Wondering about my HP port on Coleman UTAH

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by myride, Dec 20, 2017.

1. rabird

rabird Howdy!

16 psi is unique to the HP exterior stoves on some coleman trailers (after they stopped using Coleman stoves???).
    Those unregulated stoves operated via 16 psi propane. A 15psi or 20 or 30 would work fine for almost any regulated appliance or an adjustable one.

FWIW, I got a baby Q to operate fine off my regulated low pressure outside port, another stamped metal little grill worked but turning it from low to med to high caused no change in the tiny flame. Both were with the grill's original regulated still attached. Tried a portable buddy heater with reg intact, fluttered and did not operate well.

2. myride

myride Well-Known Member

UPDATE.....thanks to all for your help.
    The "steaksaver" seems to have done the trick, I also added a valve in line so I can hook up line, turn on propane before setting up trailer. It runs a tad lower than I would have liked but feel safer than the way she was running previously.
    Again, thanks to all.

BelchFire likes this.
  3. ice_nyne

ice_nyne Member

Myride, glad you were able to fix your issue. I am battling something similar. Mind posting a pic of your solution?

4. myride

myride Well-Known Member

It will be a little while before I can post pics....still in storage but....HP port on trailer frame I attached a "steak saver" coupling, then to that a check valve and a quick connect....works fabulous. The reason for the check valve is once you screw the steak saver onto port it free flows until you connect the stove or quick connect....this way I just shut valve, connect....connect stove via quick connect and turn on valve.....voila.....

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Here's what you need,
    1- steak saver that goes into HP port on side of trailer, I then use the Camp Chef hose supplied with the stove but added a quick-connect with an on/off valve....reason being once you screw the steak saver into place it will spew propane unless you have a way to shut it off......I leave this whole assembly together preventing leaking propane while attaching. From there I added a 10 ft hose with the male quick connect on one end and the standard filling on the other for the stove......
    Won't let me upload image...file too large

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ok so the steak saver valve goes from the HP port to reguler bottle? For us idiots. If so i may have to get one.

7. myride

myride Well-Known Member

No...steak saver screws to trailer HP on frame of pup......this allows you to then use the regulator connector suplied with you stove.

All Coleman trailers had either the screw type HP or the quick connect LP.......this rig is to allow you to run your camp chef or other stoves from an HP connector on trailer frame

Make sense?

8. Sjm9911

Yes, got it. i need to find a conection for my blackstone. I bought a line but cant find it now, lol.( i blame amazon). Also was looking to split it for a propane fire pit, sacrilege i know. But last trip and the wet wood made for smoked marshmallows. So , we wernt happy campers.

9. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Complete set up
    2019-07-09_19.22.11.jpg

Steak saver on trailer w/ stove regulator attached 2019-07-09_19.24.16.jpg

Here's the important end....
    Make sure you have a valve on quick connect to prevent propane loss when hooking it all up

2019-07-09_19.23.20.jpg

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Don't know if they make a splitter or not you could use.....somebody must....lol

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. Sjm9911

Lol, thats an interesting set up. I allready put a shut off valve in line with the gas. I do know if that spring clip shut off in the original fails, its a mess. And its even harder to get a replacement as its a reverse thread. Ty for the pic.

12. rabird

rabird Howdy!

myride and Sjm9911 like this.
  13. Sjm9911

That should work. Ty.

14. myride

myride Well-Known Member

..so you carry a spair....lol

15. Sjm9911

I should have , it took me like 2 months to track one down. The first one wouldn't screw on. Then after looking at it ,i relized the old was reverse threaded. Then ,i went to all the welding guys, after the guys that arually make propane lines couldn't help , because its a welding thread. What a pita. I cut the brass line and re flared it , putting in a gas shut off. So if it brakes again, i dont have to replace it.

myride likes this.
  16. myride

myride Well-Known Member

....always a work-around! Problem solved...:)

Sjm9911 likes this.