Wonderfully mice free!!

Dave2514g

Sep 2, 2019
Ontario, Canada
We will be picking ours up from storage this coming weekend... hoping to also have no signs of mice.

However, in five years of storing the trailer over winter we have yet to ever have mice.... now you've got me worried ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
I still believe the first defense is eliminating all passageways that mice can enter. Did you ever figure out how you had mice entering in previous years?

We've used a number of deterrents over the years but I consider them a second line of defense. Our current strategy is Fresh Cab, plus cotton balls soaked in peppermint essential oil. Here in Minnesota we put out campers away in October and usually can't open them until May... and the camper still smelled like a candy cane factory lol. Fortunately that's a pleasant smell, and opening some windows the first day we camp will take care of it.

After seeing some YouTube video tests, I don't believe dryer sheets (which we used to use) or Irish Spring do any good, at least compared to the peppermint and Fresh Cab which have been shown to help in controlled tests.

I'm not sure about the charcoal though... that eliminates smells, and I would think you would want the smell of the Fresh Cab (and peppermint in my case) to last as long as possible, not be absorbed by the charcoal.

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
We've been using Fresh Cab since we bought the Pup. I've never found so much as a dead bug and we store our TT in a barn next to a hayfield.

As far as I'm concerned, it's worth it's weight in gold. Well...maybe not gold but you get the idea. ;)

HoosierPop

Sep 20, 2016
I am SO excited!!!! We opened our PUP and NO ๐Ÿ mice!! OMG I cannot express how happy ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I am right now. We used Fresh Cab, Charcoal and Bounce dryer sheets. This is the first year we didnโ€™t have any mice ๐Ÿญ. This Fresh Cab works as a wonderful deterrent.
We have been using cut up chunks of Irish Spring bar soap, haven't had a mouse in 8 years. Surprising that an internet fix really worked! Also, they don't seem to lose any effectiveness from year to year. Strange, but wonderful!

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
We have been using cut up chunks of Irish Spring bar soap, haven't had a mouse in 8 years. Surprising that an internet fix really worked! Also, they don't seem to lose any effectiveness from year to year. Strange, but wonderful!
I think you're the first person to say Irish Spring works. Most people post photos of where the mice chewed on it. :D

Jul 20, 2014
We've never had mice, at least not yet! (Got the PUP in 1996!) The only time we used any kind of deterrent was the year we stored ours at the fairgrounds, and that time it was Bounce Sheets.

Dave Fro

Sep 21, 2020
I went under my popup when I first got it and found tons of large holes where wires and pipes go into the floor. Filled them all in with putty. Never had any mice and don't use any product. There are plenty of ways for mice to get it, these trailers are like swiss cheese, if you fill in all the holes I think that is 98% of the battle.

tfischer

Shawn Woods is a YouTuber who normally tests mousetraps but sometimes branches out into things like mouse deterrents.

He has tested several deterrents including Irish Spring and dryer sheets under controlled conditions and they had no effect.

He tested peppermint oil, and it did have an effect (not perfect, but better than nothing).

Yet a lot of people claim Irish Spring and dryer sheets work. My thought is that the strong fragrance of them isn't actually disliked by rodents, but it may cover up some mild food smells that will otherwise attract rodents in. Shawn put bait around the Irish Spring and it's possible that overpowered it and the mice just came and ate.

Fresh Cab and Peppermint, however, actually does repel them, to a certain degree.

Still... the best thing to do is block any entranceways and remove all traces of food. Yes a mouse could still chew their way in, but why would they if they had no scent luring them in?

For the same reason I would never put any type of bait station (like a glue trap) INSIDE the pup as that could actually lure in a mouse who would otherwise stay out.

ehoneybee

Jun 4, 2022
We live in MA so our camper is closed up between October and May and this year the mice chewed through every single curtain and peed, pooped, and chewed through 2 cushions ๐Ÿ˜ก. Thankully, I hadn't switched out the original dated curtains or the upholstered cushions so they kind of got my butt in gear to tackle those projects this year ๐Ÿ˜. We were thinking of bringing all the cushions and curtains inside for storage to avoid that problem again. Does anyone else do that?

tfischer

We live in MA so our camper is closed up between October and May and this year the mice chewed through every single curtain and peed, pooped, and chewed through 2 cushions ๐Ÿ˜ก. Thankully, I hadn't switched out the original dated curtains or the upholstered cushions so they kind of got my butt in gear to tackle those projects this year ๐Ÿ˜. We were thinking of bringing all the cushions and curtains inside for storage to avoid that problem again. Does anyone else do that?
Sorry to hear this. How did the mice get inside?

Tonya Harding

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2018
Virginia
Have used Fresh Cab, Grandpa Gus, peppermint oil w/ success, Bounce sheets have worked for stuffing in the riding mower etc, Fresh Cab seems the best. Plugging any possible entries w/ copper wool has proven to have 100% success rate; I do my own experiments, youtube in general is too time consuming for me...

ehoneybee

Jun 4, 2022
It's not hard to seal those holes up. Seems like it would be a whole lot easier than dragging everything inside every season.
True, but I thought they can get in regardless? It's definitely on our list for the end of the season, though. I will just be mad if I have to replace my pretty cushion covers!

Xjsport95

May 19, 2022
I went under my popup when I first got it and found tons of large holes where wires and pipes go into the floor. Filled them all in with putty. Never had any mice and don't use any product. There are plenty of ways for mice to get it, these trailers are like swiss cheese, if you fill in all the holes I think that is 98% of the battle.
What kind of putty?

Latest posts