Wondering about Sliders......

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by myride, Jul 27, 2016.

1. myride

myride Well-Known Member

I'm seriously looking at upgrading my current PUP to a model with a slider. I think the added floor space would go along way in comfort while in the pup.

I've looked at a Coleman, Rockwood and Jayco and noticed the Orion had stab jacks under it while the others didn't. Just wondering why all manufacturers wouldn't have them for stability and added strength while pulled out? Also, anyone have any insite into good ...bad regarding pups with a slider?

2. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

Most pups with slide outs are a good bit heavier than pups without. Depending on what you decide on, you may need a different tow vehicle that can safely tow the added weight. I had a slide out before and do miss the added floor space. Good luck with your search.

3. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have one on mine and love it. This is my first PUP and I am glad I went with this one vs. a non slide. I think Starcraft has stabs on their slides - I looked at an Orion that had them. However - not all slides are the same. As I was looking I noticed some slides came out really far, while others did not. I think models that had a slide that extended farther had the extra stabs on them. My Jayco does not have any, but I also do not think the dinette is quite as big as the Starcraft I looked at.

I have not noticed any stability issues with mine so far. It is really nice to have the larger seating area at the table, along with a nice wide aisle. We can leave a laundry hamper and shoe bin on the floor without having to step over them.

4. RDWRER

RDWRER Active Member

I have a 2014 Jayco sport 12 BS with a slide. It has 2 stabilizers in the rear/none in the front. We use stack jacks for extra support from rocking/bouncing but it doesn't affect the slide out at all. We LOVE the slide out and the extra room it gives. We also have a bathroom on board and only weigh in at 2200 dry and 2650 loaded.

5. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

We have a slide out on our flagstaff and I must say the interior space is amazing. However, being a high wall with a slide out we weight in at over 3700 pounds. I do have to say this, unless you get some stabilizer jacks for the slide out, I don't care how awesome your stabs are, or if you use a BAL leveler, you will never get that thing to stop rocking. Just extra slung weight off the side seems to make things a little unsteady.

6. gruss

gruss Active Member

Ours has the scissor stabs on all 4 corners, it's nice. Downside to slides, no room to pack in the camper since the slide takes all the floor space and it's heavier. Plus is the amount of room you gain set up. Love being able to sit in the dinette and see 180 degrees outside on a rainy day or 2 people can actually walk past each other in the middle of the camper.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Miss the slideout on the TT.. the dinette slide on the pup added so much extra space when set up.. As mentioned, the slides add a fair amount of weight so a TV upgrade may be needed...

Are talking about stabs on the slideouts or stabs on the trailers themselves ?

8. upstate family

upstate family Member

Love that our dining table is on a slide out. Makes my pup feel so much roomier. My husband is a big guy and he doesn't feel squished in our NTU pup.

9. cdn_tbird

cdn_tbird Member

Not necessarily true. Our Flagstaff 823d has the slide out and can accommodate over 600lbs in cargo according to the manufacturer. I can access all the storage compartments from inside so I pack it in stages as I close it up. Even with the slide out fully packed it slide out very easily.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

10. sespe

sespe Member

Our Niagara with slide is very stable, no jacks on the slide-out. The slide itself "settles" slightly when extended, making it feel off level. According to my bubble level it is fine, but it just "feels" that way. And there is still room inside to store stuff. Our only problem is you have to be a contortionist to wriggle inside and reach the refrigerator to turn it on when not set up. I wish we had the exterior fridge controls...

11. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your feedback. The 3 I've looked at are all well within my towing capacity fortunately...
    .Camino in at the 2500 lb dry weight is 1/2 my capacity.

Snow......I was wondering about stabs on the slide out itself...just seems like something that "should" be incorporated for stability sake.

12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

DO NOT use the phony dry weight for the trailer weight.. Very few people ever go camping with a dry trailer.. Dry trailer = No propane tank, No battery, No optional equipment (like a/c, fridge, furnace or water heater to name a few). Use the trailers GVWR, this is the heaviest the trailer should weigh when fully loaded, if your TV can pull and stop the GVWR of the trailer then your good to go...

Never had an issue with stability with our pup.. Now I did use a couple blocks of wood and a spare truck jack under our slide out, not for stability but due to us being a rather "fluffy" family ..

13. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm... something to consider Snow...seeing as I too am on the "fluffier" side.... [;)]

14. IdahoPopUp

IdahoPopUp Member

We just got a NTU Rockwood Freedom 232XR. Love the space the slide out dinette provides. Have only had it set up in the driveway to transfer stuff into from the old trailer. But the adults could slide by each other. Looking forward to enjoying in the woods

IPU

15. davido

davido Active Member

I have a slide-out on my Rockwood Premier 2516G.

It increases floor space by about 18 sq/ft (the slide-out is approximately 4.5x6 but there's about a 18" overlap into the main cabin when it's fully extended, so that's how I arrive at 18 sq/ft.
    It increases tow weight by a few hundred pounds, but the weight is almost directly over the trailer's axle. It reduces interior storage space, though the slide-out has its own under-seat storage, plus whatever can fit under the collapsed table. To offset the reduced storage space, I do have a forward storage compartment on my PUP, as well as a small platform on the rear bumper that I can use to carry light-weight stuff.

Overall, I think it's a win.

16. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I have a slide out on my Fleetwood Utah and love it. Gross weight on my unit is 3600 pounds. Although I don't tow with water so I'm a few pounds under that. My unit also does not have separate stabilizing jacks under the slide and I have no problems. The slide does add some extra steps to setup and the extra canvas can catch if you are not careful. When you get a unit with a slideout: Remember First in last out with the exception to the canvas that stays out until last. Nearly added that oops to my list of mistakes the first day I bought this thing. The slide out opens the floor so much when fully open and no tripping over everyone or bumped shins if everything is down in bed mode. When closed, I don't have extra room to throw chairs or dog crate etc. I am unable to access my fridge when closed and the slide out only gives a few inches when pushed in to use when in travel mode. I am also finding a lot of my favorite camping sites are now too small for this unit. Other than that I love it.

17. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

My current and previous campers both have a slide out. When shopping for the current camper, a slide was a must. Room created by the slide is so much nicer then without, and my wife prefers booth seating anyway.

18. ZPARTY

ZPARTY New Member

My old pup had a slide out dinette, and I loved the extra space it created. Im surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but my pup owners manual clearly stated DO NOT use stabilizers, or any other kind of jack under the slide. I have also read in other forums not to do this as they are afraid of the jack bending the frame/supports for the slide and/or the trailer

19. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Didn't raise it all the way to touching.. left it with about 1/2 - 1 inch short of touching... Yes if you cranked it all the way till it touched then yes you could damage the frame..

20. MrsGregg

MrsGregg New Member

I do love the slide out dinette in my Starcraft. It comes with factory stabs on the slide (the pull out and swing down type-whatever the "real" name for those are :) ) I do agree, at least with ours, the downside of not being able to pack much in the camper due to the space disappearing when the slide is in. But I guess that mainly depends on the size of the slide.