Would you live in your PUP???

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by cssweeney, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

We bought our Aliner as a bug-out vehicle after Hurricane Katrina. We have used it successfully to evacuate after another hurricane. I would not want to live in it more than a few weeks, but I could if necessary. It's better than living in a tent (I've done that in the Army), or under a bridge (Haven't been there yet.) With a screen room set-up to give a little more room, it's doable.

[​IMG]

Chip

2. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

I too love camping, but no, I would not want to live in a pop-up. Well, I could if I had to, at least temporarily... but I wouldn't choose to otherwise.

3. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

I did camdrivway during the winter in this to see how it would do[​IMG] but in a pop up maybe if it was the only thing i had.

4. TCwheels

TCwheels "All who wander are not lost..."

Agree! Ready to go with this plan in about 18 months! MAY switch to bigger rig from little Rockwood...but now that I've added hot water mod and shower/toilet cabana I've almost convinced DW to give it a go with the PUP - probably upgrade the TV for a little more comfort too.

5. DragNfly

DragNfly New Member

I'm about to live and work out of mine for 10 days.

Some idiot volunteered to build a bathroom facility for a campground.

6. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

we lived in ours 1st pup for 3 months when we moved to NC almost 30 years ago, mid July on. It was a simple tent on a trailer, and we managed. would not want to do it again, even with HHT.

7. Jean

Jean New Member

The original question, I believe, was if a disaster struck, would I want to live in my pup. In a heartbeat. The alternatives, would be living with relatives or staying in a hotel. Neither sound as attractive.

About taking a retirement type where you travel about living in your pup. I would totally do this. The only thing is dh does not like to camp in the rain (before our first pup he didn't like to camp) and he wouldn't want bad weather for more than about a day or so. Since we live in Oregon, we would have to plan around that a lot.

But, back to in a disaster, he would survive an Oregon winter.

Jean

8. gzank6

gzank6 Member

I would live out of it, not live in it. Meaning we'd have to be parked in a driveway or backyard. but if it were an emergency situation... natural disaster... without a doubt. I always count on my camping gear as part of our sh_t hits the fan plan.

9. kpic

kpic New Member

In one of these TEOTWAWKI scenarios, if it was all we had, what other choice would we have?

If and when such a event would occur, food, water and shelter would be the highest priorities.

10. cssweeney

cssweeney Member

My original question was just a simple question! Would you live in your PUP? Just cause. No disasters, just cause!!! And my answer is still YES [8D]

11. Geistak

Geistak New Member

Well, not unless I had suffered a severe brain injury!

In 2000 we bought a new house that got delayed due the incompetence of the builders. We'd already sold our previous property,and decided to spend a few weeks in our Motorhome until the new house was completed.

I can vividly remember the odd feeling when we'd handed our house keys to the Solicitor (lawyer), banked the buyer's cheque. and had nowhere in the world to live other than the MH.

It was school summer holidays, and we set off for Devon to enjoy a long summer break.

As we drove along , I was acutely concious that if anything happened to the MH we'd have nowhere to live! - no point in getting out a breakdown service to take us home - we had no home!

Happily, nothing untoward occurred, and we duly arrived in Devon to spend the summer.

After less than three weeks we were going mad! - holidays are fun, but enforced holidays become a sentence.

By the end of the fifth weeks we yearned for a house, for baths, for showers, for water that didn't have to be carried or emptied, for lighting that didn't rely on 12 volt batteries.... all sorts of things.

When we finally got the keys of our new home we wandered around, almost amazed! - wow!, what a big kitchen sink! ;), what huge rooms!, what a joy to have toilets connected to sewers, a washing machine that didn't need coins!.....

It taught us a lesson - the idea of the free life of the raggle-taggle gypsy is one thing - the reality is something completely different!

And that was in a six month old Motorhome! Do it in a pop-up? - Oy!!. pass the razor blade and let me escape from the very thought of it!!.....

Seriously, it was fun (in a way) and will be a fond memory - but, do it 'full time'? - no way!

12. oeagleo

oeagleo Caching, and Photography!

I will say that having actually to live in a tent for a few months, I'd MUCH rather live in the PUP, It would be so much better. If it came down to being homeless? Sure, I could live in the PUP, a darn site better than a hobo camp by the river.. Would I do it if I had a house? Perhaps on a cross country "walk-a-bout" type endeavor..

13. Geistak

Geistak New Member

14. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Though it doesn't have a bathroom I could make do and the thought did cross my mind should my DW and I get divorced. However as an outdoors kind of guy I write about survival and thanks to the USN I've had my share of nights with little more than my pocket knife. The DW & DD's wouldn't be thrilled after a few weeks but as a guy I could get buy with a tarp, coffee and a TV; restroom is optional.

15. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

I'd have no problems doing it for the summer, and perhaps 3 seasons, but not in winter.

Funny some of you have PUPs more luxurious than the cottage I've been visiting. Its built on a hill leading to a river and has no septic, so outhouses. Water has to be brought in as the river gets too dirty to drink in the summer with all the cottages up and running. And water access only, everything has to be brought over by boat(and with the motorboat in the shop, I've been rowing an aluminum 12 foot).

But my GF is great company and a great cook. So its all good.