Would you if you could?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Goforit, Jun 29, 2020 at 6:26 PM.

1. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

You I can debunk most of your cons wrench.. lol.. ultimately it is a personal preference.. as well as where you want to go and how you vacation in general.. Typically we camp, aside from 6 to 8 times in the past 24 years, where we flew... and I can fly cheaper then gas would cost to drive..

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

No. Several reasons:
    1. Pup is paid off.
    2. I can store in my garage.
    3. Easy to tow. Forget it is even back there sometimes.
    4. Like my 10 yr old said. A TT isn't camping.
    5. Like #4. With the windows unzipped it feels open like tent camping, but with a
    much nicer bed.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  3. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

well, there are all kinds of campers to fit just about anybody's taste and camping style. What worked for you at one stage of your life may not be ideal in another stage, so you move on. We have already moved from tenting to the popup and now to a hybrid. There may be a time when that may change again and we will have to find something else if we want to continue camping.

4. Goforit

Goforit New Member

For me it's about what is enjoyable. I started with tents when my children were young. I have many fond memories of those times. As I aged, and the kids grew up and left home, I went for a more comfortable solution to camping. So a Class C became my new camper. Once again wonderful memories are tied to that Class C. The need for comfort rose its head though. A 5th wheel was purchased, it was the ultimate in comfort. We even became full timers. Still, I missed tent camping, so I bought a motorcycle camper while full timing In the 5th. Had a wonderful time traveling with family on the bike and camping in the MC camper.

Life moves forward and sometimes so do relationships. It finally became time to sell the 5th. I knew I couldn't give up camping, so that same week I sold my 5th I bought the pup. Even though I have yet to camp in the pup, I am looking forward to that time. So would I trade the pup for a TT? I would have to say "no". Camping is more about friends, family and good times for me. I think the pup is the easiest way to achieve that, in this time of my life.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Figuring out which form of camping is best at any given point in life is important. I've loved backpacking, ground tenting, popup camping, and now camping in the travel trailer. (Hideous weather is easiest in the TT, though - we've had a tent blown apart in a micro-burst, and wind so bad it was snowing into our pup, still not great in the TT, but the micro-burst last Thanksgiving was less hideous in the TT.)
    Would we switch to a huge RV or 5th wheel? No, just not our style, nor could we store one at home, but for those who enjoy it, fine. We still camp - yes, even in the 17' TT we are camping, albeit with on-board fresh water and water tanks, flush toilet, HWT, which neither pup had. This year, being able to be self-contained is turning out to be a much handier option than we would have ever thought. We can spend as much time outside as we ever did in the pups, we just have a more sheltered inside space - the TT extended our camping season, so that's handy. Yes, we've sized ourselves out of a few campsites, but we are still using some of the same ones that we have for 20+ years, from tents on through the TT. Once in a while, we end up in a campground or site that would not be possible with a tent, or as enjoyable in a pup, usually as an overnight stop between more remote places. That's actually an advantage, most of the time, since we now can use those campgrounds instead of driving longer days, etc.
    Camping is partially a state of mine. I can't easily camp in a tent or popup anymore, at 65, I know my creaky joints won't improve. Getting out into nature is the goal, I'm still doing that.

HappyTraveler and Rik Peery like this.
  6. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

.....wouldn't it be cool tho, to be that 'almost 80' year old arriving at the campground in a pop up?? I want to hang in there with my pop up and be that person!!

Does any one know of anyone who is almost 80 and didn't go to the dark side?

7. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Before Dad passed away 14 years ago at 77, he'd use a tent, never had/used a pop up, much less a TT lol; Mom, also deceased, went up until she was around 60 or so, then told him no mas...

jonkquil likes this.
  8. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

i would imagine there are. I saw Earl Schaffer on the hiking on the Appalachian Trail, he had been one of (if not the first) through hiker back in 1948 - he was was through hiking in 1998 at just about 80 years old.

9. athread678

athread678 Member

We did and we regret it. For us, it meant more trouble to store, more wear & tear on the TV and it just wasn't worth it in the end. We ended up selling it and are back in the market for a PUP.

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I think one of the best things, now at least , is being able to pull off the highway and use the bathroom. My last trip , we stoped for my daughter but the restrooms were closed due to covid. So , we got relief. Pups are great also, less weight, if thats an issue for you. Easier to store. I was thinking of the best stuff in the pup, i liked the tenting, but not the musty smell. I liked the windows, but not the bugs that snuck under the bunk ends. I like the easy of towing it. Other then that , the TT is so much better. Its all what it is for you. I split the time in resort campsites and more rustic places. Its a nice ballance for the kido and me. So sometimes its just a mobile hotel room for us. When i went to disney, it was great to be able to just pull in , nuke something out of the freezer, go to sleep and pull out in the am for the rest of the journey. I could never do that it the pup. It would be , set up perfectly, move the stuff off the floor so we could enter the pup, make the beds ( i couldn't leave them made up) , then cook something. And reverse the process. The TT gives you the options of going further in less time, if thats your thing.

kitphantom likes this.
  11. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Same here. I love my pup, and I enjoy the challenge of pushing it to the limits of what pup camping really is. Unfortunately all those mods and extra gear adds time and frustration, especially if you are in a hurry. We travel to see other places, so ideally the pup would be a mobile hotel room. However - we have never once rolled into a hotel before 10pm on a road trip, and often were on the phone looking for a place en route - you can't do that as easily when you need to find a campground, and in an emergency the pup is not a solution for a Walmart overnight. Ideally I would have both, the pup for solo camping, and a TT/HTT for family use, but I strongly suspect that once I try it with a TT, I won't go back. Give me a generator to run the A/C and I will drive anywhere!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. PA-Scott

PA-Scott Active Member

If my TV could tow it, even up dollar for dollar, ABSOLUTELY!
    Dose that mean I don't like my PUP, heck no. I love it and loved the first one we had. Also loved the ultra lite TT we had, as well as the 5th wheel and large TT. What's the difference between them, well it's all perspective and what's work to one isn't so much to another. When our kids were small and we stepped up to the 5th wheel it was better equipped than our house (central air and surround sound), so was it not camping? Sure it was, it was what I called Camping Comfortably. Sure it wasn't in a tent on the ground, but then neither is a PUP. But for my wife having an inside toilet and shower was great. I have always used campground shower houses but she's more comfortable with her own, not to mention multiple trips to the can a night. The hardest thing for me with a PUP right now is cranking it up, guess I'm getting older. Wish there was an after market electronic lift with limit switches so it would open and stop on it's own.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

We sold out pup in 2015 and bought a TT. We made great memories in the pup, but the TT has done so much to improve our camping. Last year we spent a full month in the TT, and I could never see us doing that in the pup.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@jonkquil We long expected to be the 80 or 90 year olds in a tent, then maybe the old people in the popup. Reality turned into something different, though I wouldn't be surprised to see my husband still backpacking into his 80s and 90s, barring accident or illness. I encourage him to do as much as he can, for as long as he can, because we don't know what life holds in store for us. These days, he admits having the TT as base camp is really nice, though.

Ductape and Sjm9911 like this.
  15. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

We had an original american clipper owner (aka she and her husband bought their clipper new in the 70's) who had sold her clipper but still attended the rallies. If there was a hotel/motel nearby she would stay there. At one rally site, she'd bring her tent, air mattress, and everything else she'd need and set up camp. She stopped at age 92.

jonkquil likes this.
  16. Toedtoes

Both my clipper and my FnR have windows that open and can be looked out while in bed. With the FnR, the front facing window is tilted up towards the sky so you can see the rain falling above you, or the wildlife in the trees. The clipper has an escape hatch over the bed and I have een known to open it and stare at the stars while in bed.

Windows are a big deal for me - I won't buy something I can't see out of, or open for a breeze.

17. Toedtoes

That's one thing I love about the clipper. One trip, I was just five minutes out from the campground when I got stopped by maintenance. They had opened a huge trench in the dirt road and were finishing up replacing the run off pipe. I had to wait for them to close up the trench. I said "no problem!" Put the clipper in park, slid back tpthe bathroom, did my thing, washed up, grabbed a drink out of the fridge, and was back in the driver seat ready to go when they gave the all clear.

Another time, I was on a two lane highway and there was major construction going on. I got stopped and the overhead sign showed I'd be there for 5 minutes. I parked the clipper, used the bathroom, moved a few things around and was back in the driver seat in time to head out with mt side of the traffic.

With the FnR, that's much more difficult to do and I have to raise the roof at least partially.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  18. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

Made the switch and wont go back. For us the TT just works so much better and we enjoy camping a lot more. We also like that we can stop and use the restroom as needed with the TT. Like I said it just works better for us all around.

Ductape and Sjm9911 like this.
  19. slowcarfast

slowcarfast Member

I'm a pretty recent convert from tent camping. For me, key concerns were: I can keep my pup in the garage, I can tow it without an update to my tow vehicle, better mpg and greater access to remote sites towing a smaller pup vs a travel trailer.

20. maryloucb

maryloucb Member

Nope. Fully agree with you, slowcarfast. We are converts from having a Volkswagen Westfalia, which we loved, but was too needy for us. We love how easy the pup is to tow with our truck, we love all the space and light and air in the pup, we also camp at remote sites with burly roads that require clearance, and it's really not that much work to set up the pup. I, personally, would not want any kind of camper with a bathroom in it. That grosses me out. But I'm used to backpacking and going outside in the woods.