Would you take possession without checking how your systems function?

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Mswalleye, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Mswalleye

Mswalleye New Member

Hello ..
    I am putting a deposit down on a Ranger 12 today. The dealer has already winterized the unit and it is sitting in his compound...northern Alberta. I asked if I could have it checked over to make sure there are no issues and he says that the inpection has already been done during the PDI. My question is... would you take possession without having all the systems, lights, plug ins etc. checked out. We plan on using it for the next few months so it would be nice if it was road ready but am I asking too much? How difficult is it to go from winterized to ready? tks

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

If it's a dealer as long as they state in the contract that it will work in guessing that's ok. I'm surprised that they wouldent go over the systems with you. To show you how it works? Is it a used camper?

3. Mswalleye

Mswalleye New Member

No it is a 2019. If I push it I think they would but I am curious how many issues if any pop up during the inspections ... when the buyer is present. The PDI fee was $6.25 ... so to me that means that they maybe glanced at it. :)

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

A good dealer would have no problem going over all of that with you. In fact, your dealer should have set aside a few hours to do so. I have not yet heard of a RV of any kind not having some sort of issues after it has left the lot.

WVhillbilly and Rik Peery like this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Brand new, I would expect them to go over the features. And show me how every thing works.

hayyward and xxxapache like this.
  6. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

I bought a used one without testing the fridge, water and a/c. We wrote up an agreement stating I had 30 days to test and he would repair anything that did not work in those 30 days. After that, it was on me. He was trust worthy, the storage lot he had it at didn't have 120 power or water. Everything worked out for me but I was getting such a good deal that I figured even if he didn't honor the agreement I was still coming out ahead.

If it was new, I would tell them to show me since they have access to everything on the lot unless you are getting a great deal.

7. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

Typically they do a quick run-down on how everything works. Fold up, go over some basic stuff, fold down, you hook-up and leave. They usually don't know jack about pop-ups but they at least try to. I had to help the guy with everything lol, but my GF wanted to go through the process as she didn't know much at the time.

Did they say they weren't going to be going everything?

I don't think we ran the water pump or anything as it was winterized and I had to winterize it when I got home, but, it was all under warranty so I didn't fear for not using it.

8. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Since the dealer says the PDI has already been done. Who was present for the PDI? If I was buying from a dealer I would want to be present for the PDI.
    What good is a PDI if the buyer isn't present????

Rik Peery likes this.
  9. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Unless I knew 'em real well, I'd want a walk through, doesn't take long on an Aliner; we carry our own water anyhoos, & the dude said when lighting the pilot ro run the fridge on propane, light the stove first & let it run for a minute, turn off, then light the pilot from the side panel for the fridge, faster...

10. Mswalleye

Mswalleye New Member

Thanks for all the info. I wasn't sure if they actually would, show water coming out of the taps, leak free lines, run the AC, fridge is ready and cold showing it works, heater on/off etc.

Because I am so far away (17 hrs) it is not likely that I would be bringing it back there ... probably have to go into the states as the aliner dealer there is closer but .. some of these other dealers don't like dealing with you when you don't buy from them. If the dealership was in my neighborhood I would be okay just driving it off the lot and going over it at home but I am too far for that. The salesman said they do the pdi and then contact Aliner with any issues found ... but this is done on arrival of units. Not sure how true that is.

I would have liked to go to the nearest dealer but it was in the US, they didn't have what I wanted and their price was quite a bit more.. so , bought this one.

Minor things are no biggie if they are not quite right, it was the fridge, stove, heater, AC .. systems .. I was concerned about. What is the likelihood of issues with these right off the bat? minimal is what I am hoping. I notice the weather is dipping below freezing at nights up there so I may have them skip running water through it right now but the rest of the stuff shouldn't be hard to test according to you folks? Should I have a battery on hand to test stuff on battery power? I got a quote for a battery from them .. an Interstate, can't tell the size.. marine / rv battery wet cell - $310 installed. I think I can get an agm for less ... are they difficult to hook up? install fee on that interstate was $75.... Canadian dollars..

11. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

You do know before leaving the dealer if the appliances have defects until its turned on and tested.

12. Mswalleye

Mswalleye New Member

You mean you do not know if they have defects until turned on and tested.. I take it?

Unless I see things turned on and working I am taking the dealers word that this was all done during pdi and any issues were corrected. I thought I might be asking too much of them to run the systems again in front of me ....as the unit was already winterized ... that was why I asked the question originally.

If people were not really finding issues during their dealer tours I was not going to be too worried. If there was a tendency for the systems to be flawed from the start, then I would insist on a going over.

I will just ask for them to go over everything, minus the water. I have no clue about these things and it would be an educational experience for me ... hopefully. Like the one poster said, sometimes the buyer knows more. I had to correct the salesman about the titanium axle ...

13. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  14. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

It is never too much trouble to have the dealer show you everything and check it. You can always walk away... they will chase you down and do it.

15. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina. You get what you inspect, not what you expect.

hayyward and Shoedaddy like this.
  16. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Winterizing should only effect the water systems. So they should fill it with water and try everything. What would it cost .... water is free .... and to rewinterize a 4 dollar gallon of RV antifreeze.

17. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

Hello from an AZ Aliner Classic owner.

My pick up day included a scheduled training session and walk through with the technician. The technician has more knowledge and experience than the salesmen. They’re the folks providing training, repairs, and maintenance.

Because my pickup was on a Friday afternoon, they were behind. When we finally got our training with the Tech, he went through our training in 20 minutes instead of the 2 hours scheduled. It’s the only part of my experience that wasn’t as good as it should have been.
    • Make sure all items you’re not happy with are written on the contract and repaired/replace prior to leaving.
    • Complete a final walk through before taking possession and signing off.
    • Make sure they provide a training session. This is included in the extra charges in your sales contract. Check your contract and make sure you get what was paid for. Special fees or training fees.
    • Ask TONS of questions.
    • Take LOTS of notes.
    • Take pictures and video of your training session. You will be receiving LOTS of information and may want to review your training video later. Reviewing many times later till you’re comfortable.
    • Make sure they show you how to use all appliances on your Aliner. Furnace, heater, AC, Cool Cat, Fantastic fan, water pump, sink, outdoor shower, and etc. The Aliner owner’s manual is a synopsis of information. You will have to read booklets for each appliance by the appliance manufacturer.
    Many of us have been at the dealership with a small hint of uncertainty or fear. It will take a short while to become knowledgeable and accustomed to your Aliner. It’s GREAT when you out camping and off the ground in a comfortable dry bed.

An Aliner training session and final inspection on video. So glad they shared for new Aliner owners.

Wish MORE Dealerships and NEW owners share their videos.

Good luck.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

Rik Peery likes this.
  18. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I would not take possession/pay for a new PU until I (with whatever help the dealer offers), set it up and tried stuff out.

19. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

Forgot to include this on my comment above...

Our Technician prep the trailer with full tanks of propane, had the AC running, water heater ready, filled up the water tank, added a new battery, and cool down the fridge in anticipation of us taking her out camping that weekend. We didn’t plan to go anywhere but we did camp driveway at home while becoming familiar with DiamondGirl.

Please let us know how everything works out.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

20. Steve Ogden

Steve Ogden New Member

I picked up my 2018 Aliner Titanium 12 from the dealer in Round Rock, Texas this past Friday. It had been on the lot for several months. Before I arrived for the delivery appointment, they had pressure tested the water & propane systems and had filled the water and propane. All systems and appliances were up and running when I arrived. The technician walked me through each aspect of the appliances and systems. And it wasn't just a 'talk', we turned everything on & off and tested the operation. He patiently answered my many detailed questions and offered several operational tips & suggestions. It was ready to go camping and I felt like I was too. When I was shopping, I spoke with a dealer in AZ who offered a similar price for a comparable unit. But then after discussing price and I was about to say 'ok', they said "by the way" the walk-through & preparation would be an additional $500. I'm glad I drove to Round Rock, TX instead of Mesa, AZ.

DiamondGirl and Rik Peery like this.