worthless smoke detector

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Anthony Hitchings, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

the ionisation type of smoke detector installed in our Aliner is not appropriate. It fires off due to vapor from pour over coffee making or a spec of dust in the furnace. An old fashioned optical type detector would be better. In reality, no detector is needed in an Aliner with two adults, there is never a flame on when we are not in the camper.

P.S. The battery cannot be removed from the detector.

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I would just remove it and purchase the correct detector then install it.

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

An ionization detector is capable of detecting particles of combustion smaller than a photoelectric can. If your unit is that sensitive it could be dirty. Vacuum out, ( not blow) around the opening.
    You don't have flame but you do have electricity. An ionization type is much more likely to detect an electrical fire in its incipient stage.

4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

During cleanup from a camping trip two days ago, I checked ours to see if the battery needed to be changed. Found the battery shipping tab had never been pulled, so it was not working for two years. Like you, no flames in the camper.

5. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Unfortunately for some, I have a job because life happens. No one wakes up thinking "I'm going to have a house fire today". But plenty of people are saved by that little annoying beeping sound.
    (P.s. about half of our structures fire are caused by electrical issues...i.e. no open flame)

kitphantom likes this.
  6. Anthony Hitchings

Structure fires and electricity are not the same as an Aliner with fuses on all 12V branch circuits (and more), and breakers for shore power circuits .

7. Anthony Hitchings

BTW, if its working u should see an occasional red or green blink from a small LED

8. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

You dont think every circuit in a house has a breaker? In a perfect world those circuit breakers and fuses work as designed. But it isnt a perfect world and things still happen.

9. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I don't even have a smoke alarm in the Pup. I agree that an A-liner does not have the same soft walls that I could just jump out of in case of a fire, but realistically, even in an A-liner, you're never more than about 5-6 feet away from the door. We sleep with multiple screens open to prevent condensation, and a sharp hunting knife at bedside to cut open tenting if needing to escape. I'm not 100% sure, (I do know that someone will correct me), but I don't think you can sleep through smoke as easily as you can sleep through CO. A CO detector is a different thing altogether, and I would never go without that, but as far as a smoke alarm, I don't think its needed. I don't need false alarms going off every time I bbq beside the Pup, or one of the kids starts up a campfire to make smores.

As for breakers and fire in a house, thats totally different. You can be trapped in a house, literally rooms and door openings away from the outside world and safety. I don't consider this a problem in a Pup or A-liner, (maybe slightly more of an issue in a TT).

10. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I know its off topic but your statement reminded me of when I backpacked and I took my younger cousin with me.
    I put my hunting knife next to me when I slept. He asked what it was for. I told him it was in case of a bear trying to get in. He had a startled look on his face and then asked" Are you going to fight a bear with that?" I said, Hell no. Its to make a new door.

11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Most fatal fires are from smoke inhalation, not from being burned. If your detector is too sensitive, replace it , or get a battery one and locate it in a diffrent spot. A smal flame , say a match on a drape can spread to a full blown house fire in 10 minutes. A single room needs much less time. Get the detector, its cheap insurance.

tombiasi and Tom Jordan like this.
  12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The detector in our pup wasn't bad. The one in our TT will sometimes go off if we forget to open the outside vent flap and light a match to start the burner. It will also go off if we cook precooked bacon or sausage in a skillet and let it go a bit too far without the fan on. It also gets pickier as the battery ages, so iwhen it gets super-sensitive, we know it's time to replace the battery.
    I still don't want to be without one - I've lost part of my sense of smell, and the first notes of burning are one thing that can escape me. Since I don't smell LP until it's pretty strong too, I also like having the LP/CO detector, which worked great when I knocked the LP burner just slightly on and didn't notice until the detector went off in the middle of the night (after I closed the big window when it got cold).

13. Anthony Hitchings

The existing detector is battery powered - and continues to beep even when thrown outside in a fit of frustration. Battery is sealed inside the unit - as is modern practice.

Wife and I will not both sleep thru smoke. We both have different (experiential) reasons for that being programmed into our subconscious.

14. Sjm9911

I pulled 3 people out of burning buildings this year, 2 survived. 1 didn't. No detectors. Don't chance it. Its not worth it. Yes the new units are 10 year sealed batteries. Get a diffrent one. Or move it to a different location. You cant will yourself to wake up if smelling smoke. Trust me. It doesn't work.

kitphantom likes this.
  15. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Well-Known Member

We have a CO and LP gas detector but not a smoke detector.

[​IMG]
    MTI Industries 35-742-WT Safe T Alert 35 Series Dual LP/CO Alarm - Flush Mount, White Sold by: BZB Marine & RV on Amazon

We replaced our expired LP gas and CO detectors with this combination.

I'm thinking our old CO detector was a combination CO and smoke detector.
    If true then we don't have a smoke detector anymore in the popup and I should add one.

16. Anthony Hitchings

We also have the Propane-only alarm from the same manufacturer, hardwired.

17. Sjm9911

I just ordered that last month, mine went bad, went off 3 times in the middle of the night, so i disconected it after checking for lp leaks. No, its not a smoke detector, but will go off eventually if there is a fire. Co detectors can be mounted close to the floor, smokes can not.

18. Anthony Hitchings

I just ordered a photo-electric smoke detector with CO included, battery powered. Lets see if that device can be agreeable in close quarters!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  19. Sjm9911

Thanks, from the fire service. Unfortunately, the majority of fire fatalities is when there is no working smoke detectors. This is atually why they went to the 10 year battery, as most people just took the batteries out to turn off nuisance alarms. I get it. But i also see the aftermath of not having them. Thanks, i appreciate it. And i hope it never goes off!

DiamondGirl likes this.
  20. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Well-Known Member

It's not easy to find a 12V hard wired smoke detector. Anybody seen a good one?

Batteries have to come out in the winter, otherwise the alarm goes off when the battery dies from the cold.
    Opening up the camper in the middle of winter to remove the beeping battery is not fun. Done it too many times.