Worried about ticks, some advice needed

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by br00n0, Jul 16, 2013.

1. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

About a month ago, I developed severe pain, and limited mobility in my left knee, so saw an Ortho Doc. The first thing he asked, was if I camped, and of course, I replied yes. He said that he had seen a young boy just the previous week, who had the same symptoms, and it was due to Lymes Dz. I had the test, and it was negative. But was interested to know that this was a symptom of Lymes.

2. froggie

froggie New Member

Check the dogs. They're the most likely culprit for bringing them into the pup.

3. br00n0

br00n0 New Member

Hi,

Exceptionnaly on this trip, the dog will stay at the vet's nursing home. Bringing a dog to the US requires vaccines, medals and paperwork. Maybe next year.

B.

4. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Last month we camped just north of Columbus with our two dogs. In the car during the ride home, we found a tick on one of them that hadn't attached itself yet. We quickly removed it. Several hours later, I felt something on my neck. Reached up and found a tick crawling on me! Our other dog had been sleeping on my lap, so I'm not sure if it hitchhiked on him or on me. Both dogs had been treated before our trip with tick preventative.

My nephew camped out west 3 weeks ago. Developed a high fever 1 week after returning. This weekend he had the tell tale rings on his extremities. Doctor took one look at him and said 'Lyme Disease'. He's on strong antibiotics for a month and not feeling very well.

I think ticks are everywhere this year and you just have to be aware and take precautions.