Wondering about electric brakes -

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by mickaqua, Apr 14, 2014.

1. mickaqua

mickaqua Member

and have some questions,

1. Does the brake control unit adjust both voltage and current send to the brakes?

2. What is the average current used by the brakes? For example, a 12' pup about 2k pounds.

3. Has anybody ever popped a 20 or 30 amp breaker or fuse for brakes, and what happened? [:O]

Thanks for your insight. :)

2. BuxCamper

BuxCamper Member

If your vehicle is prepped for a brake controller it will either have a fuse or one will be recommended. My Silverado has a 40 amp fuse IIRC.

The controller adjusts voltage. Current will balance automatically due to Ohm's law V=IR. I have never attempted to measure the current though my Prodigy tells me the voltage it is feeding.

I have never heard of anyone popping a brake controller fuse.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

3. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

I just added electric brakes and a brake controller to my PUP and TV.
    it works as it should but they all here recommend you get the Tekonsha styled brake controller. seems to be easier to setup and adjust.
    you will notice once you hook the brakes and controller and they start talking to each other that the brake controllers read out in digital numbers varies from 0.0 to 8.0 or 9.0 depending how you have it set. The voltage goes up and down thru that number range...often seeing 1.4's, 2.3's, 7.7's etc....and so on.

I have yet to set it fully to my liking but it is working. I can feel the PUP actually braking and relieving the trucks break for having to work so hard.

it's well worth it.
    Now, word of caution: unless you have the TIME and have the TOOLS and have the PATIENCE I highly recommend it be done by either your mechanic you trust or an RV shop...yes, it will cost you but I read up and down on this forum and concluded that I neither have the time nor the required skills to do the job properly. Yes...i saw the mechanic do it. and as my friend always says......"it's easy ONCE you know how to do it"......so good luck.

Oh, by the way...once you get your controller and electric brakes you'll be hookin up your PUP and riding up and down the street braking like a little kid on Big Wheel during Christmas...

4. BuxCamper

BuxCamper Member

Rereading my previous post I should have said that if a fuse is not there in a brake controller prepped vehicle the manufacturer will recommend a value. Both my Silverado and Envoy use 30 fuses.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

5. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Mine popped a 20a auto breaker, but the rv dealer used the single 20a for the brakes and the battery charge line. We were leaving after camping and the battery was trying to recharge and while coming down the mountains the brake controller and dead and the brakes stopped working. After a few minutes the controller came back on.
    I disconnected the battery and it worked just fine coming home. I added a separate 30a breaker just for the controller, just like how the instructions say to do.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk