Would you host a non-camping family to convert them to a camping family??

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Haybale, Apr 23, 2014.

Would you want to host a family?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Maybe

13 vote(s)
    28.9%
  1. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Anyone else?

Thanks for the input/replies folks!

2. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Haybale:

Are those who are joining you at 2014 California Halloween Rally NEW to camping?

ChocoChock01

3. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Thank you this link!!

The PopUpPortal N-F-P Fund for Campers w Special Needs was established w the intent to assist w camping expenses AND because the camping experience can be very therapeutic!

As Haybale has explained that different environments can trigger unfavorable reactions if not done in a gradual and comfortable manner.

How much more natural can a therapy be than getting close to nature!

4. Haybale

No not new to camping, I have not had any luck convincing any new families to give it a try, I have asked many people!

5. Ktamsor2

Ktamsor2 That which doesn't kill me..........should run.

How about not just camping but survival skills? I'm in the Austin, Texas area.

6. Haybale

Just bringing this back up!!

7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I voted "maybe" on the poll. However, that was before I read the post and I misunderstood the question.
    Having read the actual post, I would have to change my answer to "yes."

About 20 years ago, I invited a non-camping family to go for a weekend with us. It was such a nightmare, that I ended up leaving the first night. That has changed my attitude about ever inviting anyone to participate since then.

But just for an afternoon and evening at the campground and fire, that would be okay. I have taken many kids with us over the years, that have never camped before. All friends of my kids when they were growing up and they took their ques from us and everything was always fine. It's obnoxious adults I have a problem with.

Anyway, not only would I love to do this for an interested family, but if they enjoyed it and wanted to start camping, I would likely set them up with quite a bit of equipment.

Haybale likes this.
  8. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

We have backyard open-fires and campouts several times each summer. Kids usually invite a friend or two, and sometimes is for birthdays so parents and siblings are allowed. Not knowing most of these people (except for my kids' friends), I never know what to expect. Doing something like this for a few hours is a good way to meet new people and share common interests, but its also a quick way to gauge them for future activities. I know that after one or two of these events has led to never inviting certain people back to my house. A few hours is far easier to stomach than several days time in the woods where you can't really escape negative personality traits and bad habits.

Haybale likes this.