away. The physical labor part is not a problem, I view cranking as a good upper body work out.
Haha that’s why we boondock.

algonquingirl

Sep 15, 2018
Hamilton, ON
How many ladies out there go it alone, with a pop up?
I always camp solo. This will be my first season with a pup. I'm excited to get up off the ground and have a little bit of comfort. Although I can make any tent comfortable. My friends are suddenly becoming "campers" now that I have a trailer so I won't be solo too much this year, unless I hide my schedule LOL

Arlyn Aronson

Super Active Member
Jun 11, 2014
Houghton, MI
Glad to see Orchid is planning a trip. If you don't plan something fun, then fun is less likely to happen. For setting up our little 6.0 camper, I've set it up by myself before but sure do like having my dearest, or someone there to help! (it doen't crank up) Of course, 70% of our camping is boon-docking.

penny

Super Active Member
Nov 9, 2017
I've gone solo a lot. Most of the time traveling in our Rialta (class B). this to me, was ideal because everything I would need was in the vehicle and it was easy to maneuver and park. before that I went solo a lot in our VW westfalia, which was also easy. When the Rialta got around 170,000 miles, I felt less like traveling long distances alone in it. We have since bought and sold a pop up, an A-liner and a small TT. I took all three alone, none were as easy as the Rialta, but I could do it.

I think the secret to solo camping is to become very comfortable with the set up procedures before you venture out alone. Maybe even make a list to remember steps for set up. When I've taken the time to do this and learn how to avoid mistakes parking or setting up, I feel much more confident. Once I'm comfortable setting up, taking down, backing up, hitching and unhitching alone in the drive way, I feel a lot less anxiety about doing it alone. I also feel looking at maps of routes and camp grounds, and planning ahead where I'll be and how to get there is a good thing. I'f I'm going to a campground, I try to reserve a site that is pull through or easy to back into.

our newest camper is a bigger tt and I haven't taken it out alone yet, but I will. I don't feel I can yet back up out of an awkward spot, or turn it around if I get on the wrong road. But experience helps one learn, and plan for staying out of places that you can't handle. So far, all of our trips in it we have both gone, and both learned something new. I still plan to hitch up and go to an empty parking lot where I can practice maneuvering, swinging out, backing up, and learning turning radius expectations. Learning that stuff in actual situations is no fun!

There are places I'd go alone with no problem, and places I wouldn't get myself into.

Like you, I really don't often feel afraid. I do feel common sense is the best defense, but I carry a small "get off me" pistol and can hit a can from a good distance. Would I try to use it? probably not. Mostly I take it because my husband feels better when I do. sometimes my little yappy dog comes along, but only for company. When my big teddy bear rottie was alive, he was the best of company and also of security.

Muller 5

Jan 6, 2019
STL
I wont, technically, be alone, but it will be me and my 3 sons (12,8,3) on my big trip to Oregon. I plan on wearing the toddler for set and take down and have the big boys help with cranking and tucking, etc. So in addition to all the physical labor of setting up the pop-up, I'll have a 30 lb weight on my back. o_O . Oh well, better that then a lost 3 year old.