Wyoming season winding down

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by gladecreekwy, Oct 13, 2019.

1. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

4803CF82-82D2-48BA-A87E-1D817E3E9766.jpeg 44556767-0C1A-4C43-8714-4C6B8854C9E4.jpeg 38BD5541-4FB1-4785-BA53-A26F38800F0F.jpeg F6008F4B-58CD-4F22-BC8C-053C0BFDCEE8.jpeg 4966A014-7E14-4392-B55D-B3005583CA30.jpeg 10 degrees when we woke up.

megcabra, BillyMc, J Starsky and 6 others like this.
  2. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

thanks for posting photos!

3. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Active Member

Great photos, 10 wow thats cold, it looked nice and dry, not so nice when it's cold and damp

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

WOW

5. gladecreekwy

It hit 65 that same day. Snowed there Thursday gone by Friday. That’s Wyoming for ya.

6. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

I saw the title and chuckled because I thought I heard MT, WY and/or CO had a blizzard already this year. Amazing photos. Is that a 184BS Baja? How do you like it and how did it work in the cold?

7. gladecreekwy

A7281584-7182-4F31-8E41-9FF986BE47AF.jpeg
    It’s the 174bh Baja. We love it. It checked all the boxes for us. Huge ground clearance, large propane and water tanks, light (sub 4000# fully loaded) single axle. Compared to our PUP its awesome in the cold. We did manage to freeze the water pump that morning. By 2 it was working fine. I need to open up a vent under the bunk where it is to keep some warm air moving that way. Last trip last year it was 8 deg but for some reason it didn’t freeze.

rjhammetter likes this.
  8. rjhammetter

Awesome! Nice write up. We love our 184BS too. Checked every box for us. I wish I had a Baja Edition, but no big deal. Boy, from the outside ours are identical except the rectangular border of the slide. Every window, port and accessory is in the same place. The best way to get warm air to the pump is probably a vent through the bathroom wall. Thanks for the heads up on that. Hopefully my wife will let me take ours out in the fall/winter someday... :rolleyes: or I'll go by myself... ;)

gladecreekwy likes this.
  9. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

They are identical on the inside except that slide. The 174 is goofy (to me) as it's a BH with a queen bed (so a family of 4) but a two person dinette. Best friend has the 174BH Baja and they make it work. He usually sits in the isle on a chair. Thankfully his girls are both small. Though they mainly use it for sleeping and spend most time outside.

gladecreekwy likes this.
  10. gladecreekwy

Yeah the dinette was the only compromise for us. We didn’t want a slide out so we deal with the small table. Got a couple of cool folding stools. We don’t spend that much time inside so it works for us. Works for Yahtzee. 1A7CFDD1-416E-4F1D-AB54-154D58483184.jpeg

rjhammetter likes this.
  11. rjhammetter

I hear ya. We didn't want the slide, but caved because we wanted the bigger table and more floor space. On our first night of our first trip with our brand new 184BS, Mother Nature provided us an opportunity to see both the pros and cons of the slide. Severe T-storms all evening and through the night. So we cooked, ate, played Uno and move freely about the cabin without tripping on each other or feeling cramped. In the morning, water on the floor - our biggest fear. On my hands and knees with a headlamp on, I traced it to an improperly seated slide seal. I went out in the rain and ran my fingers under the membrane along the slide, which seemed to fix it after that. Since then, I check the seal every time we set up. The motor doesn't sound or feel great opening or closing - we'll have to see about the longevity. Ultimately, like you, we are only inside when we need to be. I'm a huge fan of these 154BH, 174BH and 184BS as great little family TTs and alternatives to PUPs.

gladecreekwy likes this.
  12. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

The 195RB Baja is on my short list for going dark.

gladecreekwy likes this.
  13. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I like the Baja series, except they don't have enough windows. I like going off grid for peace and quiet so the high ground clearance is great, but without hook ups for the AC it needs to have more air flow. I like the ones with the Queen up front and bunks in the back best.

14. gladecreekwy

That’s one of the things I miss about my pup. So much light and ventilation. Never really hot where we live/camp so not so much of an issue for us. Ours is queen up front with bunks for the kids. Love this trailer. Kept the pup though, couldn’t part with it.

BillyMc likes this.
  15. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

You are in one of my bucket list areas, but it'll have to wait for retirement (in summer). Sometimes I wish I were from the middle of the country so I could get to see more places. Here I can go a couple hours east and nothing but water. DW likes the beach so we do go to the beach, but I find it an over rated waste of time and money. It's hot, sticky, and packed with rude people.

gladecreekwy likes this.
  16. gladecreekwy

I’m originally from the east coast. Been in Wyoming for 25 years. I do miss the ocean but not all the people. We never camp within sight of another human and that’s just the way we like it.