Women's Comfort bike

Discussion in 'Biking' started by crewdog506, Jun 1, 2014.

1. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

OMG!!! That is too cute!! Especially the pup wanting his ride!! LOL

They built some bike "lanes" here and there in Roanoke, but we've had deaths from it. Mostly now, they have this mentality that YOU have to get out of their way, and if they run in front of you they think it will be your fault. It's a real shame they were given road space and now they abuse it so badly innocent people get in trouble. They've also taken over the new walking trails, ran over a little boy walking beside his dad and KEPT GOING. They wrote to the city asking that strollers be banned from the asphalt trails AND that walkers should walk on the weeds and stay off "their" trail. I can't believe the GALL of these folks.

I'd rather dodge kids in the campground. LOL

I should try one of those recumbent bikes. Looks a lot easier on the back. I'm just not sure I could get OFF of it because it sits so low. LOL

[emoji1]

Sent from my Droid Maxx while NOT driving!

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I just gave away my Trek Step-through bike. I had done well on it, much better than the previous one, but had not been on it in a couple of years. The last time I rode it (on Open Space trails), I fell and ended up with my hand in a cactus. I have a bunch of different issues and could just not get comfortable on that one, so gave it to a friend who is loving it. Win-win it is out of our garage, so is not blocking any of DH's (3) bikes and the friend is getting use out of it.
    I have looked at a couple of the townies that are even lower-slung than the one I had, but don't know if they will work, I haven't had time to try them out. The only recumbent bikes I've used have been the ones at PT and the gym, and they actually make my lower back hurt more. I like the idea of a trike, for better balance, but don't know if I'll find one that will work, and that we can transport. I would mostly like to use it in campgrounds and on the back roads in some of the places we go.
    BTW, don't get DH started on the bike versus pedestrians versus car debate. He is one of the bicyclists who follows the rules and regs. He refuses to ride on many of the multi-use asphalt trails, too many issues with other users. And, as he learned the heard way, when the biker obeys the rules and a car driver doesn't, the biker pays the physical price. [ABQ gives lots of lip service to being bicycle-friendly, but their definition of friendly isn't exactly our definition.]

3. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

The problem is a long lived one, and as to do with the infrastructure built to support transportation for the individual Mindset. Been to Europe a few times and bikes are almost easier to use in some areas. I was in the. Venice area and you would do well not to have a car.

To simply add laws that allow bikers on the roads does not solve the problems, when they replace or repair any road they need to budget in bike and even walking paths. This of course would require paying taxes which everyone's afraid of for some reason[emoji53]

4. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Member

I don't speak for anyone but myself, but I'll be happy to pay more in taxes when they begin using the taxes that I do pay responsibly. Maybe even give me something in return, like a Bike lane.

To take my pup out of my development, I have to go 5 miles per hour as the roads are horrible, I pay more than I ever have in my life and receive less in return. Yet the city is asking the residents for another school loan and to pay for another stupid roundabout when my road is garbage.

Back to bikes:
    I was riding my bike on the rails to trails, which are allocated Horse, walk and bike. This lady yelled at me for riding my bike on the trail that signs everywhere say bike horse, and walk, I figured she wasn't worth my time, but my point is, everyone thinks they are entitled to everything for themselves and that they are MORE special than everyone else.

I would love to have a bike lane, and would be willing to pay for it, but most cities are strapped for cash, the residents are struggling to stay employed and with 97 million out of 300 million not working in this country, I'd say it's a bit of a stretch to ask for more right now.

5. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Member

Correction 92,009,000 Americans not working out of 318,184,230
    The problem is the debt clock is moving much much faster than the birth clock.

6. crewdog506

crewdog506 New Member

Well, not to get back to bikes...this thread took a nice turn!!! No big deal, I like hearing the opinions...

I went ahead and ordered a bike from BikesDirect...figured I could get something decent at a decent price and if she really likes riding it, she can wear this one out and I'll drop some money on something better.

