Would you let your wife take the popup?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by theraceshop, Mar 14, 2011.

1. keven

keven New Member

I wouldn't have a problem with DW taking it camping.. Almost all are short distance trip she take the pop with her and even sets t completely up by herself.. The only reason she does it all on short distance trips means I am working some of the trip so we take 2 trucks..

2. capy235co

capy235co Member

I think someone pushed a hot button here.

If my wife wanted to go she would certainly be able to do it. I would offer to run thru the set up with her to be sure she remembers and even invite her friend over to take part in the set up. Doing the set up is all part of camping and I know she would want to be self sufficient.

There are no helpless females in my family.

3. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

I would rather have my wife stab me in the eye than "LET" her tow the PUP .
    I would however be glad to tow it & set it up for her. [:D]

4. br9

br9 Member

I would not hesitate to let wife take it. She has towed and backed and set up just as often as I have. Same goes for the tt we have now.

5. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

There's not a thing related to driving, backing, or setting up a popup that any woman, unless they have certain physical disabilities, can't do as well as a man. If my gal wanted to take the camper by herself, I know she'd do fine.

6. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

Thanks, that is what I hoped you were saying. I didn't mean to be rude only to defend my fellow women kind. LOL

7. Beth

Beth Member

you are catching some slack here...but i think, like was mentioned, it's mostly because of the wording of the subject line.
    i've done this before (taken the pup and spent a night camping with the girls. i towed it there, but was't very good at backing it then, so a guy friend of ours backed it in for me.)
    i have since mastered that backing up part for the most part.
    i would LOVE to have dh set it up for me---but, since i'm the only one of us that has set it up--i'd have to follow him to a guy campout and set it up for him!
    i definitely think the dh in my house is spoiled!! lol!!

beth

8. zuley

zuley New Member

The only concern I would have with my wife on her own is what would happen in the event of a blow out on route? God knows she would not know where to begin to change a tire. Having said that... I don't stitch people back up and she doesn't work on our vehicles. Flash a little skin and hope that someone would stop and help her perhaps? :)

9. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

Yabbut......

While I understand the intent of the OP was not at all sexist and related to his wife and not all wives....

...I will say this.

If you are going to be driving out in the country, learning how to change a tire is a very good thing. Sure you could call AAA. But when my kids start asking to borrow the car in a couple of years, I will make sure they know how to do it.

10. zuley

zuley New Member

Wasn't my intent to be sexist if that is how it was taken. Just making light of a potential problem that I know my wife would not know how to deal with.

11. wardog

wardog Member

I have taken the pup out a couple of times without my DH. Once just me and my DD and friend and the other with my DS and friends. I have become pretty good at towing the pup as well as setting it up. DH at first was more concerned about our safety but has since relaxed some on that. He has offered to go with me to help set up and return if needed to help take down. So far I have not had him do this yet but glad I could ask him if I needed. I would love to go hang out with my girlfriends for a weekend and have everything set up for me.

Your a great guy for wanting to do that for her. She will love it.

As for the tire blow out. I agree everyone should know how to do it. I was taught by my Dad when I started driving and have had to change my own tire a few times. I have invested in AAA now but would still change the tire if I had to.

12. FSHNFOOL76

FSHNFOOL76 New Member

My wife doesn't like to tow the trailer on smaller (narrow) roads and she hasn't wanted to back it up either.

I am taking the pup out to a local CG for her next month for a 'girls weekend' and then picking it up. I'll set up the pup and she and the girls will set up the rest of camp. The CG is only about 20 minutes away, so it's not a big deal.

13. momule

momule New Member

Around my house the question would never dare be uttered. My gal is easily as capable as I am in every aspect of using our pup and as far as security goes, I feel sorry for anyone that wanted to try to rain on her parade. She's the one of the two of us with a concealed carry permit. She likes having me around for my compliments, company, and because I don't let her do the heavy lifting if I beat her to it.

If she accidently reads this thread she'll be stalking around alternately laughing her butt off and making snarky comments about men in general. She's pretty cute either way but please don't get her started...

14. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Without hesitation! She would need a crash course in set-up and take-down as well as some towing lessons, but that could be accomplished very easily. I would offer to "deliver" for her in a heartbeat, but I'd probably get socked in the nose for my troubles.

One of the attributes that attracted me to my wife was her independence and self-reliance. She doesn't need me around....she wants me around.....which I guess could cut both ways if I was ever seriously in the dog house [:D]

When I first met her, I was asking how she ended up in Albuquerque of all places (born and raised in Seattle and college in Mass.). She said basically she just closed her eyes spun around and stuck her finger on the map....the nearest big city would be her post-college destination. She also told me how she took 10 days or so coming from Mass. to New Mexico and just camped the whole way (by herself) in a tent. Her Glacier stories from that trip are the best. I pretty much knew at that point I had the catch of a lifetime.

15. jenoble99

jenoble99 New Member

My wife can't back a trailer, so no, I probably wouldn't let her take it. I think she could setup ok once at the campsite, though she is vertically challenged. Reaching a few key setup items may be difficult for her. I would take it and setup for her and pick it back up. Would make me feel better about it, and save her all the difficulties.

16. bobb050

bobb050 Member

I would not hesitate to "let" my wife take the popup. After all it is in her name. I have no doubt that she would have no problems other than backing it up. That gets better only with practice.

17. CaliforniaPoppy

CaliforniaPoppy California and beyond!

In our house the question would be if I'd "let" my husband take the p'up. I did the research, I found the p'up, I bought the p'up, I learned everything we needed to know about having a p'up, and I do all the planning for our trips. He's along for the ride and to provide muscle and manpower.

Last fall I took the p'up a few hours south to a beach campground with a couple of girlfriends. I swear, we had camp set up instantly.

There's nothing more efficient than three moms (especially when they know the beach and a gin and tonic are waiting!)

We had the best trip. Went into town for a concert, dined, hung out with friends, then went back to the beach for more relaxation, fireside chats, etc.

18. redjacket

redjacket In memory of Nick Dilal, Sr. 1931-2005

I am embarrassed. We must be the wierd ones here! My husband and I don't take overnight trips with the "girls" or the "guys". We have our own friends of course and do things with them, but I guess it just never occurred to us to be away from each other for days at a time. Is anyone else out there "weird" like us?

19. astronomynv

astronomynv 98 Starcraft Constellation 1021 TV 93 Ford Bronco

Yes, my wife can take the pop up any time she wants.

20. peter.hagstrom

peter.hagstrom New Member

No.