Woo Hoo!

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Hilldweller, Jun 3, 2021.

1. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Would like a picture of your AC control panel. Ours had four buttons, Set, Reset ,^, and down. Actual temperature sensor was not in the cabin, but in the return air duct.

2. bronsta

bronsta Member

This thread was an eye-opener -- for sure.
    Just sold my pop-up and was actually looking hard at the Aliner's. Now... based on shoddy workmanship and shoddier backing after-the-sale, there's no way I'd buy an Aliner! Starting my search for a new camper all over but seems most campers today have very similar stories to thus one. Poor (very poor) quality in today's campers.

Hilldweller likes this.
  3. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ

The family that bought my 2014 Classic said they were happy to drive 5,000 miles for it. They didn’t want today’s quality built Aliner units. I’m starting to see why???

So far, I’ve been lucky with KODI. Nothing major so far as a 2nd owner of a 2020 unit. But who knows what the original owner encountered before.

The same could be said of my 2013 Classic. Again, we were the 2nd owner for the Classic. I would recommend a slightly used unit since the build quality has changed significantly. I follow a YouTube family with a brand new 2021 Lance. Lance TT’s are supposed to be high quality. And they are also facing lots of build issues. I don’t think brand name matters anymore.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

Pedro Galvan and Rik Peery like this.
  4. bronsta

bronsta Member

Diamond girl, I couldn't agree more! The pop-up I just sold was a 1992 Coleman (almost no issues and absolutely nothing major) and, unfortunately, we'll probably never see that quality camper again.
    You'd think that, after all these years of mediocre campers, there'd be a company that would want to stake a claim as the new Coleman.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  5. Hilldweller

Hilldweller Well-Known Member

The sales experience wasn't bad; wish the salesman had communicated more often, given me updates. The delivery day was great, they were all very very nice, the F&I guy was fantastic, but they obviously didn't PDI in a comprehensive manner.
    Better PDI would've at least caught the broken lock knob on the Fantastic Fan, the deadbolt that doesn't work, and the screen that's too small to stay in the groove.

I'll try to remember when we're on the mountain over 4th of July week.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  6. Campeador

Campeador Active Member

We'll pick up our 2021 Expedition in about a week. I am starting to think it would be smart to simply replace the ducts with insulated ones from the get go and start forming a plan for rerouting where they vent for a year after purchase date (out of warranty). I'll probably call and confirm with CNW to make sure replacing their shitty ducts w/ properly insulated ones won't void my warranty before making the change.

DiamondGirl and Hilldweller like this.
  7. Hilldweller

Yeah, there's no point in risking water damage.

Even after I replace (or they replace) my ducts I think I'll be putting a pan of kitty litter under them for the first few uses. That's if I ever camp in the heat again...
    It's just so much easier to get warm than cool while camping.

Example --- that's me on the right, January 2020, Country Fried Weekend. Wet, cold, dreary. Build a fire.

DdkyAEr.jpg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  8. Campeador

Campeador Active Member

Completely agree: just put on more layers and get active! For heat, I've learned that the key is being near water. Kayak/ tube/ swim/ soak in a river while drinking a cold one/ etc.

9. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

They're is. Do you want to afford it?

Let's be blount. On a 30 year old camper all the factory problems have been fixed. With Aliner, most of the employees were driven off in the hysteria and they had to rehired/retrain.

I imagine this is the same with all campers.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  10. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Outstanding, & some of the most memorable trips...and one heck of a video! [CB][CB]

11. Hilldweller

Every MLK weekend --- you're invited for 2022. Bring beer...

Rik Peery and cindy_k like this.
  12. Hilldweller

How.I'd.do.it.jpg

This is how I think they should do it from the factory.

Stack of vents, ducts insulated and straight. Can build a wall to the left of them for the storage area, even insulate them more with polyfill.
    Converter as far away as you can, a little up off the floor for good measure. Other electronics located away from possible water.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    DiamondGirl likes this.
  13. Hilldweller

Kevin from Aliner finally emailed me.
    Southland RV told them that they ran my A/C for 24 hours to test it after plugging the center hole. That was not the case, I replied to Kevin; I was there and they ran it for 3 hours. With the bed elevated on its struts. Much better air circulation.

If Aliner keeps shrugging their shoulders I'm going to buy the insulated ducting and install it. I'll also get some insulated board material and close off the storage compartment to the left of the heat pump (passenger side). That compartment has no wall to separate it from the A/C area so every time you open the outside hatch you let in a nice big dump of warm moist air.

I can say at this point that I don't trust the dealership or the manufacturer to stand behind the product.

Cayliner, Rik Peery and firepit like this.
  14. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

It's sad..But as soon as you drive off with it...They are on to the next sale.
    Coachmen couldn't even tell me the material of my my canvas or who supplies it or makes it for them.
    That was a wasted hour of calling 10 different numbers.

Rik Peery and Hilldweller like this.
  15. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

I had toyed with the idea of running our two ducts to the sides of the Aliner. Then coming out of the counter tops, by the door and by the refrigerator. At night, with the bed pulled out, it blocked any chance of pushing air up.

Is the return air "filter" still foam sheet stapled to plywood? I had a removable filter from a cheap Walmart AC I was planning to build a frame for.

16. Hilldweller

I haven't looked for the filter yet. I saw it in the manual but haven't actually dived in there.

17. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

For the benefit of those who will follow in the future, I suggest another Thread be started. Most scan the sub forums for topics by scanning the title of the thread. Cooling the peak is an important topic that I speculate effects most people with Cool cats, etc.

I suggest "Aliner, Cooling the Peak". This thread would only be successful with other contributing partners agreement to the new thread..

David Blackwell and Hilldweller like this.
  18. Hilldweller

Saturday I walled-in the storage area adjacent to the a/c box, the passenger side rear. It's completely open in stock trim --- so if your a/c is running and you open that hatch, warm moist air gets fed to the a/c. I used plywood inside the compartment and inside the a/c box I put 2" thick foam board insulation.
    Then I wrapped the a/c ducts with self-stick duct insulation. Found one duct disconnected from the vent so I stuck it back on and secured it with Gorilla duct tape.

Ran the test in the driveway. (which includes a Trailer Valet fail).
    83 in the sun outside and 72 inside. Better than it was but not as good as I'd like.

We're really looking forward to our week off starting Saturday.

Cayliner and cindy_k like this.
  19. etm63

etm63 New Member

Hill and all,
    Thanks for all the info. Picking up my new Ranger 12 tomorrow. Not gonna lie, kinda wondering now if I've made the right decision but hell, that train's done left the station I guess. Anyway, still excited and I figure I'll deal with whatever comes my way with it. Plus, definitely book marking this site and I gotta lot of reading to do!!! lol!

Hilldweller likes this.
  20. Hilldweller

Congrats and enjoy.
    I camp with quite a few people from Charlotte, btw. Join up on ExPo and c'mon out if you get the bug.
    https://expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/southeast-sponsored-southeast-expedition-society.84/

Pedro Galvan and etm63 like this.