I got the Dawes Eclipse 2.0. I put it together in about 30 minutes and took it for a stroll around the block (wife isn't home from work yet). Seems pretty decent for being made in China. The real test will be her riding it. I think it will be good for her and the health issues.

Thanks for the information...as always, lots of input here.

7. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

How many of those 92 million are not of age or too old to work.

If I remember correct the unemployment rate, those that are employable, is right around a nation wide 6.5% of the workforce. It kinda skews the data if you include members of the country not included in the workforce for whatever reason.

And because our taxes are actually lower I think we can afford to build some bike lanes.. We are going to need them regardless when gas prices hit 8 bucks a gallon

8. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

Tucson is very bike friendly, and we have a terrific network of multi-use paths. For the most part, people here are pretty good at sharing them. Usually, the biggest problem I have on the paths are pedestrians with earbuds in, who cannot hear when I announce, "Passing on your left!" Tucson's "Loop" is rapidly approaching being a complete circle of paths around the city.

http://webcms.pima.gov/government/the_loop/

9. Loraura

Loraura New Member

1) bike lanes don't cause deaths. Stupid/careless/uneducated people (both drivers and cyclists) cause bike/auto collisions.

2) how did you know what size bike to order? I didn't see that your wife ever made it to a bike shop to test ride, which is very important. I think Bikes Direct is a mistake. No shop support, bike not assembled and tuned by a mechanic, no proper fitting to your wife. Hopefully she likes it well enough for you to Craigslist it and get her a quality bike, properly fitted, professionally tuned, that she will want to ride longer and farther for years to come.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Member

I didn't argue that we didn't need bike lanes, I want a bike lane, but our taxes are being flushed down the sewer instead of providing actual benefits for the average citizen. I was commenting on your statement that people don't want to pay more in taxes. Take the politics, emotion, rhetoric and the bias out of it and the facts are clear.

I see no place where the taxes are lower in most states. They have increased the Gas tax, sales tax, property tax, payroll tax, top marginal rate increase, decreased personal exemptions, capitol gains increased, everything has increased AND the cost of food has risen. Where is it good? I'd love to move anyway. Throw in the mandate and the higher cost of insurance, lower home values, higher electricity rates, higher sewer fee's, cable fees... well, then if you really added it all up, you aren't left with very much.

Check the UE6 number for the actual unemployment rate. We need at least 336,000 new jobs each month to keep us moving back to pre 2007 levels. June 6th was 217,000. Check the participation rate. The unemployment rate UE3 (6.3%) presented by the labor department is skewed. After the initial 99 weeks of unemployment they drop off into oblivion, right off of that number, which is why it looks so good. Look around you, everyone is working with less people, less hours, and less money. I guess if you are located in the big 3 cities (which are the most bankrupt) then jobs are a plenty.. but it only appears that way.

Here is a NYTimes economic graphic to make it clear:

[​IMG]

A smaller 15 year sample:

[​IMG]

Check the disability rate.. Pretty much a coincidence that it increased with the decrease in UE3.. But hey, numbers don't lie.

The data comes from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and is comprised of American civilians 16 or older who do not have a job and are actively seeking one (participation rate). You could look it up yourself. Do you want a link to the BLS?

Here you go. Check the actual data and not just the headlines.
    http://www.bls.gov/

The numbers don't lie, we are in a HUGE hole, and anyone in with basic business knowledge can see what is going on.....yet there are some who believe that everyone is doing just fine without actually knowing the real data.

So when you say, "hey, tax us some more" or "Some people just don't want to pay more taxes" then I feel it's my duty to respond.

11. crewdog506

crewdog506 New Member

Not to get back to topic here...but this was about a women's comfort bike. If you would like to start a thread on unemployment rates and bike paths...then go ahead, but I'd like to get back on topic here. Sorry if you are offended by this statement...

