Would this work?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by p, Mar 15, 2016.

1. p

p Active Member

What I have:
    -2005, Rockwood Premiere, 10 foot, model 1907
    -12v marine battery
    -two 40 solar panels
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/home/energy-production-storage/solar-energy-converters/coleman-40w-folding-solar-panel-0112043p.html?popup=true

What I want to do:
    -purchase a...
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Waterproof-Digital-Voltmeter-Battery-Meter-Panel-4-0-30V-0-56-Green-LED-/181455291047?hash=item2a3f9402a7:g:tpIAAOSw9NxTs8vO

Use the 12 v battery readings translated from....
    http://modernsurvivalblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/battery-state-of-charge.jpg

Connect the voltage meter I buy on ebay to my interior converter (some how) and know what my current charge level is after a day in the sun.

Does this make sense?

I am tired of telling the family to..."turn off the lights !"

p.s. Also want to install those interior LED lights into our existing fixtures...I just got to figure our which ones to buy.

(I don't want to put the meter in my battery box or put a hole on the side of it to mount it...I would rather have the meter reading on the inside of the trailer)

2. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

3. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Sure why not?

LED bulbs are available for what you need and 2 watts of solid state LED beats 20 watts of burning fire all day.

I just grabbed any ol 12 volt constant hot in my trailer and cut in the meter. I checked the voltage at my dual 6 volters with my digital meter, then clicked on the new meter I installed. I noticed the voltage drop was about .10 so now when I read my cabinet meter I know to always just add .10 volts to be right on.

Have fun!

[​IMG]

4. p

p Active Member

The two 40 w solar panels were given to me.

Thanks for the idea.

5. Mally

Mally Member

6. p

p Active Member

That is a great design. Thanks for the info.

I am going for the one hole meter idea. I am going to have to "fiddle" behind my converter box to located a hot wire and connect it to that. The converter is on a bench seat. I will then just leave the meter inside the bench and I don't have to drill hole into the paneling.

Now...off to look for LED lights.

7. CalKat

CalKat Member

I don't know the exact design of your camper, but I picked up a hot wire from an access door next to my refrigerator. This panel accessed from outside the camper.

8. p

p Active Member

The only hot points visible are the 3 overhead lights, fridge, and power converter. I don't want to put a hole anywhere so I am going to look to improvise.