Would my TV/camper need sway bar?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Enigmacamper, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Active Member

We have a 2015 Subaru outback (normal engine, CVT trans) and are hoping to pull a 2017 Aliner Scout (dry weight around 1400lbs).

We did not intend on a weight distribution hitch (have read subaru's can't use them, not sure about that, corporate basically said "we have no recommendation") or an anti sway bar etc. since it's just a popup. However the dealership is pushing the anti-sway bar hard and saying we will almost surely really want it. They use the Curt friction anti-sway bar and want like $190 to install it...how hard would this thing be to install yourself? And do I need one? It adds I think 16lbs to the tongue weight which IS a consideration, but if it added significant safety it would be worth it.

Thanks!

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

It is not always needed, only if the unit sways but if you need to have one wally world has them cheaper. Installation is really easy and $190 is really high. If they are talking about a weight distribution hitch that is a different (also called WDH) and the set up for it is different
    here is wally world URL see what you think and the prices Good Luck and Happy Camping
    https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=rv anti sway bar

3. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  4. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

What is the real World weight of that trailer ?? Dry Weight means nothing, unless your not taking anything along with you (propane, battery, supplies inside the trailer).. use the GVWR of the trailer..

Next as mentioned... you may or may not need a sway bar.. best bet would to see how it tows first. Since a sway bar can mask an issue of improper loading/weight distribution of stuff loaded in the trailer, I would try towing it first, and if you encount slight sway re-adjust how you have things loaded..

6. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

You probably won't need a sway bar. If you do, a Curt is only about 40 bucks. The ball that goes on the tongue bolts on after you drill four holes. The piece that goes in your hitch shank welds on...provided you already don't have a shank with a sway bar ball hole. They are simple to put on.

All friction bars are basically the same. Probably the cheapest on the market is there one Harbor Freight sells....I bought a Curt brand and out on my TT. I have no complaints.

7. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

For over 15,000 miles we towed a 2009 Aliner Sport behind a 2009 Pontiac Vibe. Never used a sway device and never needed one.

I do very highly recommend having brakes on the trailer and a brake controller in the tow vehicle. More important than the sway device in my opinion.

Fbird, pasobuff and shuang2 like this.
  8. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Active Member

My TV is a Kia Minivan with a 3500 pound tow capacity. My 2003 coleman tacoma has a dry weight of about 2450 if i remember correctly. She's a biggun'. I havent towed beyond 30 or 40 miles on the highway yet. The one time i pulled it on the highway it was loaded with all our stuff (propane, fully stocked 150 qt cooler with ice, and general supply. Clothes and a ton of other essentials in the back of the van). When I hit 60 i noticed some sway. Mild but there. I have a prodigy p3 controller in the van. I plan on adding at least a sway control. Necessary? Do i need a true weight distribution on top of it? Also unrelated, where do you go to weigh your trailer/tv?

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Look for the tire info stickers on your trailer or look up your Y/M/M on your manufactures site and see what the GVWR of the trailer is.. I bet you had the vehicle overloaded..

Sway at 60 mph .. Could be loaded stuff in trailer not balanced side to side or for and after.. could be tire pressure couple psi off on one tire, could even be the angle of the tongue to the hitch..

durhamcamper likes this.
  10. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

With a small trailer the tongue weight is critical. Adequate tongue weight will insure there is no sway.

11. Tukee44

Tukee44 Member

My 4Runner towed an Aliner Classic perfectly fine without a sway bar. (Honda Pilot of as well). The only time I felt a little sway is when I did not empty the water tank.

The Outback and a Scout, I would say do not put the sway bar and try it first. Don't forget the Subaru has AWD advantage.

12. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

What Snow say and have been saying for years... the dry weight is WORTHLESS information. it is not for us. probably for freight purposes or whatever!

The most important information we need to know is the GVWR (wet weight or even can be called MAX weight) of your trailer. Mine is 3600 lbs.

I once had my popup swaying. I opened up the popup and saw a microwave rear of the trailer axle. I figured a microwave is heavier than a new package of paperplates so I redistributed the weight and it worked! No more swaying. Since then I always put heavy stuff up front near tongue.... No weight distribution system needed.

13. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I put on a reese anti sway control on for well below 100, I think it was around 60. I used the reese friction controller 83660, a sway ball mount adaptor 26003. You might need a ball with a longer shank. It took me maybe 1 hour. I needed a drill, wrenches and a tape measure. FYI, most campers you don't need a sway controller unless you have the balance off when you load them., but they are cheep insurance.

Check you specs on the subaru. The CVT is not rated for much, maybe 2,700. Once you start loading a camper and your car the weight adds up fast.

Most dry weights of campers does not include propane tanks, battery, AC units or any options from the base unit of the camper model.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  14. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Dry weight is worthless information. look up the GVRW and then go to weight station to find out exact weight with all the stuff (junk) y'all have in popup. If you are over, then you know what to take out the stuff you will NOT use.

Funny thing is that i am almost at 3600 lbs and still have many junk that I do not use!!! I need to get rid of those junk in my popup!