Worst experience camping....

Discussion in 'Best Wishes/Remembrances for Loved Ones & Friends' started by mschepac, Apr 29, 2014.

1. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

Just wanted to share my last weekend camping experience.
    We camp with a group of 8 families. One of the families has an electric golf cart that we all enjoy from time to time. (please, no comments on this fact) We were doing nothing at the site and decided to go for a ride. As we got to the seasonal section of the campground we came across a woman lying in the road, several people approaching to help. We sat, at a distance for about 10 seconds (waiting to see if she just fell, or it was something more serious). At this point, one of my friends jumped off and did what we could do to help. At the same time I called one of our camping friends still at the campsite (on the other side of the campground) who is an EMT, and my other friend (driving) high tailed the cart back to get him. Luckily he had his EMT bag which contained oxygen and a breathing bag.
    After my EMT friend and several of the other people had performed CPR for approx. 10-15 minutes the ambulance finally arrived. I wish I could say this story had a happy ending... 47 years old, family... You just never know....
    After I got home, I wrote an email to the corporate offices that own the campground that and AED should have been available. We'll see what if anything happens...

2. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

That's a tough thing to witness. I hope they put and AED in. But if I were to die suddenly I would want it to be at our favorite park. I already told my honey that's where I want my ashes spread.

3. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Sorry to hear of your experience. An AED may have made a difference, but having one in every possible place is impossible. Local 1st responder program with AED would be a better benefit to the entire area....

4. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Sad circumstance to come across. On the other hand, what a better way to go than to pass away while doing something you love to do.

5. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

This is also a good reason to learn CPR. It's difficult to say whether or not her survival chances might have improved if one of the first people to find her had known and started CPR.

I'm not only certified in CPR, I also keep one of the resuscitation barrier masks on me, for that "just in case" scenario. You just never know.