Would you trade?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Orchid, Sep 14, 2016.

Would you trade?

Poll closed Sep 18, 2016.
  1. YES! Do it before he changes his mind!

9.1%
  2. Nope. I'd take my chances with the van

54.5%
  3. I'm even worse at making decisions than you are.

36.4%
  1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey - one of the years that has known transmission problems. I had the transmission rebuilt 30k miles ago. Current mileage 143k

Found someone who has 3 children, needs the 3rd row seat and is willing to trade me for a 1999 Chevy Blazer with factory tow package. Current mileage 165k

Both vehicles are mechanically sound. I don't need the 3rd row seat, just like having it, although it's stowed most of the time.

I can either spend the approximately $500 to add hitch, wiring, and transmission cooler to the van. Or I can straight up trade for the Blazer.

Opinions?

2. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

That's a tough one. 2 years older and 22k more mileage vs rear wheel drive with a full tow package. I guess you could say you're getting $500 boot. I'd probably go for it but I prefer RWD anyway. How much does your camper weigh?

3. Orchid

It weighs just over 2,100 (dry)

If it weren't the transmission issues known to this year of Odyssey, I wouldn't even consider it. I am very concerned about overworking my transmission, even with a cooler on it. From what I've read, I should have had a cooler installed on it at the rebuild, even without towing. The more I read, the more nervous I get.

Unfortunately, I can't afford to have both vehicles. [:!]

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

If I was in that position I would trade. Towing is very hard on transmissions and if you already had it rebuilt once to me that is just a big fat question mark if it is up for the job. You sure don't want to find yourselves stranded on some trip gosh forbid. As much as it's hard to trade for a car with more miles you will know that it's more built for towing. Is there a way you can have a shop look it over before you trade just for a little more piece of mind? Good luck.

5. Orchid

I am taking it to a mechanic on Friday to have it looked over. I told the guy I would take my van to any mechanic of his choice, but he declined. I guess us grandmas seem trustworthy. [LOL]

I KNOW I will miss having a van if I go through with it. But I really got the camper so we could camp often. I don't want to be stressed out every trip with it.

Even if the mechanic gives it a clean bill of health, I will likely stress about it until I'm more confident in it. Everything just worries me to death. [:(] I wish I could be more carefree.

It IS a better tow vehicle and I just have to keep reminding myself what life is all about - living. Exactly what I want to do with our NTU PUP.

6. Kevin79

Kevin79 Member

Do you know the person that you are trading with? Are the miles mostly from city driving or highway? Is he a fast accelerator/someone that is tougher on the engine? Was maintenance regularly done? If he never did anything to it or regularly went way over on oil changes and stuff then I would be concerned. Also, how is the body on it? Well taken care of or dented and rusty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. wl7cpa

wl7cpa New Member

If your happy with any barter, do it. Most the world barters, the U.S. is one of the few hung up on paper money. Spit in your hand and shake.

8. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I would go back to whomever fixed the transmission in the van and ask them about the expected life of the installed trans. Here's the thing: when a manufacturer has a design flaw in their vehicle, either they or an aftermarket company comes up with a fix for it. It's very possible that when you had the trans rebuilt, it was done with upgraded parts and it will perform much better than the original. If the rebuilder used all stock parts, then you have a potential issue on your hands.

I will warn you that the Blazer, statistically speaking, will nickel and dime its owner to death, so expect to do repairs more often than you do with the Honda.

9. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Those chevy blazers in that time frame had their own specific set of issues. Mainly with front end suspension, but other known issues come from the spider holding the injectors under the upper intake plenum which will cause no start conditions. Front end suspension problems common to chevy trucks across the board in that time frame include easily worn out control arm bushings, upper and lower, steering idler arms tend to go out much faster than similar vehicles, and loose steering gear boxes.

Although it may be a better tow vehicle than your van, it's still not going to be a major hauler given that is not necessarily what it was designed to do. The unfortunate truth of those blazers is that they are mid sized SUVs that have a fairly reliable drive train, but a finicky front end, though once fixed with QUALITY parts will be fine for many years, but in the end the truck will fall apart long before the engine gives out. The engine in that truck will tend to last a long while under the heaviest feet of the teeniest of teenagers, with very little maintenance. There is a reason that engine, and its V8 counterparts are chosen by many hot rodders for their vehicles. It is an easily modified, decent horsepower producer that is still reliable enough for a daily driver. Make sure to get a good tune up on it, should you trade. For some reason, everyone neglects those few things nowadays, and I'd bet my next paycheck that it still has factory spark plugs in it. Which on a Chevy motor is an easy, and cheap, fix.

What it boils down to is what is important to you. It may turn out to be a good trade, it may not be. Is it really worth it? Only you can truly answer that question. But be sure whoever looks it over before you trade gives the front end a good shake to address needed front end parts.

10. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Oh, and have the front wheel bearings checked, they're another common problem [;)] easy fix though!

11. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

Personally I'd stick with the Odyssey. I have one, although it's a later generation that doesn't have the transmission design issue that you are worried about. Even if I had one that could have transmission problems, I'd still stick with it. The reason is that yes, there is 1 known large issue in the design, but almost everything else in the design is rock solid. It's a big expense, but it only comes up once every 5-10 years from what I hear from other owners of that generation and online forums. Knowing that there are issues with the transmission, I would probably have it checked out once a year at a mechanic and also have the transmission fluid flushed at least twice as often as Honda recommends. Right now you know what your problems will be. With the Blazer you may not know what design issues you'll run into. Have you checked the Consumer Reports site on both of these vehicles? I've found that site as a good source of information on used vehicles and figuring out what kind of design issues I may run into.

I like the way our Odyssey drives - like a car, but with a 250 hp power plant. It's great at steering, breaking, and acceleration, especially when doing our daily driving which is mostly unloaded. We also have a '06 Civic and a '11 F-250. The F-250 is a great TV for the camper. Comparing the two the F-250 wins hands down, but that's what it was designed for. For the other 95% of our driving it bounces us around pretty bad. It's also wider, so makes for some interesting times when going into downtown Houston. Also, when breaking in normal scenarios it feels like I have to mash the brakes harder. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of braking power, I just have to push a lot harder to get the same response. This is normal variation in brands though. I also am a father of 2 (VERY soon to be 3) toddlers 3 and under. We also haul around other kids from time to time. Feels like a taxi service. In addition to the 3rd row, we like to use the large enclosed rear of the minivan to haul things in inclement weather. We bought the F-250 for camping. When camping, it's a great vehicle. We love all three of our vehicles, but each has it's own purpose.

But that is me. In the end you have to make the decision that is right for you. If you think you will be better off with the Blazer, even if the "value" is different one way or the other, then go for it. You may even ask the other owner if you can trade vehicles for a week so you can get a better feel for how the Blazer drives. You may find that you don't like it so much. If so, you could do the trade, then sell their Blazer and get something else, or let them sell their Blazer and buy the Odyssey from you. Around here we get a lot of people saying that they want a used Odyssey but can't seem to find one. It's more accurate that they can't find one that someone is willing to get rid of for the amount they want to spend.

Good luck in your decision.

12. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I agree. Even if it was rebuilt the same as stock it should still last another 50,000 miles.

13. bldmtnrider

bldmtnrider Member

If I owned that Chevy I would want to trade you too. I guarantee you if you trade, the other person will be getting the better deal.

No doubt I will get flamed over this and keep in mind this is my experience, but I've owned a 1989 Chevy Blazer and a 2003 Chevy S10 (truck version of the Blazer). Under the different body styling those 2 vehicles were IDENTICAL and they are the reason why I will never again own a Chevrolet.

The front ends on the S10s and Blazers are the same and will require maintenance approximately every 40K miles. That is what the mechanic told me after I bought the blazer and sure enough, every 40K miles I found the ball joints were shot. I didn't learn my lesson and Chevy didn't bother to fix the problem so I had the same issue with my 2003 S10, every 40K it was time for a ball joint job. If I didn't need to get an alignment done sometimes I would let them go to 50K. Combined I put on almost 300K miles on the Blazer and S10 and did at least 7 ball joint jobs. Parts from an auto part store were about 200 each time and most of the mechanics wanted to charge 700 each time.

In addition to that I got to experience the nickle and diming on both vehicles after about 130K. A sensor here, a switch there, a heater core over there, an occasional fuel pump,... It was always something. The engines and transmissions were not too bad, but everything else just kind of started to fall apart. Finally did the math and found out that my 6 year old S10 was costing me a car payment a month to keep it on the road.

There was a time in my life when I liked working on cars and I can thank Chevrolet for getting that out of my system. I will say there is one thing I can thank Chevy for - the leaky sunroof got me out of a bad relationship.

My vote is keep the Honda as you know what is right, what is wrong, what needs to be fixed and what needs to be watched. More specifically, my vote is to not end up with a Blazer with 165K miles and have any hope that it will be reliable.

14. creynoldsmiz

creynoldsmiz Member

Wow you owned two of the cheapest Chevy's that they made, and now your totally biased. Lol. I have had my GMC Envoy and Silverado, 06 and 05 respectively, and never have any major problems with them and they have 166k and 185k on them now. Fuel up, keep good oil in them, do basic maintenance and they are always stone cold reliable. No I don't live in harsh environments or gravel or dirt roads and don't do high speed racing/accelerating/braking so my stuff just seems to last well. My 02 Envoy I had before this one (sadly was totaled when I got T-Boned) went 180k and still had the ORIGINAL suspension other than one tie rod end and ORIGINAL rear brakes and they were in good shape.

Not saying the Blazers were the highest quality cars ever made, but I think you are a little harsh on criticism of Chevys.

15. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

1989 blazer must be a typo as they are nothing like an S10. 1999 blazer is like a S10. Your mechanic was probably installing nice $4.00 ball joints from china and charging you 200 for parts. There is no way that good ball joints are going to wear out every 40,000 miles. The suspension on an S10 is pretty standard, doesn't make sense that it somehow destroys ball joints.

16. Orchid

Thanks for all the great advice! You guys are life savers. I was 90% sure I would do the trade when I originally posted this. Now, I think I'll just put the money into making the van the best tow vehicle it can be. I'll put on the heaviest duty transmission cooler available.

True, the van is an excellent vehicle besides the transmission. I've cared for it well, with oil changes every 3,000 miles and all other recommended maintenance. I just put brand new, high quality tires on it last year and new brakes a few months ago. It's very reliable.

Since this will mainly my everyday vehicle, and only a tow vehicle back and forth to camping, I think the majority here is correct that I should keep the van. All of the places we camp are less than 3 hours from here and level terrain here in FL. Our most frequented state park is just over an hour drive.

After sleeping on it, I was curious that the guy was not concerned about the van, and asked very few questions. He was very anxious to trade, sight unseen. I do not know the guy, just saw his ad on craigslist. I'll post a link to it. Basically, the only thing he wanted to know was if we had already rebuilt the transmission, and how many miles were on it. He didn't ask anything else.

Additionally, despite me wanting to meet at our home, or his, he would only meet in town. I don't feel like meeting in a parking lot is really a proper environment for looking over a car. I did call my regular mechanic and he agreed to have a look at the Blazer tomorrow, but I'm going to cancel.

http://lakecity.craigslist.org/cto/5765274867.html

17. bldmtnrider

bldmtnrider Member

I have no doubt that I owned 2 of the cheapest Chevys made and yes, I am biased. Not because I chose the S10, which fit my needs at the time, but because there just isn't an excuse to not fix a problem as big as blowing u-joints every 40K miles over a 20yr life span. I was pretty sure that Chevy put all the interns on the S10 without a seasoned engineer watching them. I know the full sized trucks are a whole different animal, I just decided to support a company that put the emphasis on longevity and resale, so I made the switch to Toyota.

There is a 1989 S10 Blazer and a K5 Blazer. I had the S10. I was doing the work and at the time the best ball joints your could find were moog which were about $50 each. Napa had some fancy ones for a while but they didn't last either. Didn't matter the brand or how much you greased them. The good news is after you do them a few times it only took about an hour a side. The even better news was the Moog ball joints had a lifetime warranty so as long as you didn't loose your receipt you were only into it for the labor. You could probably get a bit more than 40K out of a set if you baby them, but it is a well known issue, at least on the 4wds.

There was a whole laundry list of other issues that had to be fixed all the time, but the ball joints were the worst.

18. fix_it

fix_it Member

I'm surprised by your experience with the ball joints. I had an 87 s10. It had 113k on it when I got it. I sold it with 190k on it. I even swapped in a V8 motor, but it still had the original front suspension. Ball joints, tierods, you name it. The front end on the s10 is identical to the G-body cars (cutlass, Montecarlo) of that era. They didn't seem to eat ball joints, that I recall anyway.

19. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

I wouldn't trade if I were you. You know everything about your vehicle but not as much about his. That's my 2 cents worth after 34 years in a car dealership.

20. Orchid

That's exactly what I decided. [:D]