Would anyone be interested in a Star Party Rally?

Discussion in 'Astronomy / Star Gazing' started by Hoomi, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

It's been a while since I attended any star parties, but I recently dug my old scopes out again, cleaned them up, and want to get back out under some dark skies.

I was wondering if there would be any interest in putting together a Star Party Rally for a spring or fall New Moon weekend.

2. USKustoms

USKustoms pimp my trailer

3. AZJim1

AZJim1 Member

Sounds like a fun idea. If you come up with some firm plans let me know and I will see if we can maybe make it happen.

We have had a couple of fun stargazing/camping experiences . . .

When we went to Kartchner Caverns SP we were outside finishing up dinner and a man came walking out of the dark from the campsite behind us and asked us if my kids would like to look at Saturn through their telescope. So we went over to his campsite and probably spent a half-hour or 45 minutes looking at Saturn and talking to him about his stargazing.

When we were in Bryce Canyon NP they had a Stargazing/Ranger Talk night. They had two or three pretty big Telescopes set up and we got to look a nebula, Saturn, and something I don't remember now . . .

4. Pockets

Pockets Member

Sounds interesting. What location are you considering? It's been a while since DH and I have enjoyed our pup, plus we have a really small table top telescope to bring.

Pockets

5. Hoomi

I've done a little looking at locations, but not a lot yet until I knew if there was enough interest to start pursuing it.

Too bad Oracle State Park doesn't have a campground. They received an excellent rating for dark skies, and have astronomy nights several times a year.

There are a number of great campground locations around the Southwest that would be fantastic for a star party. Any suggestions that offer minimal ambient lighting and few trees or other such obstructions would be good.

Kartchner Caverns State Park is a nice location (and the caverns are awesome). Homolovi State Park near Winslow is a short distance off I-40, with few obstructions to the sky view, while not too far from the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest National Park. While it's been a while since we've been there, Rockhound State Park near Deming New Mexico would also be a good option.

I have both an 8" and a 10" f4.5 Dobsonian that I would be bringing.

6. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

I am going to bring my Meade ETX-90 Maksutov-Cassegrain
    to 2015 Quad-State Rally.

So, if you can make it we could set up one evening.

7. Hoomi

Sounds good!

8. Hoomi

It really is too bad they changed the campground at Kitt Peak to a day-use picnic area only. A Star Party Rally at Kitt Peak would have been perfect.

The Kitt Peak website lists the nearest camping location as Gilbert Ray campground in Tucson Mountain Park. As close as it is, we've never stayed there, but have driven through to check it out before.

Gilbert Ray would be an option, if we wanted to make a Saturday visit to Kitt Peak part of the weekend activities. There's also the Flandrau Science Center and Planetarium at the University of Arizona nearby.

Tucson Mountain Park has a terrific network of hiking trails, and the campground is very close to both the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum (an EXCELLENT place to visit) and Old Tucson Studios. Saguaro National Park West is a very short drive, and many of the hiking trails actually take you into the National Park.

Flandrau Science Center

Kitt Peak

Arizona Sonora Desert Museum

Gilbert Ray Campground