WTB: 1973 Starcraft Starflite 6 lift arms x2

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Slapdash Garage, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Slapdash Garage

Slapdash Garage Member

Hey,

Some from the general forum suggested I post here for my issue.

I bought a 1973 Starcraft Starflite 6 two days ago for a great price and the thing is in great shape, including that four-decade old canvas. The plan is to blog out the resto process, but Wifey and I want to do a shakedown run before the the full restoration, before the winter.

To do that however, we need to be able to crank the damn thing up. The two rear lift posts are toast and I need to replace those, but can't seem to find them – anywhere. Not even Starcraft, who no longer supports these vintage rigs.

I've tried eBay, Canvas Replacements, CL and a few other local channels to no avail. Basically, I have the old arms, but it appears that the PO had the cables snap on him and they got a little crunched. Then he tried to straighten them, then I tried to straighten them, but I still can't get those suckers to slide into each other like a hot knife through corn-on-the-cob buttah.

Anywho, CR was able to give me a part number, 0206610. So if you have any floating around or know where I can get them, please let me know.

I'm new to popups and RVs in general, but I am a fairly handy fella.

I'm also going to need inner cables, wheel bearings, three tires (5.3 x 12), tail light lenses and a rear side marker lens.

Thanks for reading my novel.

2. backwoodzbum

backwoodzbum New Member

It is going to be tough finding parts for a camper that vintage. I would look at retrofitting a newer set of lift arms. Or find a good steel shop and have them made. Good luck with your adventure.

3. backwoodzbum

backwoodzbum New Member

4. Slapdash Garage

Slapdash Garage Member

Thanks for the info and the link. I've thought about a retrofit, but trying to figure out which would be easier, finding old bits, or figuring out 'new' ones.

Also found a couple of near-scrap ones around here and we're trying to see if we can snag the bits without having to take the whole carcass.

I have a call into a fab shop too, just waiting to hear back.

The process continues.

Thanks for the help!

5. BushwickBill

BushwickBill Member

im sure they are like the ones on my 78 starcraft 3 pieces that slide into each other should not be to hard to get some made you will get a better price quote (more accurate) if you take the old ones to fab shop so they can see it rather than explaining on phone and don't stop at just one shop prices may vary some people charge more for there time than others

6. Slapdash Garage

Slapdash Garage Member

Thanks, think I'm gonna start my fab shop parade on Monday to see what I can come up with.

Thanks!

7. Slapdash Garage

Slapdash Garage Member

Does anyone know if the arms from an '83 will fit a '73?

8. backwoodzbum

backwoodzbum New Member

9. backwoodzbum

backwoodzbum New Member

10. Slapdash Garage

Slapdash Garage Member

Thanks for the link!

11. Slapdash Garage

Slapdash Garage Member

All righty, some progress has been made, but I still need some advice from my fellow Garage Dwellers.

Long story short, all the fab shops I approached were less than fabulous. None could fix the broken ones, some didn't even want to get involved and others flat out had no time. Even my local RV Super Centers told me 'good luck with that, we're not touchin' it'.

So I ended up buying the arms from the '83 in the Ebay listing above (awesome seller by the way, great comms, accurate descriptions, took the time to take extra pics for me, etc.).

Anyway, the 'new' arms from the '83 work awesome, and feature stainless pulleys, but the top most section of the arm is a full 2 inches shorter than the original. I believe I can solve this with 2-inch blocks of wood secured under each post, but the question now is: How does this, if it all, affect inner cable length? Also, I cannot find anywhere, not even the popup parts joint, what the original length of the INNER cables should be, so if anyone knows, I'm all ears. I have one complete inner cable from the original arms, but I figured after 40 years of popping up, this puppy was stretched like a swayback out for the final graze.

So that's that. What do you think?

12. BushwickBill

BushwickBill Member

if you can adjust the main cable that comes from under pup so that the lift is not starting to pop up when lifted 2 in then seems you should get your desired height when poped up.as cable length goes I don't have an answer for ya

13. Slapdash Garage

Slapdash Garage Member

Awesome. Thanks!

14. thehoppes

thehoppes New Member

This has been a very informative read. Now I'm scared, but only a little. DH and I just bought a 75 Starcraft. Needs new cables, has good posts. A lot of restoration done already. We'll see. Good luck with yours! Happy wagging!

15. Slapdash Garage

Slapdash Garage Member

It's been an adventure already and we haven't even left the driveway!

I may be collecting a free set of the same lift arms as ours, no modifications needed, tomorrow, so we'll see what that brings.

Today's adventure included chasing down 12V electrical gremlins. The PO wired the trailer lights with Romex and some interesting connections. I can get my brake lights on, blinkers, hazards, etc., but when attempting to revitalize my clearance lights I get a little fussy. Sometimes some of them work, other times some others work. None all at once.

I have a handy dandy test light, but when I test one clearance light, I get power. Then I'll test the next one, and get power or no power, then go back to the first one that had power and it doesn't have power! Now I know most people wouldn't give a hoot about clearance lights, especially when the 'clearance' lights are lower than my tow rig, but I'm the type o' fella that likes things to work, especially when they're wicked cool and vintage. I re-checked my ground at the tongue and the connectors are brand-new. And the lights are screwed in tight as well.

And when I pulled a tail light out is was wired with household wire nuts. Is this common on antique popups?

I'm not giving up though. Although we are racing to squeeze in a trip before the apples freeze.

16. Slapdash Garage

Slapdash Garage Member

And good luck with yours!

17. Slapdash Garage

Slapdash Garage Member

This just in: I did finally manage to get my arms up. And the roof went with it!

I did the retrofit option and put the 1983 arms into my 1973. With the exception of getting the wrong rear cables (PO) and running the cables incorrectly initially (current owner, CO, aka Me-O), I did manage to make it work. I just trimmed the rear cables, re-swaged them and added in my new personally swaged inner cables as well.

The cables still need adjustment however, as one rear side doesn't like to slide down as much as the rest of them.

We also managed to get the canvas back in (mostly) and will be hopefully buttoning that back up this weekend, for a re-maiden voyage/shakedown the following weekend.

The trailer lights still need attention, but that will come in time.

The saga continues...