worthless smoke detector

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Anthony Hitchings, Dec 6, 2019.

1. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

You would be amazed at how many fatality fires we go on that the smoke detectors are still going off. It's one of first questions the fire inspector asks. "Were the detectors sounding?"

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

From my experience its the oposite. It could be the area that your in. I have 23 years on the job, and we respond to a lot of mutual aid to surounding areas that are not well off. Newark, orange, east orange , irvington west orange etc. The only fatal i was on that had woring smokes was the seton hall university fire. That was basicly kids becoming unconditioned to alarms, so not evacuating because of false alarms. 3 fatals and 56 injured that time. Every other fatal fire that i can recall, had no working smoke detectors.

3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I would never recommend it, but I had to take the batteries out of my smoke detector. I tired quickly of waking in the middle of the night every time the wind shifted the smoke from a campfire in my direction.

4. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Well-Known Member

Thank you First Responders for giving advice and reasons why.

Sometimes we forget the important reason why devices are there. Which is to help save lives. Even though they can be a pain to deal with.

I think my detector is reaching its last year and needs to be replaced soon. I’ve had to reset it more than 3 times at my last camping trip. The reset button is under the bed so it’s difficult to get too.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

bheff likes this.
  5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I have these in each of my campers: https://www.amazon.com/Kidde-210260...ords=co+smoke+detector?&qid=1575699537&sr=8-5

I have seen videos of RVs burning up - it's not like a house that takes a decent amount of time to burn. An RV will turn into rubble within a couple minutes max. While I may be able to get out, I am unlikely to be able to get my animals out in time. And the chance of getting burned on the way out is high.

Neither are permanently attached to a wall/ceiling. In the clipper, it slides between trim on a narrow strip of wall. In the FnR, it sits on the counter. Every once in a while the one in the clipper will set off - I just slide it off the wall, set it on a seat and cover it with a pillow while I finish cooking. Then I put it back up.

I was able to buy my sticks & bricks because the prior owner has a house fire and died inside. His widow couldn't afford to keep the house. I don't take chances.

DiamondGirl and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Well-Known Member

Thanks I'm looking for a 12 volt hard wired model

7. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Well-Known Member

We recently ordered a Dometic 31012 CO & LP detector. Atwood model 31011 is now manufactured by Dometic. While there are older models sold as Atwood... We decided to get the newer Dometic model 31012 instead. DH removed the older unit, the date on the back was 7/31/11. These units only have a life span of 7 years. So it was past the replacement time. Cant wait till it gets installed. The last camping trip was a pain of having to reset the unit several times. But it’s best to have one than not. IMHO.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]