Would you use your PUP to reserve a spot?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Misc99, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I could not find anything by doing a quick search.

We want to camp over Labor Day. The CC we want to go to does not take advance reservations. It is close enough so one of us could go up and put a tent on it and pay for a couple of days in advance of the weekend.

So should we use a tent or do you think we could leave the PUP to reserve the spot?

It is a small SP. I plan on asking a ranger what they think.

I like the idea of already having the pup there and all we have to do is bring our food and personal items. Then open the sweet baby up and wah-lah we are ready to camp.

2. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Of course! If you paid for the spot, it's yours, whether the pup is open or not.

3. ghri49

ghri49 Member

As long as the CGH is ok with it and your not real worried about someone stealing it than I would. Of Course mine is an old PUP and not really worth stealing to anyone else. I would put a Hitch lock on it though and maybe chain it down somehow. Chains can be cut but most thief's are to lazy to do so.

4. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

If it is close enough, put up Pup and Camp [8D] I have left mine for 2 nail biting days, it was fine however, the what if's took over. Don't leave out the awning, or anything else [{}=]

5. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

DH was worried someone would open it and possibly steal stuff out of it...like our REALLY heavy stove that is shoved in the back behind a bunch of other non essentials. He tends to be more concerned about this stuff than I am. I said if they steal stuff it can be replaced and we will be just fine. But he wanted me to ask this on the portal and hear from ya all.

6. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

X2

Check with the rangers...some places don't allow you to leave a unit unattended even for a day. Rules are different everywhere, I know, but best to at least ask!

[:D]

7. Checkered24

Checkered24 Member

I third checking the rules about not being on the site. Some sites you cannot have equipment there like that for days but not actually occupy the site. May depend on the rules of the campground.

Otherwise, I guess it depends on the risk you want to take. I would not want my equipment to appear obviously unattended for days at a time. Although I have never had a problem with theft at a campground, when something looks completely unattended it becomes added invitation for people to take advantage of.

If you can leave something on the site to keep it, what about a cheap tent?

8. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

I see no problem with it. If you paid for the spot, it's yours. But maybe it'll be best to ask a ranger? Put a lock on one of the latches. But if someone wants something bad enough, locks will not stop them. It's up to you if you want to take that chance. And I agree with Checkered24, why not put a cheap tent on the site instead?

Campit

9. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

When I spoke to the ranger awhile back, they said they don't take formal reservations but do allow people to put a tent on a site a couple of days in advance and pay for the extra days of course. I will check on the leaving an empty rig.

The worse thieves in this place are masked and four legged.

We have never camped at this one, but it is on our bucket list. We are camping here this coming weekend if we set up a $50 tent or our PUP to save the spot.

It has been waaay too long since we camped last.

10. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Do It [8D] 1st come...

11. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

You know I understand the point of securing a spot...however I COMPLETELY disagree with this practice. Countless times we have been to a CG thst only reserves a spot for you, not a specific spot. You get there make the rounds and all the decebt spots are taken up by people who have pitched a tent or dropped of a TT or PUP and they arent even there! Not trying to be a turd about it, but for those others who are camping I dont see it as fair that one comes by and does this sort of thing. Just my [2C]

12. Manper

Manper New Member

most cg rules state the site must be occupied the first night. check the rules and with the campground host. I personally would never leave my pup unattended for more than a few hours.

13. Loraura

Loraura New Member

I probably wouldn't leave it there unattended overnight, but since I work from home (or anywhere with an Internet connection) I'd certainly head up early, find the closest coffee shop with wifi to work from during the day and camp alone at night till my family could join me.

14. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Most of the rules I've seen also say the site must be occupied the first night.

15. daveo1289

daveo1289 Well-Known Member

I have seen this done at NYS camp grounds many times. Money talks and if you want to pay for the site and not use it for a few days, the camp ground still gets their money. I personally had a site for a week a couple of years ago and had been requested to come back home for a family matter. I left the unit on site and was gone for a couple of days. I didn't have time to tell the camp staff about my departure and when I got back, it was like I never left.

16. ute_fan

ute_fan New Member

It may depend on the campground, but most of the ones around here require that the site be occupied the first night too. We've been know to go up, stay one night, and then come home and sleep one night at home after work while we finished getting the shopping & stuff done, and then go back up for the weekend.

There was an article on the news here about a week ago about thieves breaking into RV's up in the mountains here in Utah. I think these are ones that weren't at improved sites, because it sounded like the guy they interviewed left his stuff in one spot most of the summer (which wouldn't be allowed in a regular campground), and they'd go up every weekend. His trailer or MH was broken into, pretty trashed, and they had a bunch of ATV's stolen.

Pretty sad when theives can't leave stuff alone.

17. ShellRidenour

ShellRidenour Live, Laugh, Love & Camp

4th of July weekend we wanted to camp at Holly River State Park (WV) but did not have reservations. We took the pup down Tuesday evening, set up camp, locked the little door on the pup and left for the night. When we got back down there Wednesday after work, everything was fine.

I would rather see a unit on a site and no one there, than see a tag hanging for a 4 day reservation and no one show up. Which happened to several of the sites that weekend.

18. gzank6

gzank6 Member

I believe, you cannot leave your campsite "unattended" for a certain number of hours. Can't say I'd condone this, campsites in good places are hard to come by, they should be used and enjoyed.

19. JustRelax

JustRelax Well-Known Member

This is a good way for campgrounds to make extra income if they are first come. Most primitive sites in Indiana are first come. Most of the best ones on holiday weekends are booked on Monday and Tuesday the week of the holiday. They ask that you put a tent of some kind up to show that it is occupied. A PUP in the driveway is fine. There is no stipulation that you be there for any portion of the stay.

I personally don't see a problem with this. If someone wants to make the drive and pay extra nights to reserve their spot that's in their right.

As for leaving the PUP, I would not have a problem leaving mine. Just let the campground attendant know your plans and have him keep an eye on it. Usually they can't take cash as an incentive to do this but a nice pie or similar from the local Amish shop as an example works great when making this request. That way it can be shared with his counterpart on the other shift(s).

20. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

Well, we have decided not to stay at that CC this trip....again, sigh! It has a pool, however the pool is closed because they lost their lifeguards to school. It is Osage Hills SP near Bartlesville. I'm kinda bummed because they have great hiking trails and it is pretty shady. But the temps are to be close to 100 and an afternoon dip in the pool is a perfect activity after working up a sweat.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Osage-Hills-State-Park/151091388239938
    http://www.travelok.com/listings/view.profile/id.5595

We found another CC close that has a beach to a lake and we could reserve a spot online. It's not as beautiful, but it's camping so I'm not complaining.

Maybe next time.