WV - Seneca Shadows

Discussion in 'West Virginia' started by stroze, Jul 29, 2013.

1. stroze

stroze New Member

We just spent some time at Seneca Shadows campground. It's managed by the US Forest Service. It was beautiful and very close to Seneca Rocks. We stayed in the shaded "C" loop which is electric. They also have many tent sites with a view of the rocks. Managers were helpful and friendly. I would definitely go back! Use Recreation.gov to make reservations.
    Other points of interest in the area besides Seneca Rocks are Spruce Knob (highest point in WV), Seneca Caverns, and an awesome swimming hole nearby. There are lots of hiking and rock climbing opportunities. We also made a trip to Cass Scenic Railroad which is about 1 hour south. Best thing about it all - NO CELL PHONE SERVICE!

2. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We like that area, we normally come in from the west and go out to the east into VA. I could sit for hours and watch the climbers. Great camping in the forest campgrounds.

This year we went by the rocks on our way to monticello, figured it would be a nice drive. But climbing up and into the valley and climbing out and back down out of the valley and a 400 mile drive on 2 lane roads. I think in the future we will spend the night in the valley.

3. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Welcome from Virginia. Thanks for the reveiw. We have been to Seneca Rocks and Spruce Knob several times but never have camped there. It's a nice day trip when we stay in Luray, Va. Spruce Knob is my favorite. There's lots of nice hiking in that area.

Campit

4. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

Good deal!!! It's on my list.. I usually boondock about 30 miles from there, but always wanted to stop.

5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Spruce Knob has a beautiful and peaceful CG. There is free camping along Gandy Creek. And within 5 miles of Spruce Knob is Middle Mt. CG.

6. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

^Thanks for the info, joet! I hope there's something on the net. I'm gonna check there.

Campit

7. darren.hiers

darren.hiers Tapatalk User

We are looking to book a few night at Seneca Shadows this spring/summer. I'm looking forward to this trip since it will be our first time @ this campground!! :)

1988 Coleman Newport (RESTORED)
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 extended cab

8. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Welcome from western pa. Never stayed at seneca bit would like to some day

9. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

Welcome from Wisconsin.

Thanks for the review, My wife is from WV had been to the area when she was younger.

Sounds like a trip for next year.

10. darren.hiers

darren.hiers Tapatalk User

AMEN! To no cell phone service!!

1988 Coleman Newport (RESTORED)
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 extended cab

11. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

There is no easy to get into that valley. But it's worth that first view of the rocks. [:D].

I think all the roads going in have to that area have sections with 10+% grades. If you have not driven in steep mountains pulling a camper, used your gears to slow down.

12. Lazy Hiker

Lazy Hiker New Member

[PU] Another "thumbs-up" for Seneca Shadows CG. Based on the positive comments in this thread, we stayed there last weekend and had a great experience! This was also our maiden voyage with our pop-up, and it could not have gone better.

Bathrooms were clean, plenty of places for the dog to play, and the view of a golden Seneca Rocks at sunset is amazing! Camp staff was also very friendly and inviting.

While there, we hiked Seneca Rocks and visited Spruce Knob- both are worth your time.

We look forward to going back down and exploring Dolly Sods in the near future.

13. Beecoach

Beecoach Member

If you don't mind roughing it a bit, there's a primitive cg at Dolly Sods. No electricity and there might be a well. Plenty of wildlife, deer, bear, Hawks and maybe an eagle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk