Would you host a non-camping family to convert them to a camping family??

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Haybale, Apr 23, 2014.

Would you want to host a family?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Maybe

13 vote(s)
    28.9%
  1. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Since the thread "PopUpPortal non-profit fund for campers with Special Needs" http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=81155.0, was started (thanks to the wonderful people that got that going!! [8D]) I had an idea to get more families camping. The initial costs to camp even for 1 night adds up pretty quick (tent/sleeping bags/cooler/cookware/lantern/flashlights/chairs) especially if you have never been camping and have no gear. It would be terrible if the family or kids did not cope well due to a change in schedule and such and now have spent $$ on camping gear.

My son has Down Syndrome (DS) and is quite flexible as far as going camping and road trips :), he is not a runner nor escape artist, I know many kids in the DS community with sensory issues that would not handle the change from their own bed to a tent/camper on the occasional weekend. But how would you know if you did not try? Patrick loves to camp and be outdoors, I see his little mind work so much harder to figure things out while being away from home, I just absolutely love watching him learn something new [RTM], especially when he remembers something from months back [:)C]!! Here is where my idea comes into play.

If anyone that wants to host a 'new' family for a part day, such as 3-8pm, to let the family come out and try an afternoon of camping and maybe hot dogs and s'mores over the fire. This would be a very low cost way (s'more kit, hotdogs/buns/condiments/stick) for new families to see if their kiddo's are able to handle the changes camping brings. [CP]

I would love to have a local family bring their kids out for a day and if it goes well then they can bite the bullet and buy camping gear. I would even go as far as letting a family use my tent and kind of co-camp to try it for a night or two. [CP]

I do not have the answers as to how to get these 2 groups of people together (the new families and the Pup-Hosts) but that is something else behind this post.

This is a volunteer only basis, when you want and not your every camping trip unless that is what you want. [;)]

2. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

It's a great idea, and DW and I have talked about this very subject since our son has autism, and some friends of ours also have a son with autism. They've talked about trying camping, and we've discussed inviting them along for a one-nighter at our local state park. They could even use our tent. We haven't gotten past the talking stages yet, though. Their son has many more issues than ours, such as seizures, and a severe gag reflex. He's 4, and they have to blend everything in a blender and he only drinks liquid drinks. No solid food at all.

We need to still invite them, though. Who knows, their son might do pretty well. Our son absolutely loves the outdoors and going camping. As long as we camp in wooded areas without wide open spaces, he does pretty well.

But yes, we would probably consider being a host family for a special needs kid (and his/her family) to go camping, or at least spend a little time with us at a CG.

3. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

The first question on "converting" I think is done through exposure which is exactly what you are proposing.
    Definitely, looking at how we can incorporate this concept into the application for a grant, so you can become
    a "Specialized Camping Advocate" (SCA)! [CP]

4. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Some state parks have a program that they have basics for new campers to use.

I have on several times taken non-camping families camping with us. This was many years ago. They never became campers. I think if you don't drive and love of camping your not going to be converted.

5. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Good Luck with your endeavor as it sounds like a fantastic idea. I think if more people took the time to do little things like this for others our world would be a much better place. As my kids are getting a little older and will be in 1st grade next year I've been thinking about the timing of starting to ask their friends along that may not get the opportunity. Why not invite their parents along and volunteer my old tent as well to start a whole family activity for them?

As ChocoChock stated I could see a small grant for a project like this great idea turning into a very successful N-F-P if you choose to take it that far. This just feels like one of those stories where you could hook up with a professional sports figure in your area who is an avid outdoorsman or a sporting goods store that would see this as a fantastic opportunity for community involvement and take your idea to the next level if it already had some traction.

6. ChocoChock01

The N-F-P is now up and running, and we are accepting applications. The funds will be limited until we can get the word out that small amounts will go to help out our fellow campers. I believe this truly adds another dimension of social value to this site.

7. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

it would depend on "the family".
    if they are well groomed, polite, and well-behaved...perhaps.

8. Haybale

All good information!!

Being a host could be as simple as an hour or two with a family around a campfire!!

Thanks for the replies!!

9. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

Awesome info here! We take extra kids camping all the time. Kids who's families do not camp... but some of these kids will definitely be campers when they grow up... they ask every year if they can come back!
    We do have our old tent gear and often use it when camper is full!

10. Haybale

That is awesome!! And that is a great thing to do in this busy world, those kids will remember those trips forever!!!!

Camping is more than just a fire, a bed away from a building, but memories and quality time!!!

11. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I like this idea especially with families who have differences of abilities. As camping gear can be so expensive. However after trying to camp with a friend who never went camping before the experience was down right exhausting. The constant complaints and what killed me the worst when she couldn't sleep she made sure everyone around her didn't either. This was with another grown up which I would have thought would know better and who volunteered to come in the first place. This experience put a huge hole in our friendship. I would have no problem loaning a cheap ground tent and other gear to anyone but probably won't be able to share the experience with someone new again. Just my two cents going from my experience.

Orchid likes this.
  12. Haybale

I to can understand that, and that makes a very good point. That is why an afternoon/evening could prevent a horrible night. Maybe maybe not. All experiences are welcomed!!

13. jwrober

jwrober Member

I have not had the opportunity to host a family with special needs, but I have certainly hosted tons of city slickers who had no idea what they were missing and converted them. Its a blast.

14. Haybale

Since joining the Navy I have been exposed to a lot of city slickers!! Lol

15. Haybale

Thanks for the replies and votes!

16. CaliforniaPoppy

CaliforniaPoppy California and beyond!

This is slightly different, but I wanted to point out that California State Parks has a great program that non-profits can use to help introduce camping to those who might not otherwise have the opportunity. The FamCamp program provide the gear.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=24915

Those interested in helping a program like this can get their Outdoor Recreation Leadership certification and offer to attend group outings, since a certified camper is required for every event.

17. Haybale

That is awesome!!!

18. Kutseena

Kutseena Running with the wolves

:) As a teacher I take 20 plus families every spring camping in and effort to encourage them to take their children outdoors and detach from electronics. So far I have a pretty good success rate.

19. ChocoChock01

Would you be interested in meeting w some of them at Bluewater Lake SP June 27-29th?

20. MichelleMS

MichelleMS Member

This is a fantastic idea!