Would you camp for just one night??

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by mommicked, May 24, 2009.

1. ehcarmen

ehcarmen New Member

Ds and I do it all the time. Of course, we prefer 2 nights or more, but, the CG is about 15 minutes away, set up takes about an hour (and DS always gets to help), so, this past weekend, we left the house at 2:30 or so, and were relaxing next to the camper by 4 pm.

Every time I take him camping, we make a new memory, something fun or interesting happens, so, I go every chance I get. DD and DW don't camp with us (yet), and life is hectic with social/school/sports activities, so, 2 nights isn't always possible, but, hell yeah, we'll go for a night.

2. zjrog

zjrog Member

After our trip two weeks ago, with the SUV type tent, I can't imagine that setting up the popup wouldn't be much easier or harder. Overnighters? Why not. I still need plates for the trailer, so if we go out this weekend again, it will be with the tent again.

3. sandyaker

sandyaker Rock Hill, SC

Yep! Just did this past weekend.
    We took 11 adults and teenagers with mental disabilities this past weekend. and had a great time.
    Here's a forum thread on it called: "My folks" want me to bring my PUP!
    Scott

4. kimruns

kimruns New Member

We've done it. We only cooked one meal and coffee on the stove, otherwise ate cereal and sandwiches and ate out one meal. We didn't do a shower, only slept on one bed in the pup, and DH did all the set up and break down. One trip to the grocery store on the way out. The campground is only about an hour away.

Oh, we don't use the water in the pup, DH was done breaking down the pup at the house in an hour.

The only terrible part is all the laundry I'm doing right now:)

imo, totally worth it bc if we hadn't been camping, I'd have been doing chores at the house.

5. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

Only time we camp for one night is when we travel and don't want to set up and tear down just for one night. I get a hotel room, flip the fridge on propane for the night and lock it up, then switch over to TV power for the rest of the trip until we reach our extended camping spot.

JJ

6. Csea

Csea New Member

Done it.

Got set up by 4pm,
    Kicked out the campsite by 5.
    And not our faults.
    Now im going to explain that, A few of us were camping and one of the girls dad was (unknown at the time) at the campgrounds (different site). One of the girls dad brought his drunk friends over. Now were all between the ages of 16-18. So we went to the office and complained because they were uninvited... but nothing happened While we were off doing stuff (my and my gf at beach, 2 guys were getting wood) The drunks were starting fights with people basically and when we arrived back at the campsite we were told WE had to leave immediatly and had 10 minutes to pack up.

So an hour to set up 10 minutes to take down. over 100 bucks wasted.

7. tntom

tntom Member

With all the stuff to do at home on weekends, we sometimes camp for one night. That gets us out in the woods and still allows for some time to take care of those chores at home.

8. KC

KC Valdosta, GA

we absolutely do one-nighters! our hunting lease is about 30 minutes outside of town and we often pull our pup out there and boondock overnight. i love that extra half hour of sleep before getting in the deer stand...

9. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

We haven't camped for just one night yet, but who knows? We might just do that this spring/summer now that things are getting fixed and we're enjoying it much better.

10. outdoorsnga

outdoorsnga Marietta, Georgia USA

two - one niters so far...its pretty easy to set up and take down and any chance to get out of the hustle of the big city we get....and check out time at campground is I believe 3pm so we dont have to jump right up in morning and leave.....we even camp and commute to work sometime...biggest problem then is the gate doesnt open till 7am and we are use to leaving at 630am but like the extra few minutes sleep...

to ehcarmen...thats the right attitude, when our son was growing up when we told him we were going to do something, camp, fish, hike whatever we did it rain or shine...one of our greatest memories is hiking in the rain with full raingear and seeing a bunch of deer close up that if we had stayed at home we would not have seen...

11. lenparsons

lenparsons New Member

[PU] My husband and I go camping for one night all the time. We take our camper about 30 miles to a campground. We keep our camper stocked with the basic stuff we use so that when we go it does'nt take long to get ready to go. Nelda from Tennessee

12. ataijar4

ataijar4 New Member

We also have a couple close places. DW & I agree that anything beyond 30 miles is a little too far but get there by noon & you still have some time away.

13. erich0521

erich0521 New Member

Most of the trips my DS and I take are just for 1 night. Funny, it seems we are either 1 nighters or a weeklong or longer on a family vacation.

14. Mountainbikecop

Mountainbikecop Death Smiles At Everyone -- Marines Smile Back"

When DW stated she wanted to start camping I sais great. Been years since I had camped so I started digging out gear. Found I had loaned it out. But to who. So off to Wally World. DW said I got carried away. Then everytime we went to twn she would find something and say HEY this would be good camping. The first time out it rained we had a very small tent, She would fall into the tent and had to be hepled out. I thought great this will be her last time. Next weekend she said let's go camping. I found another tent cabin style. We been doing it since 1 day 2 days she loves it at long as I d the cooking which I love to do. When we got the pup it's been the samething. So camping is camping any amount of days is fine

15. popsurfin

popsurfin [VA] [USA]

I've done a range of one-nighters. The last one was at Disney's Fort Wilderness. We got there a little later than expected and missed the campfire movie, but we got in the pool, had some late night snacks. In the morning we had breakfast at one of the resorts and hung around Downtown Disney for the afternoon. Mind you, we were living only an hour and fifteen minutes away.

Another was a beach trip 3 hrs away; we drove over after my wife got off work. I was able to get up just before dawn and go surf, come back with coffee and donuts, and then hang/picnic at the beach with the fam for the rest of the day.

Another time was for a few winks at a Kansas WalMart parking lot. We were on the long road home from CO. I think we popped up at around 4am. What's funny is...the next night we spent the money for a seemingly decent hotel and it was awful. Hard beds, stinky room.

The common thread here was that it was all purpose driven. AND we don't cook on an overnighter.

16. Csea

Csea New Member

in some sense camping is our "crack" and not everyone due to circumstances might only get out for one night...

17. EHirning

EHirning New Member

Seems like a lot of work for one night.

We have a son with Autism and thought 2 nights would be tough. He loved it and asks when the next trip is. You never know, these kids can surprise us sometimes!

18. TwistedElvis

TwistedElvis New Member

Yes I would and yes I did knowing it was going to rain last weekend......And I had a good time too....

19. Rosey

Rosey New Member

For me personally, 1 night is better than no nights. I would rather do 2 nights if possible

20. Carefree Camper

Carefree Camper Bucks County, PA

I would only camp for one night if it were for the beds only. (When the regular hotels fill up, and none are available.) It is WAY WAY WAY too much work to set up and break down for one nighters, WITH YOUNG CHILDREN. And if your trip gets messy with continuous rain before during and after the trip (like in the NE US), the cleanup can take up to 4-5 days even a week after the camp trip to dry out gear, camper, and tents/picnic table shelter. Part of the enjoyment for me is to set up a nice campsite with camp cooking complete with special foods over the campfire and charcoal.

If you didn't have young kids, it wouldn't be too difficult, however. You could just take off. For one nighters with kids, between potty mishaps, mud, kid food and junk food, it just adds to the pressure. Camping should be a pleasurable experience. We go cabin camping when we don't have as much time to prepare, especially in cool weather, or if the camper is not packed up and ready to go.