Would you like your cell phone rare,medium or well done?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by Detroit_Iron, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Member

Who comes up with this stuff?

https://www.flamestower.com

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Neat gizmo if your on a backpacking/canoe camping trip ... don't really see the use for it if your with your trailer, even boondocking most of us have chargers in the vehicle ...

3. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

It is very cool regardless. Wonder how long it takes to charge up a drained cell phone. Also it should work with propane fire since all it needs is hot water or is there more to it?

4. Ponyknite

Ponyknite New Member

Is it a thermoinduction motor or is it stream or some other thermoelectrical properties that I haven't heard of? May the reverse of solidstate heat pump?

5. StageLover

StageLover Member

Looks like reverse Peltier effect. Peltier effect is used in coolers such as the Mobicool. Running a current through the Peltier Effect device causes one side to heat and the other side to cool. The Mobicool uses this property to cool (or heat depending on switch setting) the contents.

The opposite behavior is also possible: heating or cooling one side relative to the other side will generate a current. This appears to be the basis of this device. It looks like the red 'chimney' provides the cooling for the other side of the device.

6. Strut

Strut Member

7. generok

generok Well-Known Member

If it had a video of someone hooking the unit to a PUP battery in a boondock setting, I'd bet it would fly off the shelves. Granted, this, and similar units, only produce 2.5 watts, but like Snow said, I have a gigantic battery charger built in to my TV... it's called the alternator and it provides current to PUP batteries, phones, GPS and even inverters quite nicely with the turn of a key. And, it is 50 states emissions legal and quiet.

But, if you were to spike out from the PUP and TV, then this is a way to generate a little charge with something most people do anyway... have a fire. And for that, I say, it's pretty good. Yeah, yeah, get away from the office, leave your phone behind... my phone has the BEST GPS navigation tool I've ever seen, as well as the ability to download maps, take pics, etc. My phone is a tool, and it needs a charge to work.

8. Strut

Strut Member

My parents have a thermo-electric(Peltier) powered fan that circulates air around their woodstove.

[​IMG]

9. Jeepguy93

Jeepguy93 Member

It's pretty much how the Mars rover curiosity runs, it uses a nuclear generator that creates heat instead of fire.

10. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Did anyone else get a security warning off that link? Looks a like bogus site certificate.

11. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

Not exactly Peltier... That's where you run current through a bimetal "couple", and it transfers heat from one junction to the other.
    The opposite process, applying heat to generate current, is the Seebeck Effect.

Many decades ago, I worked for A Certain Government Department, and part of the job was reverse-engineering odd bits of technology to see how they worked. We were once given a hurricane lamp containing a thermoelectric generator, intended to charge the batteries on a covert radio without attracting attention.
    Figuring it out was made a little more tricky by the bullet hole...

12. StageLover

StageLover Member

Right, Seebeck. I couldn't remember the name so I just said a kind of reverse Peltier. I happened to remember "Peltier" because I had been explaining to a friend how the Mobicool on our boat worked. I should have taken the time to look it up.

No problem here with the site certificate. It is a GoDaddy certificate so maybe your browser doesn't have the GoDaddy authority registered.