Would you camp without a Heater?

Discussion in 'Cold Weather Camping' started by Matt O, Nov 30, 2010.

In the fall with a little chill in the air or even dead of winter 0 degrees outside, would you enjoy

1. Yes, with good sleeping bags

38.7%
  2. Yes, It will put another notch in my "man card"

5.3%
  3. No, I have to be in a "room" that is at least 60 all night long

12.0%
  4. I could survive but I wouldn't like it.

34.7%
  5. I don't camp in the cold, I'm a fair weather camper

9.3%
  1. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

There are many new topics popping up [LOL] about camping in the cold and staying warm, reflectix, Mr. Buddy's, etc.

I started camping with the Boy Scouts at an early age and we camped Fall, Winter, and Spring. I have many memories about sleeping in tents or leantos (3 sided building) in the winter and waking up to a new snowfall or the water jugs being frozen solid. We all had 0 degree mummy bags. and stayed warm while sleeping.

Must you absolutely have a heater going while you camp? Or is there anyone out there who would camp in the cold without heat? I know it is nice, and I have a furnace and a Mr. Buddy heater, but if I camp without DW I would use it more to heat up the pup before bed or in the morning. I could also survive without heat and enjoy it. [:)C]

2. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Been there and done that and have no desire to repeat same. I've had to sleep in one of those G.I. down filled sleeping bags, on the ground, rolled up enogh in a piece of canvas so that part of it was underneath and some to cover me to keep the snow off. No more of that business for me in this lifetime anyway.

3. Twisty

Twisty New Member

"I don't camp in the cold, I'm a fair weather camper"
    It snowed on Aug 28th at Crater Lake! So much for my fair weather approach!!
    I bought the Pup to enjoy some comfort while camping and enjoy it I do.
    I agree with Fly, "No more of that business for me in this lifetime anyway."

4. apachejeep

apachejeep New Member

Nah, don't have to have a heater, but then again live in central California.
    But then, as with a previous post, always have plenty of firewood. [CF] [CF]
    Makes for comfy campsites, and is'nt that why we camp.

5. Matt O

I agree, I have the popup for the comfort factor. Lights, seats, comfy bed, and the heat is nice, but if it wasn't there, I wouldn't even think about it. I would just make sure I grabbed my mummy bag instead of my regular sleeping bag.

It will be interesting when DS, who is 1, gets into Scouting and I have to go back to sleeping on the ground.

6. wolfcat1

wolfcat1 New Member

No, you get outta that 0 degree sleeping bag it is still darn cold

7. drosengrant

drosengrant One Day at a Time

I am going this weekend and daytime time temps mid 40's and night time mid 20's. I like the heat but use to camp in a tent without it in the same temps. With age comes wisdom [:D]

8. Matt O

Wolfcat - Thats when you learn to get dressed in your sleeping bag and you stay there until someone else gets the coffee or hot chocolate started [:>(]

9. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

We sleep in my hunting cabin without heat so we will be acclimated to the cold when we head out in the morning. Temps often are down in the teens.

10. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I intensely dislike cold and snow. I certainly would never seek it out so there is no way I'd plan to camp in the cold without a heater. Sometimes, however, weather changes unexpectedly and you have to deal with it. I'll use everything in the PUP, including the furnace, to stay as warm as I need. Several years ago at Yellowstone I was tent camping and hit a stretch of nights in the 20-25 range. It was awful and was one of the things that motivated me to get a PUP.

11. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

We use the furnance mostly in the evening for comfort. If battery is low, we switch to Mr Heater. Otherwise, we turn them off while sleeping either due to noise or safety. With a good comforter, we have stayed warm to around 36 degrees. Have not attempted to go lower. Maybe with an electric heater. Instead, we drive 6 hours to Quartzsite, AZ (however, not a good weekeng trip due to travel time), which is about 15 degrees warmer and generally stays above freezing.

12. 14erfam

14erfam Member

We always pack our gear as if we had no heat. That way if something goes wrong with the furnace, etc. we're still okay. I do enjoy the furnace however!

13. cheyo

cheyo New Member

so is that WITH or WITHOUT my satellite TV? [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

14. Carlb

Carlb Carl & Dawn

I have gone on both extremes in the military. Once I had a guy in my unit (in Germany) who transfered from Alaska, and he hated the cold so much that he maintained and operated the yukon heater for his side of the tent. He refused to get up in the morning until he had at least one stove pipe glowing orange. And I have slept in a mummy bag where I woke up with ice on the outside of it... Living in FL now, my blood has thinned out a lot.

15. BZLuck

BZLuck New Member

Me? Sure. Once did a week long desert winter camp trip, under a lowered EZ-UP because a tent pole broke while setting it up. Would I do it again? Not if I had the choice, but I certainly could.

The DW? No way. She'd drive to the nearest hotel if it was under 50 in the camper. I guess that's why we got one with a heater...

16. GetOutSide

GetOutSide Let's go get lost...

At 46 I can't sleep on the ground in the cold anymore, one of the reasons for the PUP. I'm okay with a good bag and a big dog, but the rest of the family will bitch all night.

But I gotta say that turning that furnace on in the morning at 17F: priceless. [8D]

17. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    I have tented in the snow on the ground. I don't like it, but I can survive. A bad day camping beats a good day working any day.

18. Matt O

Cheyo, Yes, you can bring your Satellite television :)

19. Steve A

Steve A A bad day camping beats a great day at work!

It's better to take a heater and not need it than to wish you had one.

20. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Your post reminded me of a camp/fishing trip made a few years back in the early spring, maybe late April or early May. Traveled alone towing the pup but was meeting up with a couple other fisherman who were also towing their campers and we were meeting at a national forest C/G to set-up shop . Enroute I stopped at a greasy spoon for a lunch and I believe I ate something that did not agree with me ... I got sick. Was I ever glad to have a snug, warm place to hole up in! Nothing worse than being physically and distressed many miles from home!