Would you camp for just one night??

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by mommicked, May 24, 2009.

1. jjkach

jjkach New Member

We usually camp 2 or more nights. But we have seen campers at the campground come in set up camp that night and start breaking down and pack up the next morning and leaving.

2. camping dad

camping dad New Member

We have four kids and have spent one night away just to get one more night in the pup. Check your local private campgrounds to see if they have special activities on certain weekends. Spending sat night in the pup and packing the next afternoon can be just as fun with the right activities to keep you busy.

3. gkosel

gkosel Fargo, ND (Next Trip - ?)

I think the only way I would do a one nighter would be if it was a stop on a trip for overnight and continuing on to another destination in the morning.

I would just do a basic setup (no awning AAR, etc.)

Otherwise, 2 nights would be my minimum. I have accumulated a bunch of extra vacation for this summer, so plan on taking a lot of 3-day weekends, if I can be spared at work.

4. Gillster

Gillster New Member

I've camped for one night before and would happily do it again. I usually stretch the second day as long as I can but camping is camping and is where I'd prefer to be.

Chris

5. scoutermom

scoutermom New Member

I've camped for one night, and will do so again - though I prefer two or more (who wouldn't?)

However, I will stay in the campground as long as I can stretch it out. When Jon was little, we used to camp at a Christian campground just an hour away. We had a smaller PUP then, and didn't ever tent camp (he was in Cub scouts, and they didn't camp much) so ALL our stuff was already packed in the camper. We'd only need to pack food, clothes and go. We'd go up on Friday after work, and not leave on Sunday until dinner time. If I had to work on Sat morning (I worked for a bank, then) we'd leave after the bank closed at noon, and be up there by 1:30.

Then we got into Boy Scouts, and did more camping with the troop - so we were constantly packing and unpacking stuff from the camper for tent camping.

A few years into scouting, the troop started doing alot of one-nighters - Troops generally try to camp at least once a month. This was due to parents not wanting to rush out after work on Friday nights, and a long-time troop habit of early rising and leaving on the last day of any canmpout. It made the trips really short, hectic and it drove me crazy. To me, it wasn't worth all that effortfor what amounted to less than a 24 hour campout. often they would have the boys pack a sack lunch for Saturday, cook dinner and then be up EARLY, EARLY to pack up, make breakfast and be gone by noon on Sun. I fought the troop on this, and eventually convinced them to go back to more two-nighters - when I figured out that between one-nighters and non-camping overnights, it could take a boy two or three years to earn the requisite nights for his 'Camping' Badge .

So I Will do one-nighters, rather than not camp at all, but try to stretch the time as long as possible.

6. Daduv3Boys

Daduv3Boys American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God!

We have camped for just one night. When we were trying out our new camper, we camped to see if it was something that we were going to like or not. More than likely, we would not just camp for one night for no reason.

7. NatureGirl

NatureGirl New Member

The only way I would camp for one night would be if I booked an extra night so I wouldn't have to be out by noon.

8. grandebob

grandebob New Member

We are going about an hour from home and camping for one night this weekend. Mostly just to test our towing, and our new dog.

I'll let you know if I'de do it again Monday.

9. blw2

blw2 Jacksonville, FL

Have tent camped many times for one night, before and after kids. Since we've had the PUP we haven't but have some one nighters planned throughout the rest of the year.
    While I've often questioned the sanity of it (loading, set-up, unpacking, re-packing & tear down, then unloading and such at home), we keep it to SPs close to home, and it can be fun. Usually try to get to the park as early as we can so we have Saturday afternoon for the beach or whatever, & i usually don't break my neck to get packed in the morning...it's easy enough to get out by checkout (or slip out a little after [;)] We're usually the last to leave....

10. aminyard

aminyard New Member

This thread needs a poll . . . . [:D]

11. Gio

Gio New Member

Hello all

I love to Camp, my Wife love to camp, my kids love to camp,
    so one night [CP] is ok with us.
    Gio

12. Crazy4Camping

Crazy4Camping New Member

I would NEVER camp for just one night in a popup. Too much work, as others have said. We have a 3 night minimum.

13. bobhcs

bobhcs Colorado Springs

We're going to find out what it is like this week. We are going to do two one nighters on the way to/from South Dakota. We are planning to do a full set up in South Dakota and only the minimum on our way.

14. critter

critter Member

We have been out twice with our new2us pop up so far this year and we have an overnighter scheduled for next month as well. It is not ideal but it is nice to get a nice little quick getaway in. We have stayed close to home and we have gone to campgrounds that are more lienient with their check in and check out times. We plan on taking longer trips this summer but with the kids in school and all of their activities we struggle to find more time then a short weekend.

15. grandebob

grandebob New Member

Did an over nighter this weekend. Left around 2:00 PM or so, rolled in about 3:00 or so. In laws joined us for the night too.

Only went about and hour away. Close enough to be convinent, far enough to feel like we went somewhere.

16. STINGRAYLLOYD

STINGRAYLLOYD New Member

[PUC] [TV] [DOG] [8D] [DOG]

ABSOLUTELY!!!! I love to just "get away from everything" now and then for an overnighter. Usually when I camp, I like to go for a couple/few nights though. :)

"Camp Driveway" is a great place to do a "one nighter" too! :)

[PU] [TV] [DOG] [SNZ] [DOG]

17. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

bobhcs said:
    I think this is different than the intent of the original question. You are stopping in a place for a night while on a longer trip. That is what some of us call an overnight stop. I think the original question pertained to a one-night camping trip, i.e., pack up and leave home, set up somewhere and stay the night, and then return home the next day.

18. dcj070454

dcj070454 New Member

I am schedule for a one nighter just 30 minutes from where I live in Ohio with my bro and his son. Very convienient in and out place, private, lake for fishing. Sure go for one night, it is always better than sitting home staring at the PU and wishing you were out there.

19. Albert and Melanie

Albert and Melanie The "pup" Palace

I agree!

20. Jean

Jean New Member

I had to convince dh that 2 nights were OK. He thought 3 nights were a minimum. He is OK with 2 nights now, but I doubt he would do 1 night. I don't think I would either, unless we were on our way somewhere. Although, even then, I would prefer to go somewhere nice and stay 2 nights, rather than a KOA on the road or something.

Jean