WRECKED 2011 Starcraft comet 1020 rebuild

Discussion in 'Checkout My Rig !' started by what have i done, Jul 22, 2019.

1. what have i done

what have i done New Member

I buy a fair # of wrecked vehicles , fix them up, drive for a couple years and sell. Ive been doing this for over 30 yrs..

Well a few weeks ago I was looking online at an insurance auction and seen this popup.. The trouble with the online auctions is the pictures are not the best and often doesnt show all the damage. BUYER Beware

Well I ended up being high bidder on this 2011 starcraft. there were no interior pics, but it had AC looked 1/2 way decent and I got it for just under $600 so the risk was minimal

Damage was worse than pics showed. left rear lift was damaged, interior had significant paneling damage and of course the rear damage i could see.

I was able to straighten the lift corner brace. spring and cables were reused. I was able to raise and lower the roof finally.

I tore it apart the rear. I Built a new frame for the rear. I found some heavier gauge diamond plate and a buddy helped me bend it to the frame I built. I still have a fair amount to do inside and out but I am pretty stoked on my low Budget popup. raised showing side damage.jpg interior wire mess.jpg corner damage.jpg rear opened up.jpg new rear panel.jpg new panel in place.jpg raised showing side damage.jpg interior wire mess.jpg interior wire mess.jpg

AlexVanEks, hq308, BillyMc and 3 others like this.
  2. what have i done

These are the pics the insurance company had listed in the online auction

Attached Files:

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

For the price you paid you should be able to repair the unit at minimal cost and lots of labor. Good luck with the project

4. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Looks like you got a great deal!

5. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nice, I would rather deal with smashed wood instead of rotted wood.

what have i done and megcabra like this.
  6. 1REDBEARD

1REDBEARD Active Member

Very nice! Good luck on your repairs. Also with that price you could definately get that back and then some when you flip it.

what have i done likes this.
  7. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I like the work you're doing. The craftsmanship is certainly better than from the factory.

8. what have i done

I am probably going to regret it, The camper will not be 100%, but I am putting it together and will be camping this weekend.. I have a bajillion things I should be doing, but I think a weekend away will help me recharge. Then get back to the 1920 farmhouse I am rehabbing.

Friends are camping about an hr away, their big camper with slideouts will be the central hub.. I just need a sleeping area with a/c. So this project is far enough along to get me through the weekend

9. AlexVanEks

AlexVanEks Member

I'm eager to see how you do this! I love a challenge and I have some reconstruction of my own to tackle. Looking forward to seeing more!