Worried about a lack of brakes

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by TRA, Apr 4, 2013.

1. TRA

TRA New Member

So my car is rated to tow 2400lbs, and brakes are recommended for anything over 1,000lbs. The trailer is 1,300lbs, and about 1,600lbs when loaded with our gear.

We obviously WANT to put brakes on it, but the RV dealer is saying that the axle doesn't support brakes. Replacing the axle and adding brakes looks to be a HUGE expense for less than 10 trips per year that are all within 200 miles.

If we took it REALLY easy should we be ok while we save up some money? Possible to get through this season? Any recommendations for brands of axles and brakes to look at?

2. CamperMike

CamperMike Well-Known Member

Why couldn't a welding shop weld the required plates onto your existing axle?

3. TRA

TRA New Member

Great question. I'd have to find one.

4. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

I am taking a wild guess… .Subaru?

We have a smaller tow vehicle also. I am so glad we have brakes. Stats show that most accidents happen close to home.

I look at it this way…
    Does the safety of your family really have a price?

5. TRA

TRA New Member

You're right. I can't put a price on my family's safety. Any suggestions for axle and brake manufacturers?

6. bondebond

bondebond New Member

You can go with the industry standard, Dexter, for both. They make quite a few choices but I would suggest something like the D20 on the light end http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/600-8K_Cat_1-12/1000-2200_Lbs_1-12.pdf

If it were me, I would move up to like the D30 because of the larger brake drums (10" instead of the 7.5" above). It's a heavier duty axle and brake system, but realize that it does not increase your towing capacity simply by putting on an axle with a higher capacity rating. Other factors are involved.
    http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/600-8K_Cat_1-12/2300-3500_Lbs_1-12.pdf

You will likely have to get new wheels and tires based on the likely bolt pattern differences.

I don't think too many would not recommend Dexter as most of us are rolling around on them. This can get expensive but I am glad that you value the safety of yours and others.

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Before you go crazy. Can you take a photo of the back of the PUP's wheel (underneath). Like this ......
    [​IMG] We are looking for that square flange with the holes in it.

And here is a lot of info on trailer brakes. http://www.randpcarriages.com/tech/brakeinstall.html

8. altozwei

altozwei New Member

We were just thinking about this same thing. Can anyone give a ballpark figure on what it costs to do this? We had looked at a trailer that we loved but passed on it because, even though it didn't exceed our towing ability, we were worried about having a trailer notably heavier than our previous model without trailer brakes.