Work-Around for Glide Tape

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by Clawhauser, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Clawhauser

Clawhauser Member

Hello! We just brought our camper home yesterday & I'm already planning the redecorating bc that's just me. :grin:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UC4S7M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_Ul0dGbG8RK9DH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Our curtains use this glide tape track. I want to replace them but I REALLY want to avoid sewing this tape on. Has anyone found a good work around for this track without too much modification? I was thinking maybe a hook that fits on or something? I'm not really sure what I'm thinking except that I have a 50+ yr old sewing machine and it is a PITA.

I've thought about fabric glue & velcro but my kids would prob yank that right off.

Any tips or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

The only thing I can think of is to cut away the old curtains but still keep the tabs on the rail and glue command strip hooks on the old clips and hand sow loops on the new curtains. However, On my curtains the C clips where just a bit under an inch in size my valance used the smaller clips you linked. I didn't do this myself as my mom talked me out of it. She is the type that says best do it the correct way 1st. :smiley:

Clawhauser likes this.
  3. Clawhauser

Clawhauser Member

Yea, I'll probably end up doing it the right way (or paying someone to), but you know - just trying to take the easy way out

4. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

But 50 year old sewing machines are the good ones for this sort of thing!

kitphantom likes this.
  5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Other than doing as jmkay1 suggested, sewing the tape is probably the better plan. I did the cut and sew on for the privacy curtain in our Coleman Cobalt, using the original mesh and clips for the top. That was a pain, because the mesh was not really straight.Many vintage machines are perfectly up to doing this type of project, but some of them would struggle. Knowing why it's a pain for you would be helpful. (Says the person with three 1950s Singer machines, and 3 more modern Bernina machines, 1980s and early 2000s, plus a 1902 hand crank Singer that I am rehabbing - so machines don't hold much terror for me.)

6. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Do you have a picture of the rail it goes into handy? Maybe we can come up with something to try on based on the slot...I had a weird curtain system in my '74 Apache that accepted hand-sewn beads...

(I have an old Kenmore. Even the plastic parts are metal painted to look plastic. It'll go through that tape, and your finger at the same time, no problem!)

7. Clawhauser

Clawhauser Member

I believe mine is a 1970 Kenmore - possibly older? It's only a pain because I was never really taught to sew or to use it, I sort of figure it out as I have issues - which is fine but a pain in the rear end. It needs to be serviced small parts maybe replaced (example, the needle doesn't stay in tight and if I forget to keep tightening it, it falls out now and then). I can definitely work the thing - Ive made bags & masks and things. But projects that should take 1hr take me 4 because i just can't seem to get it right (so it's more me than the machine, but I'd rather blame the machine)

Ill upload a pic of the rails. I was thinking I might gorilla glue some type of alligator clamp to the clips and use them to hold the curtain. Then do the valence properly and that will cover my laziness. [LOL]

8. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Teehee. I took off my valances cuz I don't want stupid pink ruffles in my camper!

Maybe you just need a bunch of rare earth magnets. Gosh I love those things...

Clawhauser likes this.
  9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

If you have or can find and download the manual for the machine, that will help. A good cleaning and oiling in the proper places can do wonders. not sure about the needles issue, unless the threading is stripped. using the proper thread and needles is key too.
    There are vintage sewing machine groups on FB, and most have files with info that should help. I don't have a Kenmore, but I bet there's a site for those. sewed on one my mom bought back in the 60s, it was actually a good machine.

10. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Mine's from '68-'69. It's 45 pounds. :) I, too, won't upgrade it because I prefer to blame my lack of skill on the machine. (And yet somehow my mom can make it do all sorts of tricks.)

If you actually care about that old machine, you can find the model from the serial number. If it's old enough to be one of the all-metal ones made in Japan, they do have a bit of a following due to their tanky build. If it's a sagey avocado green, I can scan relevant parts of the manual...

11. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

I just bought the new curtains and used pop rivets with a backer washer to attach the glides. I harvested the glides from the old curtains. Gives an industrial modern look ;)

12. LaramieLovers

LaramieLovers New Member

My first rehab, I reused and sewed the glide tape tabs onto new curtains. That worked until it didn’t, and the tabs were slowly pulled off by kids, the washing machine, and rough handling of the curtains. I’m doing my second reno of the same camper, and going with pre-fab curtains that have big metal loops in them for a curtain rod. I plan to put command adhesive hooks on the wall and put one loop on each hook. It could have been a genius, no sew solution, except I bought the curtains too long and had to hem them. D’oh!

Clawhauser likes this.
  13. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

wait a second...we're supposed to wash those????

14. LaramieLovers

LaramieLovers New Member

Lol. It helps!

15. Clawhauser

Clawhauser Member

Eh

16. Clawhauser

Clawhauser Member

I just thought I'd offer an update for any future users looking for a glide tape solution. I saw the idea on FB. I ran the glide tape though the rod pocket & cut slits for the clips. It worked perfectly. Taking them down to wash- may be a challenge but I'm happy to have them up.

For those who have been kissing sleep over this . - I did use the sewing machine bc the curtains I loved were grommet style so I cut that off and made a rod pocket. So not completely free of the machine.

17. BikerGeek

BikerGeek Member

Do you know if there's a video available for this. We've been banging our heads on how to redo the curtains. TIA

18. Clawhauser

Clawhauser Member

Not that I know of. I purchased this tape from Amazon. Then ran through the rod pocket & cut slits to stick the clips through, then put that up on the camper.

I'll try to attach some pics that might help? I went nuts trying to figure out what to do until I read about someone doing this! Lol

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UC4S7...abc_8EXPJ37F69WTGMHMCPJ3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Attached Files:

LaramieLovers likes this.