Worried about max tire load

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by jjmac, Sep 15, 2016.

1. jjmac

jjmac Member

So I was looking at my tires today, and they say the maximum load is 1480 lbs. I have 2 tires, that's 2960 lbs total max weight. But the dry weight of my camper is 3250, loaded I'm sure I'm over 4000 lbs. So what's the deal, did someone put wrong tires on this trailer? Am I in danger towing like this? I've already taken it on a 2 hour drive and was planning another 2 hour drive tomorrow evening, but this has me worried.

2. gruss

gruss Active Member

That's dry weight minus tongue weight. I'd say wrong tires but "someone" said they'd be fine. Since that's all they need to carry

Sent from my SM-G930V

3. jjmac

jjmac Member

I see. That makes me feel a little better at least. They are fairly new tires, gently used but I'll put it on my list to get it some beefier ones next time. Tires and things related to towing is one area I don't want to skimp on to save a few bucks.

4. gruss

gruss Active Member

I'd bump up a load range asap. And make sure your spare is aired up until then!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

5. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

I'm sure your tires are up to the task, if the tongue weight is 1040 lbs, (4000-2960) but with that kind of TW how are your TV tires loaded?

6. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Your tongue weight should be in the neighborhood of 400-500 lbs, leaving your tires to support around 3500 lbs. You're overloading them. You need to get tires that are rated for the load they're carrying.

7. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Do they match the tire info on the placard at the left front corner of the trailer?

8. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

What is the TV? Most half ton PUs only have a trailer hitch rated up to 800 lbs maximum with direct weight and around 1200 lbs with a weight distribution system.
    Also what's the load rating of the TV, including the rear axle?

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Replace them before you go anywhere... Your tires should be able to support the GVWR of the trailer.. at minimum they should support the GVWR - the tongue weight of 10% (of the GVWR)..

This is another reason people have to stop using the phoney dry weight numbers when talking about what their trailer weighs, dry weight is B.S.,,

10. jjmac

jjmac Member

TV is a 2014 Dodge Durango Citadel, maximum tow capacity of 6200 lbs max tongue weight of 620 lbs.

11. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

That does not change anything. Your trailer tires are hunting for the right place to leave you setting...

12. jjmac

jjmac Member

Ok so this is the most important "upgrade" for me right now. I will replace the tires, but a few questions.

My current tires are: ST185/80 D13

Does this mean to fit these rims, the new tire also needs to have these same specs? If so, I'm thinking of getting these: http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tires_and_Wheels-sf-Tire_Only-gw-185%7C80~13-pc-13_Inch.aspx

Rated to 1725 each that should put me in a good range to safely carry my loaded camper from what I understand after talking to you guys.

13. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

So, the D13 in your tire, indicates load range D, yet you say they say Max weight of 1400lbs.... Maybe the tires are derated or something.

If your buying tires, check the price difference (and shipping) to have them sent premounted. Might be worth it to you.

Also, check trailer tires ans wheels, I've had very good luck with them:
    http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/page/482375602

14. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside...

See this link about tire markings and sizing. https://www.etrailer.com/faq-tires.aspx

Load range is not listed in the tire sizing info. It is usually found in the specs on the tire. I always purchase load range D, however load range C is cheaper.

15. jjmac

jjmac Member

16. rabird

rabird Howdy!

jjmac

what's the factory tire spec and GVWR

ST185/80 D13 & 3250lb?

17. jjmac

jjmac Member

Honestly I'm not sure if I got it right in my original post. I've been trying to find that information. I looked on the tongue and frame last night but I could not find any sticker or engraving that said anything about tires.

I just found a manual online and it says TW 350lbs, GAWR 3000lbs, GVWR 3350lbs

Does GVWR mean that it is the maximum load for the trailer and all cargo? The PO told me the dry weight was 3250lbs, is it possible he mixed it up with GVWR and the tires I'm on are actually ok?

18. rabird

rabird Howdy!

yes!

I'm wrong again, looks like they changed to C78-13ST in '01 and the GVWR is 3350.

C78-13ST may mean something to someone here. [:)C]

$10 or so gets ya weighed at a CAT scale!

https://www.etrailer.com/question-59950.html

19. jjmac

jjmac Member

I think that's my next step at this point, I need to know exactly what I'm working with here as I can't find any more information online. Now to find a CAT scale near me :)

20. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), or gross vehicle mass (GVM) is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo.

In other words, the maximum possible weight of your trailer.

The gross axle weight rating (GAWR) is the maximum distributed weight that may be supported by an axle of a road vehicle