Would you take possession without checking how your systems function?

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Mswalleye, Sep 17, 2018.

1. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

Welcome Steve Ogden to the ALINER Family from AZ.

Yup, I paid for that training. It’s the special fees charges in the bill of sale. I live in AZ so driving to Texas would cost more for food, gas & hotels.

How are you liking your Aliner Titanium? I think they’re pretty SWEET looking. Too bad they weren’t around four years ago.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

2. Steve Ogden

Steve Ogden New Member

Thanks for the welcome, DiamondGirl! I'm loving it so far. I live in west central Colorado & have much to explore within 2 hours of the house. Been car-camping forever but the set-up/tear-down of the tent, pack the car at home, unpack at the campsite, repack at the campsite (hopefully not dealing with a wet tent), then unpack at home became too much effort for this older guy for a weekend trip. Not to mention sleeping on the ground & changing cloths in a scrunched up tent. Weekend camping is reasonable again! And with all the public lands around here, the Titanium's the extra ground clearance will come in handy.
    If I was much closer to the AZ dealer I'd have considered the prep costs as the cost of doing business like you did (hotels, time, gas, etc.) but I was going to incur those costs either way. I sure appreciated the inclusion of the prep & training in the price. Also, if I had a local dealer I'd be willing to pay a premium to support the local business and have a good local relationship. I know I ultimately paid for it anyway but it the deal was better in TX and the 'oh by the way another $500 if you want to make sure everything really works and to actually use it' rubbed me wrong. . .

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  3. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

For us, one dealer wanted an extra $480 for the pre-testing, the other dealer included it in the sale price. We bought from dealer #2, but he did not properly test the frig on poropane because the chimney was blocked by a yellowjacket nest.

4. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

I guess we were lucky when we got our little Aliner that we not only got a walk through, the salesman hooked it up and we drove around the block to show us how the dealer installed brake controller worked. Of course February in Maryland is not an especially busy time for camper sales.

5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I have read many times that it is easier to get warranty work done BEFORE you take possession of the camper. For that reason, I would insist on checking everything at the dealership so they could fix any issues before I drove it away.

6. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

any walk-thru or "show you how" fees are rip off. You can always negotiate to remove the fees before agreeing the sale price.

7. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

This goes for used cars, too. Why would you agree to purchase something that's defective? Make the dealer fix any problems, and then you can discuss purchasing (not taking possession after purchasing) the pup (or car). The thing is, the warranty is the consumer warranty, not a warranty to the dealer. You don't want them to fix things under your warranty, you want them to deliver a vehicle that has no problems.

And remember: there's no "one" warranty. You have separate warranties from the manufacturer, tire supplier, batteries, and the systems manufacturers inside the trailer. Do you want your pup to sit in purgatory at the dealership while the dealer negotiates warranty coverage for any of these items?

Seriously, fire up everything before you agree to a purchase, or in the case of a car, take it for a test drive, and not the demo model; the actual unit you will acquire.

8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Yep. Exactly!

9. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

What Snow said you would want to have peace of mind when you get to a campground, expecting everything in working order. there are some who would buy regardless the condition the popup is in, and complained about it at the first camp-out. Just be smart. Be firm. Dealers are desperate to get rid of campers. (keep that in mind).