Wow the $ start adding up.

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Goforit, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Goforit

Goforit Member

As the new owner of a used pop up, I am finding that all the miscellaneous associated expenses sure do add up. I guess that is what happens when you tend to be a little anal about wanting everything to be perfect;). Anybody else feel like they sometimes enjoy buying gadgets and doing upgrades as part of their camping experience?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Orchid, Storm, TheLight75 and 8 others like this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Wait a year , when you find you don't use any of them[:D]

tenttrailer, Spridle, Orchid and 14 others like this.
  3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

When I first buy a new camper, I go through a period where it seems I buy something every time I camp. After a season of camping, the purchases dwindle to almost nothing. Going from a bare bones pop up to a TT, the purchases are continuing into the second year, but I think I'm happy now.

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Even buying a brand new camper has expenses. If you never had one before setting up the tow vehicle could be a big one.
    As for mods .... its like a hobby that is easy to work on and you can see and actually use the results. The members of the portal have tried just about anything so if you want to save money just ask what others have done ...... the good and bad.
    I have a whole basement of things I tried over the years that just wasn't doing the job the way I wanted and found a better way.

5. Goforit

Goforit Member

Yep, I know about it being like a hobby. I think sometimes I buy stuff just for the fun of working on it

6. Caper

Caper Member

We've had our pup for a few years and we were content adding something new here and there.
    This year with the pandemic and all we changed our camping a bit so we added a few things, that way we had less contact points where other people may have been, namely the washrooms.

This year we added a double shower tent (one side potty one side shower, we already had a potty) and a hot water on demand shower system.

Sometimes money spent is on convenience or time saving things.

Newbie2poppin and Kyle R Thorson like this.
  7. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Like so many things in life, there are always additional costs for items you THINK you need. [:D]

8. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

I keep reminding myself how much money I'm saving by not spending $2500/week each year on a resort vacation.

9. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

You buy everything possible then if you are like me you weed it all out till you have the bare minimum.
    Nature of the beast.

10. slowcarfast

slowcarfast Member

For years, with tent camping, I'd splurge on maybe one new piece of gear before each long trip (usually about yearly, for a week long trip). That approach worked well to identify stuff that really would improve the experience. I'd keep a running list of "it really would've been nice to have X on that trip" or "would really be nice to upgrade Y." There are certainly some essentials you need, but I feel like that approach led to developing to a nice effective kit for me and the way I camp. When we switched to a pop up, a lot of those same gear choices work for the pop up too, any additional purchases were really about convenience. For me, a big part of getting the pop up was to make trip prep easier, so I want to be able to keep the camper stocked and ready to go, that meant doing things like buying a cast iron skillet and a few kitchen items instead of stealing them from the home kitchen each trip, etc. Or purchasing a set of camping chairs that will stay in the pop up. Those are far from necessities, and everyone's approach to camping is different, but it's hard to replace experience in making those decisions! I'm sure the same will be true as I get more experience with the pop up since this is only our first year.

Orchid, Pommom70, A-Ranger12 and 2 others like this.
  11. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I love to tinker and modify so I get it.

Also my pup seemed "relatively new" when I bought it at 7 years old in 2012, but now as it hits 15 years old, it seems like I have to fix something after every trip. Fortunately it's usually cheap and minor but it does add up. Last trip out, BOTH our bunk-end fan/lights died. Plus my kid sad down really hard on one of the dinette benches and the cheaply-stapled supports underneath broke. Easy fix... I already did the other side years ago when that happened.

The first time out this year, the bunk rail stop broke off and we had to rig something quick and dirty at midnight lol. It thankfully held up for the rest of the trip and I fabricated some new ones out of 3/8" steel tapped/threaded for a 1/4" bolt. So far that's holding up nicely.

Orchid and Kyle R Thorson like this.
  12. McSkippy

McSkippy Member

How many years did it take to fill up your Miata at that rate?

13. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Answer is D, all the above lol; used to have a house full of "must haves", as well as an inside storage room near a local lake full of camping stuff/kayaks etc...at one point several years ago we had 9 yaks, center console bay boat, flat bottom river boat, pop up, Suburban, Isuzu Trooper, & a lifted Jeep Wrangler. One day I decided (wife decided) I was mentally ill & I sold off everything but 4 yaks & bought a new truck, & gave away a crap load of stuff...odd thing is, we'd go somewhere & I'd take the bare necessities & leave the rest to gather dust...pretty much cured now, although I find myself thinking on occasion that 1 more purchase would make life just a tad easier [CB]

14. slowcarfast

slowcarfast Member

[LOL] Miata does not make the ideal camping vehicle... I did one time get 3 guys, camping gear, 2 canoes, and a bicycle on a 1990 Camry, which is about the size of today's subcompact cars. I was trying to find a picture but I can't locate it!

Kyle R Thorson and McSkippy like this.
  15. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I hear you. I have this annoying habit where I buy something thinking oh it will get used, but it ends up getting left behind as I didn’t want to bring yet more stuff. Then I have all these wonderful mod ideas, but no time to work on it, yet I bought all the stuff to work on it already. Now I try to ask myself what else can this item do for me? If it has more than one purpose I buy it. I’m trying to stop my brain from wanting to work on mods because I’m sick of all the piled up projects and no time to work on it.

16. Bradley E Dixon

Bradley E Dixon Member

UMMM...waaaayy too much here....(according to the wifey)

We bought ours almost exactly 1yr ago last week and off the "top" of my head......I'm pretty sure I'm up over the original buying price by almost 5K. :shocked:

Just a quick summary -
    Upgrades/mod/repairs/maintenance alone on JUST the camper are pushing $1500 +.
    For the truck - $1300 (air suspension/trans cooler/LEER topper)
    All the "gear/coolers/camping accessories/dog gear" probably $1000 +
    Oh and the generator - $700 bucks.

So yeaaaaa........

In my defense....I made the mistake of getting rid of everything I had w/my 1st pup when I sold it over 14yrs ago so we had to really start from scratch with this unit.
    I suffer from a condition called "if it COULD happen....it will DEFINITELY happen to me" Anyone who knows me can vouch for that. Although some call it OCD??? (no idea)o_O

So I admittedly tend to OVERKILL on everything.........

But I'm of the opinion of the ONE day I don't bring everything, is the day it all goes to hell.

SO I've been told on more than one occasion by friends & strangers alike - "sure glad you had this stuff or we'd been screwed"

So don't feel guilty is I guess what I'm say'n

Have fun & good luck!
    My2cents:cool:

akriot, Newbie2poppin, Orchid and 4 others like this.
  17. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I buy stuff in the off season, then gorget to put it in the camper, or put it in the camper then loose it. So i re buy said item, and then find the original. Yea , life is t
    ough!

Just got rid of my extra hoses, then had to borrow someones at a campground ( thanks Jimmy for the fill up).
    This trip ,took off the extra sewer hose, and i needed it. So got a new one. If you bring it you will never need it, if you leave it at home you ae guaranteed to need it. Lol

18. PA-Scott

PA-Scott Active Member

The CFO in our house reminds me sometimes that what I "think" is necessary isn't always. But in her defense, she does tolerate quite a bit and grant me a lot more financial freedoms [2C] than others I've talked to. ;)

19. Goforit

Goforit Member

Slowcarfast, I don't know about a Miata not making a good camping vehicle:). I used mine to pull my motorcycle camper. Set camp then went and ran "Tail of the Dragon". Fun times!

20. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I may be the oddball, but we have spent very little on extras for the PUP. Bear in mind that we have decades of tent camping gear. Changed all lights to LED, added charge ports at each end, 100 watt solar, used waste water tote, and awning with screen enclosure for upgrades. Repairs toilet (lip seal and flush pump), fill hose for fresh water tank, and check valve for city water. Maintenance new battery, new wheel bearings, new tires, and disable converter and run off battery with smart charger or solar to keep battery charged.

Kyle R Thorson likes this.