Wyalusing State Park - Near Prairie Du Chien

Discussion in 'Wisconsin' started by CamperMike, Sep 3, 2013.

1. CamperMike

CamperMike Member

This is a beautiful park. We camped over the holidaty weekend, Fr-Sun night. The park located where the Wisconsin river joins the Mississipp. There's lots of hiking of varying difficulty, great views off the bluff at multiple locations, Small caves and waterfalls to see, and a nice beach is available on the Mississippi river down the road at Wyalusing county park. There are two campgrounds to choose from. Most sites are "dry", but a few sites in both campgrounds do have electric. You are pretty far away from any major highways, so the park is pretty quiet at night. Most sites in both campgrounds appear to be level.

Homestead campground: It is mostly wooded, and most sites are a good size. All sites are reasonably well separated from one another with brush or trees. There are no showers or flush toilets in this campground; you need to drive a few minutes to the Wisconsin Ridge campground for that.

Wisconsin Ridge campground: This campground is much more open, and some of the sites are closer together. However, the bluff sites have a beautiful view, and you are right near the camp store, and the shower building.

Pictures of all of the campsites can be found at wyalusing.org, which I found very helpful when reserving our site. We stayed in site #250 in the Homestead campground. Our particular site was surrounded by trees and backed up to a pine forest. I would definitely stay in that area of the campground again as all of the sites there were large and well shaded.

Overall, we had a great time at this park. We also went on a short canoe trip on the Wisconsin river which was lots of fun. There is just a lot to do in this area.

2. the_dingman

the_dingman New Member

Wyalusing State Park is somewhere I've been camping for the last 21 years, both with my parents growing up and now with my own family. Over the years, I've taken friends (whom now frequent the park on their own) and after bringing my then-girlfriend/now-wife - we decided to get married there at Point Lookout, even though we live a few hours away.

The park is beautiful with lots to do, great trails and activities. The views are amazing. Go there!

3. Andy G.

Andy G. Member

We are at Wyalusing right now, staying in the Wisconsin Ridge campground, site 121E. Beautiful and quiet, right across the road from the bluff. Only downside is that it seems that we set up right on top of a large ant hill! Bathrooms and showers are clean and in good repair, and park employees are friendly and helpful. Next time, I'd try for something in the 140-150 range, which is slightly higher, and closer to the store.

4. collinb

collinb New Member

We're just a week or so behind you in site 111E on the Wisconsin Ridge.
    Yes lots of ants. But easily managed. Bad year for gnats after all the flooding of WI & Miss rivers.
    Two minor complaints: 1) Insufficient venting in the bathrooms & showers. They get really stuffy. 2) No soap tray in the showers. Otherwise really clean and nice.
    It is a short drive to the local attractions like the Villa Louis. Fresh warm curds on Thursdays at many local establishments.
    Pics
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/55001392@N08/albums/72157709700831432

Andy G. likes this.
  5. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

So being from Illinois and camping in a lot of Illinois state parks and Wisconsin state parks. I have to say Wisconsin state parks rate well above Illinois from a facility stand point. Wisconsin does such a good job keeping up on the facilities.

Andy G. likes this.
  6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Ladiesman likes this.