Wow! Another Fleetwood Lift Problem...This Forum is Busy!

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by alexmacsuga, May 24, 2010.

1. alexmacsuga

alexmacsuga New Member

/Users/alexmacsuga/Desktop/IMG_0249.jpg

This part is not working. I put the crank handle in here, and it just spins and spins. Won't crank up at all. When I put a socket wrench inside, I can crank it up with no problem. Bringing it down using this socket method is sure interesting!

How can I get this part to stop turning in its housing?

2. Tryton

Tryton New Member

Your URL is bad. Looks like it pasted the last half.

3. alexmacsuga

alexmacsuga New Member

Here's the picture! Can anyone help?

[​IMG]

4. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

Alex you should have a pin spanning those two holes.... Just my assumption... That would be what your cranks slots fit over. I could be totally wrong, but should be right. Shouldn't it have a roll pin there?

5. alexmacsuga

alexmacsuga New Member

Right! I am not that much of a newbie, Frank! Give me a little credit! I have the pin out now because the only way I can crank it up is by putting a 9/16 socket inside there to get it up.

6. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

Hmmm... Ok you get credit.... [:D]
    Our system is different without the chain...

7. alexmacsuga

alexmacsuga New Member

Thanks! Could the threads on this part be stripped? I can't seem to tighten this as much as I would like.

8. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

Hi Alex....

Did you by chance lube the sprocket, If you did you may have gotten a bit of lube on the clutch disc.

That would cause the exact same condition that you explain. Here is a pic of the clutch disc on mine. Yours uses the same approach

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

I had the same problem but I don't have the chain part. It was the spacer and spring in the handle extension assembly that was bad. If you can crank it up with the socket and down then the problem is not the whiffle tree. Does it stay up once you crank it up?, does it still make the ratcheting sound while cranking up?

10. alexmacsuga

alexmacsuga New Member

Yes, it still makes the ratcheting sound when cranking it up. Also, I have been successful in cranking it up with the socket, and it stays there. That's a good thing! I need to do it a few more times before I am comfortable with it.

What do you mean about the spacer and spring? I found a couple of washers in there and a spacer, but no spring. There was something that resembled a spring, but it was flat. It looked liked a few of those lock washers all smashed together.

11. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

Yes, that is/was the spring it looks kind of like some washers welded together and is around .25" think or so if I remember correctly. It is not too flimsy so if this is flat then then I would think that is your problem. When you use the socket do you have to push in on it or do you just turn it normally? Use this site http://www.fft-inc.com/korkwerks/parts_books.htm to identify the parts. You don't say which trailer you have, so I couldn't link right to yours.