WOW! Scary Dealer Experience...

Discussion in 'RV Dealers & Repair Shops' started by DJFav, Oct 17, 2018.

1. DJFav

DJFav Member

Purchased our new PUP, 2018 Clipper Classic 1285 SST this past September from General RV, Wixom, MI. Had to bring it back to dealer to install a new vinyl panel -- not canvas -- (warranty work). We asked, but they would not let us back in the bay while instation (liability). We just so happened to be walking the lot and noticed the "techs" (subjective term) popped down the PUP with the slide and both bunks out. DH started shouting (very loudly!) and thankfully got the attention of superiors. We MADE ourselves at the scene and demanded they pop back up to check for potential damage. We then inspected the vinyl panel install (over the goucho) and saw there was an 8" gap to the outside! I could wave my hand within the gap! The tech (??) figured he was done and was lowering the PUP when we saw this........ Unbelievable!!!!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  2. DJFav

DJFav Member

We had them correctly install the vinyl, but
    our concern now is the strain on the bunk end support rails (1x king, 1x queen) without the cable supports. Again, our very first PUP and very protective.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  3. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

They should be fine if no weight was on the outer edges while they were unsupported. However, I would certainly make sure they slide in and out easily.

DJFav likes this.
  4. DJFav

DJFav Member

Yes, we did a final pop up after, and all seems good. Just SMH as General RV has such a great rep but everything from phone calls to replacing a cushion has been a circus. Depts work as silos and have no coordination.

5. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

That seems to be an issue everywhere. Sometimes knowing the technician is your best protection.

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

This is a crazy story, but given what I've heard around here, really doesn't surprise me. Dealerships tend to have no clue what they're doing when it comes to pups. I would be super upset if I saw that happening.

Just curious, why did a brand new camper need new canvas?

7. DJFav

DJFav Member

Our PUP was on the lot since March 2018. Thinking popping up and down for weather? We now know General RV doesn't employ the sharpest tool in the box!!

Orchid likes this.
  8. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

This location is particular doesn't have a great reputation, because there are way, way too many stories like yours! This is my home location now, and I thought, great, now it's easy to avoid their horrible Mt. Clemens store that screwed up the brakes when I first got my pup. But it's more of the same. It can't help things that in Michigan, there are no required certifications for people unless they're working on the automotive components.

DJFav likes this.
  9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I have found that I get better service at dedicated RV repair shops (and dedicated car repair shops) than at dealerships.

Dealerships have mechanics as a side show to their dealerships. Repair shops have mechanics because it's all they do. If a repair shop screws up, it's out of business. If a dealership screws up, they just sell more product.

Check your warranty and see if any repair shops can perform the work instead.

DJFav likes this.
  10. DJFav

DJFav Member

It is very sad that the Wixom location is the HQ store. God forbid we encounter further warranty issues with the PUP, but we thought (hoped) the Mt clemens location would be better.

11. DJFav

DJFav Member

Absolutely! One of several reasons we bought new was the comfort of 2-year warranty.