Would it make sense to enclose wires in conduit?

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by SteveM_CT, Aug 2, 2012.

1. SteveM_CT

SteveM_CT Member

I need to get some flexible conduit for another project and thought, wouldn't it make sense to have all the wires from the battery to the interior of the PUP enclosed in flexible conduit?

This is the stuff I'm talking about:
    http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/91/912bc3d7-db5b-4aeb-8b08-3bf9ea0abc41_300.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/QuickViewService?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&R=202364500&catEntryId=202364500

It's flexible, waterproof and you can get watertight ends, including 90 degree bends.

If I attach an outdoor electrical box to the battery box and run the wires from the battery into the box (drill a hole in the battery box to come into the box from the back), then use this stuff from there under the PUP then into the compartment with the electrical (in my case, the seat) with a 90 degree connector, then all wires would be enclosed where the mice can't chew on them, and there won't be any openings for bugs to get in.

Has anyone done this?

Steve

2. leof

leof Member

I haven't done it with my pop-up but I use this and regular conduit to wire up our work truck beds.

Should be ok just don't over stuff the conduit with too many wires. Need to have some space in there.

3. singledad

singledad New Member

That seems ok, only one thing, if you need to trouble shoot a problem, then it will be harder to get to the wires.

4. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

What you want is "Split Wire Loom". Cheap, easy to find at any auto parts store and easy to use.
    [​IMG]

Painstakingly typed with very large fingers from my teenie, tiny iPhone.

5. SteveM_CT

SteveM_CT Member

Split wire loom isn't waterproof and doesn't provide a way to seal up the connections. Can also fill up with road grime.

Handy stuff for organizing the wires inside, though. And I could use it on the existing wires that won't be in the conduit. Keeps everything neat.

Yes, you need to have room inside, if for no other reason to have the ability to run another wire in the future. I could use 1/2", but I think I'll go with 3/4" just to have more room.

Steve

6. daveo1289

daveo1289 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a nice mod. As I read your post, I pictured my own PUP with the mods. Thanks.

7. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

It also don't take UV exposure very well where it's exposed to sunlight.