12. crewdog506

crewdog506 New Member

I understand where you are coming from, but due to time restraints and such...this is the option I chose. I had gone to a local sports store that sells bike and got a good idea on size for her. As far as bike support and not being assembled by a mechanic, that's totally your opinion, and since no shop was available for me to go to without taking a day off work for one of us, that was off the option chart. For the record, and I realize bikes aren't F-16s, but I was a mechanic in the Air Force and worked on F-16s for a few years. Bikes aren't that complicated and with some reading and such, anyone can tune a bike. Can they do it as well or as fast as a bike shop, maybe not, but I can do it probably pretty well and for the right price. As far as fitting it, that's called trial and error and with a few tools, trial and error is taken care of. As far as Craigslisting it...totally your opinion.

Again, I asked for opinions and thanks for your input...no need to put down someone's choice on what to do. As I said before, I wasn't sure if she would even be comfortable riding a bike, so I put some money into it, no where near what I bike shop would charge, and we are going to give it a shot. It is what it is...

13. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Member

Well, lets see.

You already bought a bike off Bikes Direct right? Ok.. You made the call and have your answer.

The way a conversation goes, is one person says something and another responds.

On topic was Bike path at the time. (BTW right after bike trailers, and puppies) Then it worked to bike paths, and the statement of people not wanting to pay taxes for them was made and the response was clearly defined for the person who didn't understand what what being presented as a response.

Hey, sorry if you already knew the sequence. I made my point, you enjoy that bike then, I do hope it works out.

14. crewdog506

crewdog506 New Member

Your comments are the first I have run across on this forum that were negative...

"No shop support, bike not assembled and tuned by a mechanic, no proper fitting to your wife. Hopefully she likes it well enough for you to Craigslist it and get her a quality bike, properly fitted, professionally tuned, that she will want to ride longer and farther for years to come. "

Sorry, but telling me that she likes it enough to get rid of it was not the type of input I was looking for.

"I made my point, you enjoy that bike then, I do hope it works out."

Total arrogance and sarcasm right there...I'll be sure to block further posts from you and you have no reason to reply in this thread if you have nothing POSITIVE to add.

15. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Member

Hey.. You obviously failed to read what I wrote and are attributing words from someone else. I actually tried to help you as I do believe your experience with Bikes Direct will leave you dissatisfied. You probably won't read any of this either, but I will take the time to correct you. Here is what I wrote:

Bike shops have more than just bikes. They offer personalized service and that comes at a price. In my view of the world, unless you know exactly what you are looking for, the on line route is usually disappointing.

I stand by that quote and it is from experience. Arrogance and sarcasm.. well, I'm sure offended because I did truly want it to work out for you.

Now if you are done being all upset, and you run into problems with your new on line bike, let me know because I would be happy to help, but please be sure to actually read who the originating posters are before jumping to any more conclusions.

Have a great day!

16. crewdog506

crewdog506 New Member

Just want to add some information to this thread for those who read it and were looking for information...

I've had the bike now for a few weeks and my wife has put quite a few miles on it. It took about 30 minutes to assemble, about 30 minutes to adjust stuff, and she road 5 miles the first night having it. 5 miles might not see like much, but she hasn't ridden a bike since she was about 12, she's 31 now. I would venture to say she's got at least 40 or 50 miles on it now with no issues. Lots of adjustments were available to get the fit good so she was comfortable. I would recommend www.bikesdirect.com to anyone that is looking for a bike and is willing to make some simple adjustments and such to fit the bike to the rider. As far as being qualified to wrench on a bike...if you have any mechanical ability, you can adjust a bike...

Thanks again for any information provided.

17. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Member

I'm glad it worked out for you and your wife.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk 4

18. Rodger D.

Rodger D. New Member

Hola Yo'll

Today is the first time that I have seen and read this posting. I too like most of it and
    want to say that here in Colo Spgs is a Therapeutic Cycling Program with The City of COS.
    They have "rides" each month and will have people that will ride with and assist the person
    as they go.

Because of the riders needs and abilities they supply/ use The "recumbent" Trike's.

The Presidential Sports Awards Program has categories for people that walk and hike after they
    have set up their Pop Up. The Trike Rider's have a class too ( it is the same as bicycling ).

http://macdillafb.bestofhealth.com/Main/Modules/Get_fit/awardcat.html

If you want more information --- please use my Email --- not the sites pm.