Wow the $ start adding up.

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Goforit, Jul 9, 2020.

1. soflopopup

soflopopup Member

I love buying everything. I'd rather have it than not, and end up sitting at the campsite wishing I had "it".

Orchid likes this.
  2. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I will readily admit, I spent way more than I probably should have. Each trip gave me further evidence that I needed to tweak things, was missing this or that. I enjoy modding the camper - galley shelves, bunk shelves, new faucet, various hanging organizers, fans and such, LED light upgrades, towel racks. Plus all the other stuff - grey water gear, hoses, leveling stuff, cooking gear.

When I first got it much of my gear served double duty - tent camping with scouts and family camping in the pup. That got old really quickly, as I was constantly having to unpack and repack, and many times I would forget to pull something out, leading to a frantic erection to find it, then put it back down again. So I started getting stuff strictly for the pup - extra pots/pans, utensils, plates/bowls/cups, bedding, etc.

I am also a target of opportunity shopper - I rarely pay retail, and a good deal of my gear came from garage sales/estate sales, CL or super discounted clearance. The portable A/C I found was a perfect fit, but I wasn't looking for one at the time. After getting it I don't regret it at all, and I only paid $90. Same with the Blackstone griddle, Weber BBQ, and other stuff. End of season clearance has treated me pretty well. I am now way more equipped than I have any right to be, and I change my loadout for each trip depending on meals and length of stay, but I enjoy the challenge despite all the extra effort I have to put in to leaving, setting up and packing away.

3. poppy65

poppy65 Member

Sure do.

4. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Funny, we are chatting about this topic. At an earlier post I mentioned that my wife and the kids are against me spending for the PUP, even though she bought this as a Father's Day gift last year. She has a 'honey-do-list' for me that I am procrastinating as it cost $$$. Yesterday during dinner this topic came up and the family said to me that they will figure a way to tell me their need is related to the camper, and then I will buy it :).

Rik Peery, Orchid and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I’ve had 3 pups 2 kids and can’t stand bags on bed or dirty clothes laying on floor 3 folding pantry, dirty clothes hamper on top, 2 tv and not a bag in sight 0FDFF66F-33C5-402D-8E1B-C4C2368E7A9C.jpeg

Ductape, Rik Peery, Orchid and 2 others like this.
  6. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Everytime I read someone's post about solar, I start thinking "maybe I should get some to recharge my battery". It usually takes a few minutes before my "but I've never run out of battery power during a trip yet" starts to sink in and I realize I don't need to go shopping for solar...

Many other potential purchases work like that too.

Then there is my Mom's trick: if you see something you like at a store, leave it and make a mental note of it. Now go visit the rest of the store (or mall). When you are done seeing everything, if you can remember that item and where it is AND you are willing to go all the way back for it, then you can get it.

7. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

Don't you miss having counter space? We use bags: During the day they live on the beds. At night we put them on the dinette. Works for us anyway. I'm thinking we probably pack much lighter though.

8. popin it up

popin it up New Member

9. popin it up

popin it up New Member

Yes. 1000% I am always finding ways to upgrade.

10. Ironmonger

Ironmonger Member

Not as bad as a boat, though!

Ductape and Rik Peery like this.
  11. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Funny thing about a boat. You have lots of friends, until you pull up to the gas pump.

Ductape and Rik Peery like this.
  12. Ben Wade

Ben Wade Member

Guys, this is hitting me right now. Last year we spent so much money and we went out on our first adventure thinking "we got this". Then we camped 2 more times and now I just have a whole other laundry list of things I need to amazon. I'm just glad i have some money to get it and I do love to shop for the camper, but geez this is adding up! I bet the RV/camper economy is booming right now during this pandemic.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. Goforit

Goforit Active Member

Yep, it sure is booming. I know Amazon has made a pretty penny off of me and I'm not done yet. Maybe I should invest in Amazon stock, a least make some of my money back:).

14. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

He used to full time in his camper, with kids staying part time, so it was up permanently. Not sure if he still does. There are likely kitchen counters on the side that's not shown in the photo. That explains the lack of bags, and using shelving type units instead.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

DFD17405-A96C-44FB-93D3-BD7C4ABC72E5.jpeg
    5EBA4268-9368-4E7F-94AF-C9F4FF1C68D1.jpeg I’m good. It’s a hi wall

Orchid and Rik Peery like this.
  16. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

LOL my wife would go mental if that's all the counterspace she had.

17. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Wife decided if any more upgrading is to be done, it'll be on the house, so I'll be shelling out $30,000 plus for 2 new decks & 4 sets of sliding glass doors this coming month, so I'm pretty much shafted lol...if she hadn't been working from home the past 4 months, none of this crap would have transpired...

BillyMc, Orchid and Sjm9911 like this.
  18. Ironmonger

Ironmonger Member

As a former tent camper, I had a lot of stuff already. Bought good tires, battery, and replacement mattresses for the PUP, scavenged just about everything else. Fixed broken stuff, bought used, bought on clearance. And loved every minute of it.

Orchid likes this.
  19. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

[LOL][LOL] This made me laugh until had a coughing fit!

Same thing going on at my daughter's house, since she's been working from home. :laugh: She is making her husband put on an entire addition now.

She has already made him pressure wash the outside, replace the shutters, do some remodeling in both their bathrooms, build her a pantry, and maybe some things I'm forgetting.

I know he wishes she would go back to the office already, but may never be happening. Work from home been extended indefinitely for her. Poor SIL. [LOL]

Rik Peery and Sjm9911 like this.
  20. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Have one and hate it. Had one in a prior home and hated it as well. Need to replace rollers, but putting it off. Really thinking about replacing it with french doors.

Orchid likes this.