XM Radio

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by gusbell, Nov 27, 2011.

1. gusbell

gusbell New Member

For any of you that are satellite radio fans, you may have interest in this. I have used Sirius radio for years since I commute about 70 miles each way for work. MyWife drives our new TV (Chev Silerado) which came with XM. Since the merger, they are both (Sirius ands XM) carrying very similar programing and you can get the best of Sirius with XM for a few extra dollars which gives you Nascar and NFL games to go with XM's already strong Talk, News, Music and Sports lineup.

So I was looking for a way to make the switch to Xm and get the benefit of a secondary radio discount instead of paying $16.00 a month to each of them. Save a few bucks. One of the things I've liked about my sirius was that I had a radio that had the docking station and I could take it with us camping and use a home dock with a speaker to listen while camping. I wanted to keep that functuality.

Enter the XP Snap radio.

It's a very basic radio that has 5 presets, is on a gooseneck stand that plugs into your 12v lighter outlet and attaches to a magnetic antenna on a 20' thin cord. It can connect to your stereo system or portable radio through either an aux plug like many of todays car radios have on the faceplate or through an FM tranmitter that lets you select a unused FM frequency in your area to tranmit at and then tune your radio(s) to.

Easy to install, very easy to take from vehicle to vehicle. If you wanted to use it in both a personal car and work vehicle and for our purposes, in a daily driver and then in the camper when we go camping. If you have a 12 volt outet already in your camper, your set to go. If not, you can wire one in easy enough by connecting to a 12v appliance or light and have a spot to plug this in. Then just tune your portable radio or boombox or stereo in the camper if you have one and you have satellite radio.

best of all, this radio is on sale now. I walked out of Best Buy with it for $30 and added a 4 year protection plan for an addition $10. Installed in the daily driver and activated in 15 minutes and with a promotional discount, got the next 5 months of XM Premiere service (Everything they have) for $33 including taxes ($6.50 a month).

Here's a link for those of you that are "radio campers" and might be interested. It can be bought about anywhere right now for $30 and if its selling for list, XM has a $30 rebate for those companies that are not already discounting it. Just Google "XM SNAP"

XM Snap Video Review

2. gusbell

gusbell New Member

One other thing to mention. The FM transmitter in this radio is much better than what I have seen in satellite radios the past. Just for giggles, I went out and turned the radio on in the car and then came in the house and turned on the stereo which is about 15'-18' from the car. Tuned to the correct frequency and there is my station. I'm looking at mounting a 12v socket to the bottom of my frame near where my 120v outlet is on the rear passenger side of the camper. Should be perfect to allow me to plug in the Snap and have my boombox there close to it for either a direct connect cable (which comes with the snap radio) or transmit through FM.