would you do this?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by jthomas124169, May 19, 2011.

1. jthomas124169

jthomas124169 Member

Tonight when I got home, er back to my pup from work I found that some one had set up camp right next to me, about 20 feet away. Now during peak camping season when the parks are full its fine. This campground has 150 sites and only 3 campers, why not spread out a bit?

2. mommabear

mommabear New Member

maybe their afraid of being alone in the wilderness...or...hoping you have wifi.....hmm... good question!

3. FC

FC Central Florida

It would be time to have a chat with my fellow camper. [V]

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

No, I would never set up right next to someone else when the CG is mostly empty.

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

That's really obnoxious! [:(!] I've had people do that in the past and never could figure out why.

6. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

I had this happen at least once. They probably feel more comfortable being close to others. Later, more campers showed up and filled the CG more, so it was a short term issue.

7. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

I would never set up right next to another camper in a mostly empty campground. I always try to get as much separation and privacy as possible. In your situation, I would probably ask them why they set up right next to another camper. As stated earlier, they might just feel more secure near someone else.
    P.S. Welcome back.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Maybe it is just their favorite site, for any number of reasons - proximity to restrooms, direction the site faces, or the like.

We would not be likely to do that, since we too prefer to not be crowded, and have our preferences for location of our site. When we are ground tenting, having a level area for our large tent can be a factor in which site we end up in. Our pup is small, so that is not as much of a factor in choice of sites.

9. jthomas124169

jthomas124169 Member

It doesn't really bother me, because I'm at work all day and go home on my days off. There are plenty of good level sites here, I would have at least set up a few sites away.

10. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

We had a a poor gal , pull into our boondock site one night around ten , and she started setting up a tent under her headlights . I waited with my jaw dropped open because this was a one spot site , and she was pitching her tent right in the driveway .
    Finally I walked over and spoke with her , she was alone with 2 little ones and I explained to her what she was about to do , she apologized , was lost and frazzled and tired she had seen our lights and hoped for a campground . I had her follow me to another site not very far away , helped her set up and never saw her again . Sometimes you just don't know what people are thinking .

11. NHDalton

NHDalton I camp, therefore I am

I would never do that. I'd set up for privacy - both for myself and my fellow campers. Of course, they could have parked there hoping that if the monsters came, that they would go for you first. [:D]

12. brucea

brucea Member

I would have never done that. You should have been given your space.

Bruce

13. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

I could only think that maybe it was their favorite spot, for whatever reason. We have done that once before, but we expected the campground would be full before the day was over and it was so.... not much of an issue. Maybe they won't stay long.

14. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

We would only do that if the CG took reservations by site, and the site next to you was our reserved site. But even then, I probably would have gone back to the office to try for another site. We like our space.

15. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

I rarely 'wing' it. I like to reserve, nothing worse than making plans and not having a site when you arrive. So, maybe being by the lavatories, hookups, whatever is why they chose that site and they did it before they arrived.
    I agree it's annoying. But I also enjoy nice camper neighbors when camping too.

16. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

We had that happen at a local state park last fall.

We camped with some friends and turned our pups to face each other and used one camp fire (love that about pups, turn them by hand if you want). We arrived on a Thursday evening and I had to work Friday. No one else in our loop that night, 123 sites.

Came back from work and found two "neighbors" one right beside us and one across from us??? Two others were across the way about 7 sites away from each other.

I have to admit, it baffled me why camp on top of each other? Not much one can do but ask. I didn't ask though I figured whats the point, it's not like they will get up and move.

17. azav8ter

azav8ter New Member

I just wanted to say how nice it was of you to help like that. I could only imagine how frazzled she was especially with 2 little ones.

18. Bonniy

Bonniy arizona bred and born

no, would never park close to another if there were empty sites available, because of medical reasons, we have to use a generator at night and try to find the site as far away from everyone else as possible, we always explain to the host about the generator and always ask for as secluded site as possible, we've gone the battery way but would need a new battery every nignt and thats just not possible because of cost as well as weight

19. regis101

regis101 New Member

It's almost the same thing as when you park your car in far end of the parking lot. Upon returning, you're surrounded and probably got another door ding.

20. jthomas124169

jthomas124169 Member

Well if the monsters came I'd be of no help, cause I'm always the 1st one under the bed [:D]