Would like to hear from Highwall owners

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by raising4daughters, Sep 8, 2019.

1. raising4daughters

raising4daughters New Member

After a lot of back-and-forths between a 12' with slideout dinette and front storage vs. a 14' highwall, the wife and I found a used highwall we plan to purchase sometime this week pending a more thorough inspection from a dealer who's serviced our current PUP. She wants the bathroom.

It comes in at about 3,000 lbs. with about 800 lbs. CCC (yellow sticker, not theoretical).

We need a new TV. What do you HW owners tow with if other than a 1/2T truck? Full-size truck or SUV (e.g. Tahoe) just aren't to happen for us. Heavily leaning toward the Colorado or Tacoma despite some others' warnings. Tow capacity isn't the issue at 7,000 lbs, but more about payload.

Assuming 15% (high) for tongue weight, we're at 550-600 lbs. (only 450 at 12%) for tongue weight. We are small people, about 550-600 lbs. in passengers (wife, me, 12 y/o, friend/cousin). Eldest 3 girls are all 21-26 and drive separately if they go with us. No pets. Colorado model I'm considering has nearly 1,600 lbs. payload.

HW looks like it can fit all our gear, including bikes, without maxing out the trailer. Probably only clothing would go in the TV. We tend to buy food near and get fresh water at (if no city water) the campgrounds.

Planning on a WDH, too.

Thoughts, warnings, cautions, or suggestions?

2. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

What model are you planning on getting? We'd be able to offer more if we knew--some models tow better than others, for example.

My parents do a lot of small trailer (not popup but similar weight) mountain towing with a Durango. You shouldn't need a big ol' truck.

(I tow my HW with a big ol' truck. I would not purchase a truck JUST for towing a HW no matter how magical that diesel is when it gets to the mountains...)

3. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

I have a 4Runner, so the drive train is similar to the Tacoma.
    It tows...ok. Our camper is lighter than yours (2400lbs) and we don't have any trouble with it.

Certainly doesn't tow like a 1/2 ton or bigger truck though.
    Have you looked at a new Ranger? Because I did and they are a nice mid size truck.

pattishadow likes this.
  4. raising4daughters

Leaning toward a Colorado V6 4WD LT Crew Cab with short or long bed.

Will consider the Ford Ranger XLT or Tacoma SR5 but pricing and incentives have me leaning GM.

If you were asking about the model HW, we are looking at a Flagstaff HW27SC.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  5. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

Sorry, we use a 1/2 ton pick up to tow ours.

6. JunkyBurrittos

JunkyBurrittos Active Member

I had a 14' box highwall for three seasons that I just sold a week ago. It had a dry weight of 2900 and a GVWR of I think around 3700 and had the slide out dinette and toilet/shower combo so sounds similar. I towed with 2014 GMC Acadia and it honestly towed as though nothing was back there. Please note that the new Acadia's only tow 4000 but I went back a couple years where they had a longer wheel base and could tow 5200. You do want to ensure that you get the factory-installed tow package with transmission cooling etc. with whatever you wind up purchasing. After-market add-ons can be dodgy and missing key components, from my understanding. I also installed a brake controller (or had my friend do so!) and used a WDH. I never had problems with sway or not having enough power.

I would think with any SUV or truck frontal load wouldn't be an issue because I doubt the HW would be taller than your roof. Although I will say I just towed home my NTU hybrid with a dry weight of about 3700, nervous as heck that it wouldn't be able to handle it, and it did really well, only taching up a little on big long hills going over 50 mph.

Good luck!

raising4daughters likes this.
  7. raising4daughters

Thanks. That's great a relevant feedback. Gives me more confidence that a compact truck (Ranger, Colorado, Tacoma) will be more than enough for us.

8. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

I think you will be fine with a smaller truck. High Walls still have the advantage of a lower side profile thus less wind load. The biggest issue I could see with a smaller truck is on a full profile trailer the wind pushing the trailer around and the truck having issues with that.

Payload would be the other thing I would worry about but you have done your homework there. Best of luck with your search.

9. cabranch47

cabranch47 Member

I have a 2009 HW27SC and love the trailer. My '99 F150 with 4.6 V8 tows it well on level terrain but it struggles on long grades, even the "hills" in Mississippi. Cannot use cruise control or overdrive most of the time. Truck is in good condition, I believe the issue is the rear end gear ratio (3.55 I believe). this has limited us from going out west because of the mountains. Hope to change that in the future with a new TV.

10. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

I tow a '10 Niagara with a 2015 Tacoma Pre Runner DoubleCab. Tow rating is 6500k. The sole reason we got the Pre Runner version was that was the only way to get the tow package.
    The Niagara GVWR is just shy of 4000 lbs. The Taco's payload is 1600. 2 adults and 15 year old DW, 1 50lb dog. Total weight in cab would be around 550 lbs. Tongue wt is around 500. That leaves me about 550 lbs remaining payload. Most of the "stuff" that goes into the bed of the truck is fairly light weight but bulky (food, clothing, fishing gear) with the exception of the cooler(s). I would say that the total weight in the bed of the truck is 350 lbs or less.
    By pencil math, we are within the tow rating, payload capacity, tongue wt rating, GWVR, and GCWR. I have not weighed this trailer (I would like to) but there isn't a scale within an hour of us, and the one that is, is beyond busy (I-5 just north of Los Angeles)
    In the two years we've had this combo, I have pulled it up and over the Sierra many times. The truck handles the load very well. With that being said, I would not pull anything heavier than this.

In my opinion, this class of vehicle is very capable of doing the job as long as you are aware of your limits, and stay within them.

11. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Be careful here...

Battery, weight of propane, awning (if any) A/C (if any), weight of water in the water heater do not count as part of the "dry weight", and eat into your CCC immediately. On my Niagara, that's 340 pounds right off the bat, without a single pot/pan/flashlight/book/tool/chair/etc.
    While I haven't weighed my trailer, I have weighed everything that goes into it. If I carry the bbq and stove in the trailer (along with all the other permanent gear), and 10 gallons of water in the 20 gallon tank, I have less than 35 lbs of remaining capacity (by the math).
    Since this likely puts me at or over capacity, I usually carry the bbq and stove in the truck, and no water in the fresh water tank. This frees up 120 lbs and likely puts me under GVWR of the trailer.

raising4daughters and jmkay1 like this.
  12. raising4daughters

Almost pulled the trigger on a 12' box with front storage (Flagstaff 823D) today at an outdoor RV show. The dealer had dropped the price to $10,400 for a new unit. It was tempting but then we realized we'd have to add $800 and a few hundred for bike holders to go on the rails, so we figured we were in for $12,000 plus tax.

Instead, we went to a nearby dealer and bought a used Flagstaff Highwall PUP. Even though it's used, it came with everything we wanted including AC and rails and 4 bike racks. Got the counter space of the 823D plus the toilet and shower capable of full hookup. Got a decent price in trade for our Jayco 1007. Dealer is throwing in winter storage for us which gives us time to find a beefier tow vehicle.

Very pleased with our purchase.

1380ken and Rusty2192 like this.
  13. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

The factory bike racks are stupidly priced, the same thing is about $80 on Amazon.