wood removal from aluminum

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Tammy01, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Tammy01

Tammy01 New Member

Hello all, WE have an emergency (sort of). we have two weeks to get the pup ready for the road, and we are having trouble. its a 1994 palomino stallion, the trouble is getting the wood off of aluminum on the front and back of the top. it had rotted, but only half of it. we have started removing it. everything is off, like the lights, wires, etc, we just have the wood left, and i feel like i'm doing more damage to the aluminum than anything. i feel like, once i'm done with what i'm doing, i will not be able to get the aluminum to rest back onto the wood "nicely". i've searched videos, but everything is made of particle board and ours is solid wood. the rotted part came off good, but the rest of it is being a stinker.

can anyone please help with thoughts?

tricks, tips, anything. I've thought of maybe bringing a hair dryer out and heating it up????

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina. A handheld power planer can be set to take off a lot of material quick. When most of the material is gone, it can then be dialed back to take off a thin layer with each pass.

3. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Tammy, By "air dryer" you must mean a heat gun? Depending on the type of glue used, that might help. I'd say for the price of a 1500 watt heat gun, I'd try it. Aluminum likes to take heat, were as wood has much insulation to it.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    nineoaks2004 likes this.
  4. cabranch47

cabranch47 Member

I have had pretty good luck with an oscillating tool with a "not super sharp" scraper blade. Mine was mostly particle board though.